September 18, 2014

Why you should check out Army Wives

by Adam Finley, posted Jun 4th 2007 6:21PM

army wivesAccording to the paperwork I got back yesterday, I'm a man. Because of this, I'm pretty much conditioned not to care about anything that appears on Lifetime.

Still, I figured it wouldn't kill me to at least watch the first episode of Army Wives, a new original dramatic series that focuses on the lives of several women living on an Army base, rather than judging it without seeing it.

You know what? It's not that bad. Admittedly, the show is geared toward women and is at times a bit too "touchy feely" for my tastes, but I can tell a good series when I see one, and this one has potential, as long as people give it a chance and don't completely ignore it just because it happens to be on Lifetime.

Of course, being executive produced by Mark Gordon (Grey's Anatomy) should help recruit many viewers to this new show, not to mention a great case consisting of Kin Delaney, Catherine Bell, Sally Pressman, Drew Fuller and others.

The first episode, like most series premieres, is essentially an introduction to all the characters. We meet Claudia, who's married to one of the highest ranking officers at Fort Marshall; Denise, who is married to a strict career soldier, and Roxy, who is trying to adjust to the rules and regulations of Army life after marrying her army husband.

If you missed the premiere, you can watch it online here.

diannekane

I almost didn't watch, but I'm so glad I did! Really enjoyed this show, and Roxie is a keeper. Looking forward to next week.

June 05 2007 at 9:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

Catherine Bell and Kim Delaney on the same show? Which channel is it on again?

June 05 2007 at 8:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
julie

I really liked the concept. And Roxy well rocks, I hope to see Catherine Bells character grow a back bone though. I think this show has a lot of potential

June 05 2007 at 8:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrumpyOldMan

I'll walk through fire to watch Kim Delaney....even watch Lifetime. It scores points with the wife too.

June 05 2007 at 8:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lee

If this were on air during the regular television season, I'd never watch given the other better shows on from Fall through Spring, but for a summer fare, it isn't bad.
Summer TV has gotten so much better over the years and this year I'm once again looking forward to the delightful, surprisingly fun "Eureka" on SciFi - if you haven't checked it out because you aren't into sci fi shows/movies (I'm not either) - you might want to take a peek - great fun characters that are likeable and some good goofy storylines.
But, for pure soap - Army Wives seems fine - though not yet DVR material for me - maybe it will grow on me.

June 05 2007 at 7:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

It really wasn't too bad. The Roxie Character really made the show.

June 05 2007 at 2:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristen

Kudos to you, Adam, for being able to review what might typically be called a "chick" series and giving it an honest shake. That's your job: being able to look beyond the "label" to the actual show and review it on IT'S merits rather than the network it's attached to, or deeming it lacking in testosterone and dismissing it. I'm very impressed! Thank you! I hadn't planned on tuning in - not being much of a Grey's fan nor a Unit fan - but maybe I'll have to reconsider next week.

June 05 2007 at 1:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nisha

I actually thoroughly enjoyed this show... I really like the Roxie and her whole story line... I was surprised by the women's attitudes, especially how they treat Claudia Joy and other high ranking officers wives... I was shocked to see the woman being abused by her teen son... a total shocker to me ( I literally had my mouth hanging open)... I can't wait to see next week's episode!!! i love having a great new show to watch!!

June 04 2007 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vacelts

I'm not a Lifetime-type girl, but I tuned it for the cast and loved it.

June 04 2007 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
djbracknell

I was surprised too. I even told my husband it was too much of a chick flick even for me. But, it features his favorite, Catherine Bell, so I thought I'd take a look.

I liked it. And, I especially like the Roxy LeBlanc character. Her lack of sophistication coupled with street sense are going to a perfect foil for Bell and Delany's characters.

I like the twist on the baby. It showed a little chutzpa on a show that could have been a real cliche.

June 04 2007 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply