November 27, 2014

The Riches: Waiting for Dogot (season finale)

by Brett Love, posted Jun 5th 2007 7:08AM
Eddie Izzard, Minnie Driver
(S01E13) Well, there you have it. The big finale for the first season of The Riches. The thing that strikes me about the season is how much it was not what I was expecting. What we ended up seeing was very different than what the promotion FX tossed out all those months ago led one to expect. And I think that was a good thing.

This was a much darker show than those voiced over commercials with Wayne and Dahlia walking down the staircase hinted at. The Malloy family has some serious issues. But at the end of the day, they are a family, and that drives everything they do.

Another surprise came in the form of just who was, or more accurately, who wasn't, the big threat to the family in the finale. From early on, all signs pointed to Dale. When we saw him strutting around the camp and making it clear that he had no love for Wayne, I thought surely that is the showdown we were waiting for. They managed to keep me following that train right up until Wayne's squirt gun malfunction. I thought he was actually going to get away with conning Pete and we would end up dealing with Dale.

Eddie IzzardThe whole Pete debacle was interesting for a couple of things. It once again made it clear just where everyone sits with the new life. Cael and Dahlia are ready to cut and run while Wayne, Di Di, and conscientious objector Sam want to exhaust every last hope to keep their new life. Pete also provided another opportunity to watch Wayne do his thing. Sure, the story about Doug hiring him as a mechanic ("...a trained killer. It's my job.") because he was on the run from dirty cops was a little far out there. I was willing to roll with that one though, because Pete clearly has a screw loose.

I was glad that Nina figured the whole thing out and was let in on the story. She's a good character and the relationship she shares with Dahlia has been fun to watch develop. The scenes with Nina and Di Di were especially good as we saw her fall back to her training. Even in the face of overwhelming evidence, lie, lie, lie.

We'll have to wait for season two to be sure, but it would appear that the Malloys are going to get to keep their life as the Riches, thanks to Dale. It mirrors the situation with Doug that got them into this whole thing. They will once again be benefiting from someone else's bad deed. The ending did feel rather abrupt though. It left me checking the clock to be sure that it was actually over. A nice final end to the story would have been good, but I thought there was just enough information there to give a good idea what was going to happen, but leave some mystery for the season two premiere. And really, as fun as it might be to see them traveling in the RV again, the show is called The Riches, so it's a pretty safe bet.

5 out of 7Overall, it was a very enjoyable season. I thought Minnie Driver would be good in this, and she was. So good in fact that I expect to see her getting an Emmy nomination. Although, the statue really should go to Connie Britton. While her performance was par for the course, Eddie Izzard shocked me with how good he was as Wayne. Previous to this the entirety of my Eddie Izzard knowledge amounted to Ocean's 12 and his stand-up work as seen on BBC America. He's always a lot of fun, but I had no idea he would be able to do this. I'm giving this episode a 5, out of 7.

marilyn

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE SHOW, I ONLY WISH YOU WERE HAVING REPEAT EPISODES, PLEASE HAVE REPEATS..
MOST OF MY FAMILY MISSED THE SHOWS.NOW THEY WILL BE ABLE TO WATCH THEM AND ENJOY THEM AS I DID... SO PLEASE BRING THE RICHES BACK.......

# 1 VIEWER

MARILYN

June 25 2007 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Derin Emre

The only problem for the ending is that it left too many loose ends; Hugh's wife leaving him, Aubrey etc. I just hope that they tie it up next season.

I am guessing that the allusion for "Godot" is that we were waiting for a huge showdown, something that would be resolved, but nothing happened...

Felt sorry for Pete, though. Nearly every character in this episode just messed with him.

In the end, good episode, but it was more like a normal episode, not a "season finale", still it was solid.

June 15 2007 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
buffaloedan1

i love love love this show. eddie izzard should get a nomination as well as one for the show. i figure dale will end up killing everret the one armed bandits husband so they can get his money next year. when does next season start?

June 05 2007 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tess Capra

After a long and reliable career in small roles, it's great to see Margo Martindale finally get a showcase supporting role. I'm betting Nina becomes an apprentice con next season ... and takes to it like a natural.

June 05 2007 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy

I hate to admit it, but if FX had portrayed the show as dark as it truly is in their initial commercials, I wouldn't have watched it. Although I am very glad that they've lightened up the show while maintaining the compelling drama at the same time - just brilliant.

I only have two criticisms of the finale: 1. It wasn't long enough. I couldn't believe the credits were rolling after the last commercial break. And the scene where Sam painted over his incredible walls should have been a LOT longer. That was incredibly poignant and deserved more than the 2 mins. it got. 2. It was a little bit of a stretch to believe that Nutcase Pete kept falling for their cons, but it turned into such a roller coaster that it didn't really matter! The finale had a Squirm Factor of 7!

I TOTALLY loved how Nina was so giddy to have con artist neighbors! After seeing how the Malloys & now Dale are transitioning into bufferhood, it was a nice change of pace to see a buffer want to be a traveler. It was totally believable, too, as Nina is so bored & disenchanted with her existence, and it shows that the grass is always greener.

It was interesting that Dale was kicked out of the family. Even though we can all guess why, I can't believe Dahlia didn't ask him. Dale is clearly interested in not having the Malloy's cover blown (thus killing Pete) because of the good thing he's got in Eden Falls, but I can't believe that the threat from the family is entirely gone - Ginny still knows where they live. Dale is still obviously a sociopath, too, and that's bound to cause problems for them.

Speaking of sociopaths, GiGi's kid was soooo creepy!!! I can't believe the only reason the kid was there was so Wayne would have Kool-Aid stained pants through the entire episode, so I think Hugh & GiGi can't be done. There are too many good storylines there!

And I just loved how the Malloys were taking Grandma with them in the RV! I'm already experiencing withdrawls! When does the new season start???

June 05 2007 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy

I loved last nights finale. It was the best season finale of a show that I've seen in a good while. Even though the ending should have been more final, I'm perfectly content with the way things came together.
Minnie Driver better be nominated for an Emmy/The Riches show in general. Last night was amazing. I LOVE this show!!!

June 05 2007 at 7:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply