October 22, 2014

Gene Simmons: Family Jewels gets a third season

by Adam Finley, posted Jun 4th 2007 3:02PM

gene simmonsI recently got over my infatuation with both Criss Angel: Mindfreak and Dog the Bounty Hunter, so maybe I should check out Gene Simmons: Family Jewels, which just recently got the greenlight for a 24-episode third season on A&E. The popular reality series is apparently only second to Dog the Bounty Hunter right now in regards to ratings.

The Simmons family have been described as a more functional version of The Osbournes, which sounds intriguing, but I've never been much of a KISS fan, nor have I ever had much interest in the perpetual self-promotion machine that is Gene Simmons. Also, while almost all "reality" programming is scripted to some degree, this one is "scripted" to the point where it's barely a reality series at all, or so I've heard, and so Variety writes, too.

Nathan

The show is great. Gene does some crazy thing. I'm sure some if its scripted, but really I don't care. Its rather good.

June 05 2007 at 11:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angi

I am not one to like this type of show but the Simmons family, slightly scripted or not, is very entertaining. I TiVo this show every week. They are a famous family yet they all just seem so "normal". We typically laugh through the entire 30 minute episode. I think if you haven't watched it, you should really give it a shot.

June 05 2007 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

I like this show, its funny and is played out like a scripted show. The line is thin so its hard to tell. But then again if it was reality we would be seeing Simmons paying bills and washing the car, who wants to see that?

And this is from someone who hates reality TV..... to an extent, Dirty Jobs is good TV too.

June 04 2007 at 8:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doug

Actually, since I know one of the "lesbians" (aka actress) in the BBQ Restaurant skit from earlier this year, parts of it are *VERY* scripted. Although I'd guess that Gene isn't in on the hoax..

Never-the-less, I enjoy the show very much and would only compare them to The Osbourne's at the most basic level.. Dad is a rockstar. Otherwise, it's a different show.

June 04 2007 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

You've both misread it. Variety didn't liken it to a scripted show at all. It was the A&E VP & co-exec producer.

June 04 2007 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kirker187

You misread what it said on Variety. They likened this series to a scripted series because "They're in constant motion, and Gene is always working on dozens of projects. It's more like a scripted series than a reality show." It is a very good show and, in my opinion, more entertaining than The Osbournes was.

June 04 2007 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply