July 29, 2014

Stargate Atlantis: Sunday

by Brett Love, posted Jun 2nd 2007 12:01PM
Paul McGillon(S03E17) OMG! liz <3s mike 4 rel!

i no! n did u hear bout teyla n shep!?!

Good grief. I'm just not sure what all of that even was. The one thing that has been nagging at me a little bit regarding Atlantis is that there have been too many unrelated, stand-alone, episodes. It's a problem that big brother SG-1 shares. It's a minor complaint though, because a lot of these episodes have actually been pretty good. "The Tao of Rodney" and "The Game" were both very fun. And "The Ark" had an interesting story behind it. With the season winding down though, it's high time for a multiple episode arc with a little more meat to it.

This wasn't it. A lot of this just left me scratching my head. From Teyla hinting about some mystery guy, to Dr. Weir and her When Harry Met Sally flirtation with Mike, to Rodney's bumbling marriage discussion with Katie. I think that there is room for some kind of a romantic story in Atlantis, but this was too much too fast. Especially when you consider what was the big story of the episode.

The death of Beckett is a big deal. I thought it deserved more than just a goofy side story about a day off and love in the air. He did go out a hero, as he saved Watson and his staff. It just seems like something as important as killing off one of your main characters is worth more than that. There should have been an enemy, some outside threat.

Instead, he died because of bungling by the Atlantis staff. Sure, those things happen. People make mistakes and there are consequences. But that's what red-shirts were invented for. Our characters are fallible and they get people killed. But the big deaths, like Beckett, should be handled with more care. It could have served as motivation for something much bigger.

Of all the stories leading up to the explosion, Sheppard and Ronon was my favorite. I liked his whole cocky explanation about playing for years, making it look easy, and Ronon's devastating one handed swing. Their discussion about past relationships was interesting as well, giving a little more back story for the characters.

I also liked the final scene with Beckett and Rodney. While I didn't really care for the story they used, that was a nice final scene for Beckett. Added to the thoughts about his sister that he shared with Katie, it also points to the possibility that we will be seeing a changed Rodney as we move along.

4 out of 7It was a big episode, and losing Beckett is sad, but I just can't shake the feeling that Atlantis could be so much more. The show is just kind of coasting right now. I am still optimistic that there are better things to come. For now though, I'm giving this one a 4, out of 7.

shakespear

Silly plot device.

Why did they kill him off? Contract dispute?

Will he come back? Torrent is your friend.... (stupid networks are not)

I for one welcome our new Kaylee Frye overlords...

June 03 2007 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

The only way Atlantis can have a "massive" storyline is if the whole city is blown up.

June 02 2007 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

Explosive tumours aren't the best idea ever. But your craving for a massive Atlantis story will be satisfied by the finale. It's massive. But I guess you already knew that.

June 02 2007 at 10:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Natrino

I think it shows that people do die in less than stellar ways, which is what I liked about it.

I don't like that he died, but I don't mind how he died.

June 02 2007 at 8:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

To answer above it's at least 2 episodes.

i thought the episode was good, and I liked how the doctor died.

HOWEVER.... what a pointless death. Plus why did he need to die? Do the writers have a clue what they are doing? Let's make him a regular and kill him off!? Plus the doctors on both shows are some of the best charaters, on Atlantis he IS the best charater, and they kill them off! Why?! I think the writers don't have a clue what they are doing and just pull things out of their ass for fun.

June 02 2007 at 4:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

The main hint of Carson not "dead" was the "ghost" at the end. Was it just in Rodney's head? Was it a spirit? Was it an ascended projection?

However

HUGE HONKING SPOILER

Seriously, skip this if you don't want a spoil

The "Save Carson" campaign impressed the producers enough that they will be bringing Carson back in season 4 for a couple of episodes. How exactly we don't lnow yet. We do know the producers admited that when they wrote his death in 'Sunday' they did plan a return point.

June 02 2007 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C. Hernandez

There were hints that he's not dead? The man was engulfed in flame, what hints were you seeing?

June 02 2007 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bryan Price

And are we so sure that he's actually dead?

There are hints that he might not actually be dead. This is Atlantis, remember!

June 02 2007 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply