November 28, 2014

The Sopranos: The Blue Comet

by Tom Biro, posted Jun 3rd 2007 11:41PM
Tony Soprano - The Blue Comet(S06E20) We had two weeks to wait for a new episode of The Sopranos, and the powers that be didn't throw us a double insult by making this week's show a waste of our time, that's for sure. Our own Rich Keller wrote a couple of days ago about a New York Post item suggesting that this week would be the culmination of the series and next week would settle us up. Not too far off the map, I'd have to say, either.

Big surprises aside (we'll save the spoilers for after the jump), it was great to see Artie and his restaurant (and New York Jets coach Eric Mangini with his wife) make an appearance, and the monstrous amount of foreshadowing that the opening scene showed us was pretty damn intoxicating, if you ask me. Hell, a good part of me forgot about all the little plotlines that were left open for us to ponder over the years. We're definitely going to get a run for our money in next week's episode, so if you haven't watched this week's yet, then fire up your DVR and get to it before finishing this post.

But let's get down to brass tacks, shall we? From the previews last week, it looked like Silvio was about to take action, but it wasn't clear whether he was going after Tony or another member of the Jersey crew. As it turned out, he was taking care of business that ultimately led to a whole lot of bloodshed, bloodshed that we knew would happen eventually. And who doesn't love the cinematography that makes this show what it was. From the white shoes on the feet of his prey to the white shoes he's later seen buffing up in the office, to the individual words drilling themselves into Dr. Melfi's head as she reads through the research about sociopaths, we're treated to something thrilling not only in story, but visually as well. Hell, I thought the cut / transition from Bobby walking into the back office to the guys making their "plans" together at the restaurant was awesome. That kind of thing kind of makes me wonder if it would ever be possible to make a show this solid into the printed word, and have it have the same impact on a reader.

As the word went down from Bobby to Paulie to Patsy on how the business to take down Phil went down, I guess we shouldn't have been surprised that there was a screw up. I'm sitting there thinking it might just happen, but there'd be repercussions, while the person I'm watching with was absolutely, positively sure that it wasn't Phil that was about to be killed. As it turned out, she was right, and I'm wondering if whacking Phil would have made any difference at all when it came down to it, as he had already told his crew to take care of things with Tony, Sil and Bobby.

Looking deeper into what went down tonight, though, just moments after Tony put his uncle into a state facility when his cashflow ran out, he basically gives Janice and her husband a big middle finger. Follow that with a brutal hit on Bobby in the train shop and you've got the makings for something that's been suggested by commenters here and elsewhere - that Janice would ultimately be the one after Tony in the end. I don't think that'll be the case based on how she reacted towards Carm and Meadow, but for just a few moments Chase & Co. had you thinking of that as a possibility. As for Patsy and Silvio being tagged by the New York crew outside the Bing (it was absolutely comical to see the strippers and patrons outside, though), it was bad enough to see the gunfire back and forth leave Sil in the car and possibly dead, but follow that up with a motorcycle rider getting tipped over then run down on the highway, and if that wasn't supposed to reiterate the chain of events about to take place, then nothing was.

You had to know that a bloodbath would ensue between New York and New Jersey. New York, specifically Phil, is all concerned about Tony's respect (or lack of it) for the Mafia, and Tony is sick and tired of dealing with the garbage that started when John started to get tough before getting picked up by the Feds. I've gotta say it's almost comical that the only reason that Tony might be alive at this point was because he happened to share a bit of information with the terrorist task force agent that he was involved with during Ade's workings with the Feds. That being said, I guess the agent and Tony have some sort of mutual respect for one another, playing from either side of the law.

I'm going to throw this week a solid 7, as I thought the way we're beginning to close the door on the lives of some people, and get an idea on who will be around at the end and who won't. I'm sad to see how Silvio Dante appears to be going, as I have always been into his character, but know that how he's been hit will only tick off Tony and the crew more. That said, I'm all out of predictions at this point and think that this will be more about whether we all "like" what the series ends with. It's been a long time coming, from production delays and split seasons to decisions on how long the series would live on and money issues between cast and producers.

What I do know is that based on what we had to see this week, I think we'll get what we deserve. We'll all debate forever whether we liked that so-and-so died or that this person or that one ended up looking like a good/bad guy/woman or whatever. We won't be getting an ending like Clue, and you won't be picking your favorite. There probably won't be any fanfic that people will be keeping tabs on when it's all said and done, like many other big television favorites. If Tony and his family ride off into the sunset of West Caldwell, Phoenix, or whatever - or they don't - it's been a great ride and I'm sure we'll all appreciate how much effort went into the creation of this strong of a show. Well, as long as it doesn't end up as one big dream. Oh, yeah - you all noticed that this week didn't open with Tony waking up, as this season has up to this point, as has been pointed out by many a commenter?

(The Sopranos - S06E20) How do you rate this episode?
1 - Worst21 (0.8%)
218 (0.7%)
337 (1.4%)
477 (2.8%)
5191 (7.1%)
6578 (21.4%)
7 - Best1782 (65.9%)

jmwefw

I have been hooked on the Soprano's since day 1. In Church yesterday I actually said a special intention for Tony Soprano. Silly you may say. Yes it probably is. The Sopranos's have always left you wanting more. As far as I am concerned as long as Phil {the great actor Frank Vincent} died and Tony{James Gandolfini} survived I was happy with the ending. Tony Sirico was never better. I will miss them and always keep them in my heart.

JMW Weehawken NJ and now Clearwater FL

June 11 2007 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
retired desert lady

pie oh my...it's Sunday and the final episode EVER...teach me tonight that the end of this episode MADE IN AMERICA will be everything everyone wants it to be...
the American dream.
You go Tony...and everyone else. I've loved this ride!!!
Thank you each and everyone.

June 10 2007 at 5:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
job1866

Tony and his crew, namely Paulie, will go after Phil and will prob spend most of the episode looking for him. They will eventually find him, with Paulie getting shot and killed and a nice big fist fight will ensue between Tony and Phil. Phil will prob get killed. When Tony does go to this Ice Cream Parlor at the end, the NY crew will murder Tony in front of his family, machine guns, broken glass . Nice and simple, sounds a tad disappointing, but all in all will be a satisfying episode. I just dont see anything real going on with the feds, or any member of his family, kids and wife getting killed. I see it all going down very simple. Watch this Sunday and see if I'm right.

June 07 2007 at 7:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dennydd

I know Chase has said from posted interviews, that he hasn't looked forward to the inevitable movie.

Do i think Tony will die? No. Although at this point many of us think that Paulie will whack him and although i do have some serious concerns as why tony, sil and bobby were the top 3 hits for NY, this won't happen. I do think a family member will be killed. I do believe it will be meadow ( my reasons to follow). Phil will somehow be followed by Tony's guys, be taken out and a call to the safehouse to confirm clears tony's mind. Remember that rifle bobby gave him? He motions to Pauli to go outside , rifle thrown in the back seat in a garbage bag. They stop either at the italian deli, sit outside and here comes Carmine. Scene shifts to the motel where tony's family is, either meadow or aj get done in. Tony doesn't know yet but will go ballistic. Back at the deli he makes Pauli and Carmine 2 seperate heads of the NY family.
Tony and pauli go for another ride. Big car pulls up...they each get out...Tony shows that wonderful fake smile as they shake hands securing the camarade of the new families of NY and Jersey. Tony reaches in the back seat..and blows the asshole away..showing Pauli the side writing of bobby's gift..."made in america"
Why i think it will be meadow either in a shooting or wrong person in car bombing, is the ice cream parlor. As other posters have stated previously, the acting group was there. Meadow and Dad went there always for ice creme. The family visits one last time. The FBI agent meets tony either here or at another location telling tony that we got the arabs at the bada bing and his info was helpful..Now we can focus on the new york gang..and you know Tony smiles and takes those deep breaths as only he can as he looks up to see the beautiful ducks up in the sky moving south for the winter.

June 07 2007 at 5:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

OK, someone please clear something up for me. It has been stated above that Carmella called Furio after learnng of Bobby's fate. I watched the episode again last night and I didn't see that at all. There was never a scene with Carm calling anyone, or even referencing such a call. Did I miss something or are people just throwing their own plot twists in?

Also, to clarify on a post made way up there on the blog somewhere regarding Paulie. It was not Paulie who made the comment that Phil was with his goomata (sp?) every week. Rather, it was Bobby.

And, if we are to glean anything from the previews for next week, both Paulie and Tony make it out of the safe house alive as they are shown in a vehicle together, with Tony driving.

June 07 2007 at 11:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

Carmella!!! It's got to be her! I truly believe she will be the end of Tony. I hate to see it happen because he does care so much for her, but she's not going to take it anymore. Waht so you think?

June 06 2007 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nywarden

A little blip just came across the bottom of the screen on News 12 in the entertainment report. Someone connected with Hollywood predicted the show would ebd in a big disaster. Don't think #82 is too far off. The Furio stuff with Carmella is intriguing also.

June 06 2007 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

"Well, as long as it doesn't end up as one big dream."

Oh, come on, you know if it ended with Bob Newhart waking up next to Suzanne Pleshette saying he'd just had the most craziest dream, it'd be genius. =)

But then, after Newhart, I think *every* show should end that way. Studio 60? Bob Newhart. Jericho? Bob Newhart. =)

June 06 2007 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tenshi888

Its Paulie. Oh my gosh- its Paulie.
a. NY did not put a hit on him but they did the rest
b. He botched the hit on Phil. He must have warned Phil.
c. He said he would never forgive the NJ crew for not coming to his mother's funeral
d. He KNOWS Tony was about to kill him but spared him, thus he gave the $4000 espresso maker. But he won't take any chances on a next time.

Paulie, why'd you do it! Noooo!

June 06 2007 at 12:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sue

The actors, the script writers, the entire production cast..as well as the Stars..will simply not be forgotten by this generation of viewers. Bravos to every single soul connected to The Sopranos. Superb entertainment and we thank you for it.

June 06 2007 at 12:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply