September 2, 2014

Lost season three letdowns

by Erin Martell, posted May 31st 2007 11:04AM
Adewale Akinnuoye-AgbajeSeason Three of Lost had some of the best episodes in the show's history, but no season is perfect. From bad flashbacks to bizarre death fake-outs, this season had its shortcomings. No one can nitpick like a Lost fan, so let's get started! Feel free to share your Season Three criticisms as well.

So Long, Eko: After Season Two ended, I thought that the writers would take a break from the Tailie-killing. Eko was one of my favorite new characters, and I had hoped that he would stick around a bit longer. What really bugged me about Eko's death was that fact that he survived the hatch implosion only to get killed by the Monster five episodes into Season Three. I know that Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje wanted out of the show, but his death seemed so random.

The Winter Hiatus: Several of my favorite shows went the midseason hiatus route this year, and it was like death. Jericho was basically destroyed by its hiatus, and the winter break did some harm to Lost as well. The first part of Season Three almost felt like its own mini-season. For my money, the break could have worked had it been a few weeks shorter. I'm definitely looking forward to a break-free Season Four.

Nikki and Paulo: I actually liked the idea of seeing past Lost seasons through the eyes of the other 815 survivors, but Nikki and Paulo were a disaster. Perhaps it was the way they were introduced--as though they had always been a part of the group--that rubbed fans the wrong way. All of a sudden, there they were. Going on outings with Sayid and the A-Team. Sassing Sawyer at the ping-pong tournament. Who would have thought that Kiele Sanchez and Rodrigo Santoro, two incredibly gorgeous actors, would be unwelcome on a show with so much eye candy?

Guest Star Bai Ling: "Stranger in a Strange Land" featured one of the worst flashback sequences of all time, and Bai Ling was largely to blame. There didn't seem to be any chemistry between Bai Ling and Matthew Fox, and their romantic scenes merely caused me to roll my eyes. The woman has destroyed every role, every TV episode, and every film that I've seen her in. I'll give a million dollars to anyone who can reasonably explain this woman's appeal.

The Island and Sperm Count: Season Three answered a lot of questions about DHARMA, the Others, and the island in general. The oddest revelation had to be that a man's sperm count is five times greater on the island. I can handle a four-toed statue, but super-sperm? I still don't know what to think. This fact seemed to exist only to explain Sun's pregnancy, which was another less-than-compelling plot development. I'd have no problem with the writers ignoring this detail in later seasons.

Mikhail's Nine Lives: When Locke threw Mikhail into the sonic fence, it was one of the coolest death scenes I'd ever witnessed. Unfortunately, Patchy wasn't really dead. It's one thing to leave a character in peril to create suspense, but making him look dead only to bring him back later is frustrating. Compare Mikhail's "death" with Locke's gunshot wound in "The Man Behind the Curtain." We didn't see Locke die, but he looked hurt enough for fans to be worried. His reappearance in the season finale was thrilling. Mikhail just looked dead, and his reappearance was explained in an unremarkable bit of dialogue. Patchy pulled another fake death when Desmond spear-gunned his chest, only to kill himself with a hand grenade minutes later. If he shows up alive in Season Four, I'm out (OK, not really).

Keep an eye out for a Lost highlights post! In the meantime, post your own criticisms below.

celisd

Can anyone explain the polar bears?

June 10 2007 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
New Man

I am sure that Mikhail's ability to come back to life has something to do with time travel. The whole show has been based on if people could change their past, and being on the island is giving them that opportunity. Mikhail, for whatever reason, has mastered that ability, and I believe Locke is catching on, which is why Ben needs Mikhail and fears Locke. This is my theory, and I'm sure the writers have their explanation, so there's no need to be concerned with it now, just let it happen!

June 07 2007 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kris

is it just me or in the episode when ben runs away from his dad and he thinks he see's his mum and everything and goes into the forest he bumps into richard (i think it is) and ben is only a child in this episode. and now in the present day ben looks to be in his 40's but richard looks the same age as when he met ben all that time ago which must be at least 20 - 30 years ago. if anyone can explain this. please e-mail me. kris.wright2@hotmail.co.uk

June 04 2007 at 9:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Catherine

I agree with #49- Charlie may not be dead. But I think we're the only two on the planet who think that.

June 04 2007 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

Two questions:
1/ Why didn't Charle hold his breath and swim out through the window which had just had a hole blown in it?
2/ Why do some of the others not seem to have aged? scene

June 03 2007 at 11:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
taylor

Charlie is the best person on the show and beleive that he is not dead.Lots of other people have "died" before so I dont think he will.

June 03 2007 at 11:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Josh

Charlie didnt choose to die, he was walking outa the room after he disabled the jamming thing, and he muttered "so much for destiny". but he got the message from penny and was watching that, also if anyone had cared to notice desmond couldnt open the door from outside the room due to the lack of handle. charlie died to save desmond. there was no way of stoping the whole station from flooding killing both of them with out closing that door. also if he didnt die then desmonds visions would have been just another of them things like the voices in the forest that just seem to fade into oblivion.

June 03 2007 at 4:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

I'm not sure that Mikhail's return should be seen as a dissapointment.
It might be part of the story.

The whole airplane with all the bodies of the passengers has been found...and yet, we see them as being still alive.

Locke gets out of his wheelchair and doesn't die after being shot.

We see that Nikki and Paolo are still alive when they are buried.

Jack's father somehow is still alive at the end of season 3.

Something is going on and I think Mikhail's 'resurrection' is part of it.

June 02 2007 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
loon

The reason they showed the episode when jack got his tattoo in my opinion was to trick us in the season finale.
When i started watching the first scene where jack is in the plane with the beard and I saw a lot of Asian people in the plane, I came to the conclusion that it was when returned from Asia.

June 01 2007 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Staci

I didn't understand Jack's flashbacks in the finale. If they are happening in present time after they were rescued from the island (which is what we are supposed to assume), then why does Jack keep asking about and reffering to his father as if he is alive?

June 01 2007 at 9:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply