October 25, 2014

The Shield: Spanish Practices (season finale)

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jun 5th 2007 11:04PM

Aceveda and Vic make a shocking discovery.

(S06E10) "...but understand, you are nothing more than a fly on one of my many shits." - Pezuela

The beginning of the end. We've got one more season of The Shield to go and I have to say that I'm pretty excited for what's been set up. It's going to be a lot to cover with only thirteen episodes remaining in life of the series. Then again, this season only had ten installments and look how many different stories came out of it. From the aftermath of Lem's death to the biggest conspiracy the Farmington district has ever seen, we got it all in season six.

The episode definitely had two distinct plots. The division between Vic and Shane is clearer than ever, despite the fact that Shane's actions continue to blur that line. After last week, I said that Shane was starting to act colder and far more calculated now that he was forced to fend for himself. I take it all back after what he did in this episode. He's just as emotional as ever and the way he kept flip-flopping between Rezian and Diro was almost comical. He's clearly not as skilled as Vic when it comes to playing both sides.

That being said, it's been hard to watch his character deteriorate this season. The memory of Lem was never forgotten as we were reminded of it every time we saw Shane, but he clearly isn't the heartless bastard many would like to think. Shane truly believed he was doing the right thing when he killed Lem. It's for that reason that he can't deal with the thought of more blood on his hands. Putting Corinne and Cassidy in that storage container seemed liked a bit much, but again - Shane felt as though he was doing the right thing. When that Armenian "repair man" showed up at the Mackey house, it became clear that he was. He saved their lives and the unfortunate thing is that I don't think Vic will ever actually see it that way.

It'll be interesting to see Shane's relationship with Rezian from here on out though. I've said it before, but I'm still confused about the Armenian knowledge of the Strike Team's involvement with the money train from season three. I guess their intel wasn't as solid as we thought. They know now though.

Elsewhere, Vic has once again teamed up for an uneasy alliance with the one guy who never saw eye to eye with him: Aceveda. It only seems appropriate that the two of them should work together for the final season. The conspiracy they dug up is incredibly well-laid out and interesting though. It's going to make for a great plot I think. Feels very much like something out of The Wire.

See if you can follow this. Cruz Pezuela, a developer, along with an ex-military intel expert have dug up dirt on everyone. Local and federal. They have ties to the Mexican mob and because of all the dirt, no one is even bothering them. Except Vic. They're buying up land and starting legit businesses to clean all their dirty money. Not to mention all the new state-side income they'll generate through the low-income housing and hospitals like prostitution and illegal prescription drugs. If it goes untouched, the Mexican mob would be running half the city in no time. Without thinking too much about it, this feels like it could get bloody and fast. It already did if you count San Marcos. The Salvadorans got angry because they were being left out of this huge profit machine.

Despite all the great stuff that has been set up for the seventh season, I was disappointed by some aspects of this season. A lot of things got short-changed if you ask me. For starters, Lem's murder. It almost felt like it got dropped completely. Which directly leads to Dutch. He got short-changed too. Why weren't some questions left open, so he could keep doing what he does best and dig up more stuff on the Lemansky case? I think things would have been infinitely more tense if Vic and Shane had Dutch breathing down their backs after Kavanaugh's departure.

Rating 7Fortunately we're left with some good questions to ponder in the meantime. What's going to happen to Billings? Is he really going to win a suit like that? Will Vic actually get to keep his job since he essentially walked away from his own hearing? I'm not so sure Aceveda has the pull. Claudette might though, especially since she gave Hiatt the boot. Someone has to run the Strike Team. And if that happens, how do Vic and Shane ever work together? Speaking of Vic, how's he going to react to Dutch cozying up with Danny? Lots of questions, plenty of time to wonder. 7 out of 7.

(The Shield - S06E10) How do you rate this episode?
1 - Worst11 (1.6%)
23 (0.4%)
314 (2.1%)
418 (2.7%)
570 (10.4%)
6177 (26.3%)
7 - Best380 (56.5%)

Armand Micheline

ronnie kill shane 4 'team'
vic 2 jail, killls antwon
aceveda suck more dick
danny & tina go lesbo

August 12 2007 at 6:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chiklisfan

I agree that this season finale was a bit disappointing in terms of its ultimate conclusion, but thematically, this show has an amazing way of closing out seasons.
In season 1, Vic had a total loss, with Corrine taking the kids. In season two, he had a total win, with the Money Train heist. Then, in season three, it was a loss--the Strike Team breaks up, while there was a win--Margos was killed. In season 4, there was the win of the reuniting of the Strike Team, with the loss of Monica as an advocate in the department. With season 5, there was the huge loss of Lem, but in fairness, all possibility of Vic getting arrested seemed to die with him. Now, in the season 6 finale, you've got the win of the cracking of the Pezuela/San Marcos case saving Vic's job, with the permanent loss of his best friend Shane (cause we all know Vic will never forgive Shane for locking up Cassidy). As each season has progressed, the line between all-out win and all-out loss has been completely blurred in the season finales. I am so impressed with the writers for doing this. What is also amazing, is that at the same time, Vic has gone from shady cop, about 50-50 bad, to close to 90-10 good, while his life's story, if you will, during each season has become less distinctively victorious or defeated. All I can say is, season 7 is geared up to be the murkiest morally of them all--I feel like nothing short of a bloodbath, with Mackey in tears at the end, will satiate my desire to see these characters put into impossible situations over and over again. If Walton Goggins doesn't get a nomination for Supporting Actor in a Drama Series this year, there is no justice in the world.

July 16 2007 at 11:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ronnie P

Just a thought here....
Did Corrine possibly go to bat for Vic after he stormed out of his review board meeting? She is a woman of action and could have brought the kids in and try a nd plead her case for Vic. I know he has the blackmail in his pocket but what do ya think?

July 08 2007 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christine

Of course Vic keeps his job. He left the hearing because he wanted to protect his job like a man, not hide behind his family and troubled kids. He took all of the Mexican mob's files on officials in L.A. This means that not only does Vic have his job back, he's untouchable.

July 02 2007 at 11:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

Blah. This season was my least favorite. I remember that in each of the previous seasons my heart would be pounding during the last 5-10 mins of the show. This year, it happened twice: when Guardo (sp?) was beaten and shot and when Shane confessed to Vic. Other than that, it was pretty tepid.

There was also another thing that I noticed this season: maybe it's just me but it seemed like there was a lot more false forshadowing during the next week's previews i.e. Shane's first confession and Vic & Hyatt's first meeting. Shane's confession was to his wife, not to anyone crucial to the plot and Vic & Hyatt didn't scrap like they led you to believe by pasting part of the Vic-goes-nuts-in-the-hospital scene right after the "How long before Vic and the new guy get into it" dialogue. Usually the scenes carry themselves but it's almost like they know it's crap (relatively speaking) and need to create something exciting to get you to tune in next week. Did the writers get lazy? I think so. Not only in the number of episodes but just the quality of material. It's been better.

And the cliffhanger for next season? Pfffffffrrrrrrrrrrt. This season ended like a popcorn fart instead of the bang that it usually does. I'll be watching next year but the Mackey-Aceveda team up doesn't really excite me.

June 18 2007 at 4:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mayorjimmy

I think we're setting the stage for a huge...HUGE showdown in the city. I think Vic will find himself in bed with more foes than just Aceveda. Think bigger. The Mexicans are poised to own half the damn city, you think they'll stand for everyone else to be hanging their city? I think Vic is going to have to unite the gangs and take down the Mexicans hard. This show seems based on the idea that "we're all selfish but we'll work with even our worst enemy for the right reason". I think Vic is about to become the new head of the barn. Aceveda sees the new threat and he's smart enough to know he needs an attack dog that will go for the throat to combat this not someone playing it safe and nice. I think Vic will impose his will on everyone and when the dust settles people will find themselves doing things they never thought they could/would. When it's all done everyone will find their "inner Vic"

June 13 2007 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaypo

Does anyone know where I can watch the finale? I recorded it, but it must have been a longer episode than usual. The last part did not record for me.

Thanks!

June 09 2007 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StLTVFan

Right after the show ended, I was slightly disappointed with the episode, but then started to change my mind after thinking about it. I am very glad they left everything wide open as it will make for one heck of a final season. Vic is going to have his hands more full than he ever has. Facing off with the Mexican Mafia alone would probably be his biggest challenge to date. But now he's also going to have to deal with Shane and quite possibly will have the Armenian mob coming after him as well. Then there is the issue of whether or not he'll keep his job although it seems pretty obvious that he will with Aceveda blackmailing some of the higher ups.

Then you have Billings' lawsuit (I hope Dutch buries the weasel).

It should make for a very good last season as long as they cover all the story lines pretty much from the beginning and don't try to rush any of them in the last few episodes. I have never seen that yet from this show so I wouldn't expect that to happen.

June 08 2007 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JCap

I too was expecting the "bigger" ending, but immediately recognized that this was the appropriate way to lead us the final season. As Vic drove off, leaving this poor beaten up guy in the middle of the street, I thought, "Wait! You can't end here!" Which,of course, they did. So I'm ready to see how this all gets resolved. Vic's past is catching up with him in ways he never imagined it would, involving the one thing he has always been resolutely moral about: his family. If the show ever had an overriding theme, it was that no one can escape from what he or she has done. Vic can't, Shane can't, Aceveda can't. The final season, I bet much like what the Sopranos is doing as it ends, is going to drive this point home. I can't wait.

June 08 2007 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jazlich

I thought the season finale was wonderful. Truth is they found a way to let every single one of these characters remain true to 6 seasons worth of character and still get out of the boxes season six pushed them into and introduced the shows biggest storyline yet.

Dutch: He isn't a sociopath imho. He strangled the cat to understand a sociopath. Its not like he has been doing it ever since. .... at least that we know of:)

Tina: Other than some eye candy she just really doesn't have a role. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't return at all.

Vic: Vic is soooo painfully black or white. If he can't right the ship with Shane it will be the death of both of them. That much I am sure of. Leaving his family at his hearing to go chase the Mexican Drug Cartel was so insanely Vic.

Danny: She is the most like Claudette and will be a great team with Dutch as detectives if not as a couple.

June 07 2007 at 11:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply