August 1, 2014

Katie Couric is failing because of her voice

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 1st 2007 4:04PM

CouricThat's the opinion of New York Post columnist Cindy Adams.

Besides the hype and media attention and marketing mistakes made by CBS, Adams thinks that it's Couric's voice is turning off viewers. That regular network news viewers want the stronger, deeper voice of a male anchor like Charles Gibson or Brian Williams.

Adams lays out her case on why Couric is failing, and reason "D" is this:

D) Her speech level is pitched too high. Harsh news, life's gritty realities, Iraq's body count must be delivered in lower notes. It adds to the story's weight. If that's sexist, sorry. It's fact. What God giveth, CBS cannot changeth. Her girlish voice, girlish figure, girlish face is why we adored America's sweetheart. Our Katie - not their Kenny.

Adams also says that Couric's perkiness doesn't help, because viewers are used to seeing her on a morning program. She even compares Couric's bid for "gravitas" to Pamela Anderson being shoved into a sports bra.

I'm sure Adams will not be getting a Christmas card from Couric at the end of the year.

[via Mediabistro]

Phish

evertime i see KC i wanna slap her, she's just way too irritating!

June 04 2007 at 3:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VSJ

#8 - I could not agree more! The network news is about
as irrelevant as the seniors who watch it... I don't know of anyone who watches CBS, NBC, and ABC for news. The networks can dream up any excuse they would like, however, the bottom line is that it does not really matter if the news is anchored by Couric, Williams or Pee Wee Herman, it's simply no longer relevant.

June 03 2007 at 10:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jmalcolm

liberal this and liberal that. Oh look, its raining, must be because the liberals hate America. Give it a rest.

The article is somewhat on target. Katie is a fluff act and does well on cooking segments and cutting up between stories. The Today show was a good match for her personality and now Meredith Viera is totally screwing up that post while Rose screws up the view. How about everybody go back to the job they were good at and we all start over. The Today show would breathe a huge sigh of relief to have Katie back. The View could go back to being about cooking and shoes with Meredith there and all would be right with the world again.

June 03 2007 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryofNorVA

As Comic-book Guy on "The Simpsons" noted, it's only people over 70 that watch network news anymore. And that's their problem, they've become irrelevant amidst all the cable news shows and the internet's news sources. They're doomed regardless of who's anchoring, it's a has-been method of news delivery.

June 03 2007 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaymez

Ever think that Katie might not be the problem, but, the problem lies with the damage done by Dan Rather? CBS lost a lot of creditibility from that mess.

Me, I won't watch the evening news most of the time. I'd rather get my news online where I can do my own follow ups and find multipul sources to back up what is being presented. I consider ALL news broadcasts to be biased and I don't believe ANY of them give the full picture.

I have as much trust in the media as I have in used car dealers.

I don't believe the situation in Iraq is as bad as the media makes it out to be. I don't believe it's as positive as Fox tries to make it look, either. I believe they are somewhere in the middle. It ain't good, but, it ain't all bad, either.

On the rare ocassion that I have a chance to watch the evening news, I watch NBC. I always have, don't know why.

June 02 2007 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Porchland

DudeBoyz, a shill is someone who pushes a particular product without disclosing her agenda. I think you mean that she's shrill -- loud and high-pitched -- which she's not.

I think she spent so long as a happy-happy style morning host that people can't take her seriously on the evening news. I suspect Diane Sawyer, who has a much more even delivery, would have fared better.

June 02 2007 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I agree, with what everyone has said. She has an agenda and on a major network that shouldn't be the case. If she was on MSNBC or CNN or Fox we all know they already have agendas but she is supposed to only report the news.

And her voice sounds like a better excuse than "she's a woman", ABC had a few different woman report the news and they all did a fine job.

And she isn't likeable for a serious news show, the fake news of The Today Show are different than her new job.

June 02 2007 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doug

I totally agree with 1 and 2. She's a liberal bitch with an agenda, love Hillary hates conseratives. CBS let her go I can stand her....

June 01 2007 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol

Although I don't like Katie Couric's voice, I don't think that is the big problem. It is what she says with her voice that is the problem and also her superior, know-it-all attitude. She needs to retire with all her millions and forget about being a news anchor. She is just not one bit likeable.

June 01 2007 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DudeBoyz

I don't think it is her voice. I think it is her credibility, frankly.

She's been an over-talkative liberal shill for years, and I think that alone irritated the core audience that watches TV news. It may have been fine for that hipper liberal crowd that gets their news from the internet, but the older folks that actually sit down and watch the Evening News don't seem to be warming up to her.

Yes, Dan Rather hung on too long and just flat out embarrassed himself, and yes, he was VERY liberal and did his fair share of attacking conservatives (like that Bush 41 battle on the air).

BUT - he had paid his journalistic dues. He had been out in the field for decades. He had put in the time. He was not just a talking head - he was a NEWSMAN.

They should have kept Bob Scheifer (sp?) - he did an excellent job. Or maybe John Roberts (who later moved to CNN) would have worked out well.

But Couric? That's like putting Rosie O'donnell or Doctor Laura on to read the news. Blowhards all. :)

June 01 2007 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply