October 20, 2014

What I'm watching this summer - Bob's list

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 4th 2007 4:02PM

Mad Men logo

Summer is my least favorite season, by far. And not just because most TV shows are in reruns 'til the fall, though that's part of it. But nowadays the networks and cable are giving us more new stuff during June, July, and August, and it's also a good time to get caught up on shows you missed and those DVDs on your coffee table. Here's what I'm looking forward to this summer.

1. Mad Men (AMC): This is an original drama series for AMC, and it centers on the men (and women) who work for a big Madison Avenue ad agency in 1960. Advertising! 1960! Cool clothes! Cool music! Smoking! Drinking! I can't wait for this show to start. Premieres in July.

2. Entourage (HBO): I have no idea why they had the season finale last night and the new season starts in only two weeks, but I'm glad.

3. Life On Mars (BBC America): I have all of the episodes recorded, but I haven't gotten a chance to watch them yet. I'm talking about the first season.

4. Studio 60 (NBC): Oh, shut up. Let me have my remaining episodes until July.

5. Adult Swim (Cartoon Network): I can finally catch up on all the shows I haven't been watching much the past several months: Morel Orel, Robot Chicken, etc.

6. Mindfreak (A&E): I haven't checked out this show yet, but I was reading his new book the other day, and now I want to see his show.

7. Burn Notice (USA): A spy show, and Bruce Campbell co-stars? I am so there. Starts June 28.

8. Kate & Allie: I watched the marathon on WE this past weekend, and the show joins the regular lineup every night at 7. Gotta order the season 3 and season 4 DVDs too.

9. Hell's Kitchen (FOX): I'm not a reality person really, but I love cooking and I like hearing Gordon Ramsay yell at people, and the previews look great. Starts tonight at 9.

10. John From Cincinnati (HBO): Surfing, mystery, family drama, and magical levitation? I'll give it a shot.

What are you looking forward to this summer?

kip

Five towns. John Chase back in his finest performance yet.

June 05 2007 at 4:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

Studio 60, Rescue Me, The Closer, Entourage, Eureka, Big Love, Monk, Psych, Big Brother, Hell's Kitchen...... I'm tired of the Dead Zone and The 4400 so I might not watch them this year. Saving Grace looks interesting and I love Holly Hunter so I'm going to give that a try.

I don't get AMC so I can't check out Mad Men. Damn. Sounds great and I'm really disappointed. I hadn't really heard about Burn Notice but I will check that out now too.

I finally watched Hex after taping all of the prior episodes and holding them on my Tivo for months. I kept reading if you loved Buffy you should see Hex. Well it's not Buffy or even close but it's not bad for the summer. I did the same with Eureka. Everyone here kept talking about it so I Tivo'd it and watched it months later. I loved it. I'm really looking forward to that coming back.

June 05 2007 at 12:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

I had no idea Bruce Campbell was on Burn Notice. I was already kinda interested, now I'm completely sold on it. But yeah, Rescue Me, Eureka, the 4400, Weeds, the Closer, The Loop (which I thought was pretty damn funny last year), Entourage... and I'm excited about new series Flight of the Conchords, Damages, Californication, and John from Cincinnati.

June 05 2007 at 12:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

I about wet my pants when I saw the teaser for "Burn Notice" this past weekend. I didn't know that Bruce Campbell was going to be in anything on TV anytime soon and it just kind of snuck up on me without warning. Between that and "The Closer" starting up this month I can tell that this summer will be filled with delicious nuggets of tasty goodness! Kyra and Bruce in the same month - how divine!!

June 04 2007 at 11:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

JOHN FROM CINCINNATI
FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS
THE 4400
TORCHWOOD

June 04 2007 at 10:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vacelts

I'm with you on Studio 60. I can't believe they canceled it.

Here's what I'll be watching this summer.

And here's some shows I recommend catching in repeats for those that missed them the first time around.

June 04 2007 at 9:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JLM

"My Boys" and the brilliant "10 Items or Less". More sitcoms, less reality.

June 04 2007 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
derek

Burn Notice looks great! Thanks for the deets on this new show. After watching the preview it seems cool and it has the guy from Oz and Dexter in it. It reminds me a TINY bit of Eyes too which I thought was a great show and should've never been canceled.

June 04 2007 at 8:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

I'll watch It's Sunny in Philly and Rescue Me for sure. Maybe Weeds and that show with Bruce Cambell. I'll be out of the country for a while so it will be hard to get into anything. Oh well summer isn't meant for watching TV anyway.

June 04 2007 at 8:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply