September 30, 2014

David Greenwalt hired to run Moonlight

by Brett Love, posted Jun 2nd 2007 4:00PM
david greenwaltWhen CBS first announced their new show Moonlight there were a lot of people out in tvland that raised an eyebrow. A vampire? Who just happens to be a private detective? Romantic drama with a mortal? It wasn't a tough jump to Angel. I was willing to wait and see, because there are a lot of ways the show could go. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a rip-off of Angel.

Now comes word that in addition to recasting the female lead, the network has brought in David Greenwalt as Executive Producer/Showrunner. Yes, the same David Greenwalt who was a writer/producer for Buffy The Vampire Slayer, and is credited as co-creating Angel. It's getting a little harder to give anyone involved the benefit of the doubt.

That doesn't mean the show isn't going to be good. I'd go so far as to say the addition of Greenwalt makes the show look like a more attractive option for your television viewing schedule. Along with the his Buffy and Angel work, he was also the showrunner for NBC's Kidnapped, and ABC's Miracles. While both of those shows came and went rather quickly, it wasn't because they were poorly made.

VDI_Nick

This news was so huge that my friend actually called me at work to tell me about it. At first I was completely outraged. I mean to even hear they were completely ripping off Angel (And yes, this is a rip off. To a 'T') I arrived home and went onto CBS to check out this Moonlight I was so upset about and then I found out not only was it a rip off, but a poorly done rip off. And then began the reading off sites. I began reading fans saying that Whedon fans should be more open minded and give Moonlight a chance. You know what I say to that? Move outta your parents basement and get in touch with reality. If for one second you cannot see how this may upset people who followed these amazing shows over the years, then you were never really apart of that. And if you happened to call yourself an Angel Fan, you never understood the show. Moonlight is an absolute mockery of an empire Joss Whedon created. The only good thing I can say to everyone is that at least this show will be airing Friday’s so we won’t have to put up with it much longer. Thank you to everyone who assisted with the downfall of original television and a special thanks to David Greenwalt. I hope your 30 pieces of silver was worth it, Judas.

July 15 2007 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erika_angelfan

I have to say that I just saw the preview for Moonlight, and although I am a huge fan of this type of show, it will never be as good as Angel. So now comes the question, can anyone, anywhere, ever come up with something new and original? Vamp, private eye, in the big city trying to redeem his soul through saving innocent victims from scary monsters that go bump in the night..... So to the writers out there trying to make a buck in Hollywood, stop going through the archives of great shows and come up with something that we havent already seen and love!!

July 15 2007 at 9:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aundine

Are you people insane?? Have you ALL bumped your heads and lost your minds?? HOW could you just turn over a leaf and say, "Oh, well, even if it's like ANGEL, I'll watch..." That's pretty much plagerism... I don't give a crap how many other shows Greenwalt has done! I haven't read a thing Whedon as said on this whole thing, but I was both annoyed and bothered by seeing Greenwalt's name on this! (Mostly disappointed...) I would probably have watched the show if it weren't for his name on it.

July 09 2007 at 6:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ToxicBaby

You know I had heard about this show and thought it looking interesting, but I had no idea it was a Greenwalt show. This sounds right up his alley, and now I'm really confident it will be one I'll watch.

June 05 2007 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vacelts

I miss Angel. So if Greenwalt can bring some of that back, I'm happy to have him. And if it looks a lot like Angel, I'm okay with that since I loved that show.

June 03 2007 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doug

Greenwalt should make it a better show. Hope he casts Emma Caulfield (Anya) as the girl friend. She's a very talented actress and it would add a little of the buffy/angel magic to the show. I hope he continues the vampire rules started in buffy.

This is one of the few fall shows i'm rooting for, hope its good.

June 03 2007 at 6:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
theConundrumm

the fact that Greenwalt had a hand in the brilliant first season of Eureka seems to have been overlooked... though only as a consulting producer, the show certainly had is trademark comedy-balanced-with-drama-thingy going on...

I was going to pass on Moonlight at first, mostly due to the fact that I have just finished watching all of Angel for the first time... but knowing Greenwalt is on board, here's me hoping there wont be any story element crossover...

June 03 2007 at 12:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Although I haven't liked everything David Greenwalt has done, he hasn't had one show on the air that was a total clunker. This is a smart move by CBS, even if it does appear on the surface like they're aiming for another "Angel".

Ron Koslow, who created "Beauty and the Beast", is also involved with "Moonlight", so you've now got two of the best tv sci-fi/fantasy writers working on the same show. Although I'm hearing the pilot wasn't that great, Greenwalt and Koslow should be able to come up with something compelling.

June 02 2007 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tess Capra

Please do not refer to Greenwalt without mentioning *Profit.* Man, I loved that show.

Actually, with *Profit,* *Jake 2.0,* and *Kidnapped,* he already has a "cancelled too soon" trifecta. Perhaps he and Tim Minear are having a contest.

June 02 2007 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stringer Bell

This sounds an awful lot like the Joe Pitt mysteries by Charlie Huston as well. Pitt (a vampyre) dates a mortal woman with AIDS, which he could cure by dooming her to be a vampyre as well. Incredible writing -- the Chandler of the undead.

June 02 2007 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply