October 24, 2014

Jericho likely to return for eight episodes - UPDATE

by Anna Johns, posted Jun 6th 2007 12:27PM
jerichoWhat a difference 24 hours make. Yesterday, it looked like fans of Jericho might have been successful in their campaign to resurrect the canceled show. Today, it looks like they really are successful. Both Variety and the LA Times are reporting that CBS is in hurried negotiations with producers, writers and actors to resuscitate the show for an eight episode run, to return mid-season.

"The idea would not be to bring it back for eight and out, but to bring it back for eight with the hope that it would keep going," executive producer Carol Barbee told the LA Times. Barbee also said that when the fans initially responded to the cancellation, CBS suggested a two-hour movie to wrap up the series. But Barbee said 'no', because that wouldn't do justice to the series.

Barbee also makes an excellent point about the way networks are going to have to start looking at ratings. She says, they're going to need to consider online fan communities and online viewings and, "I think they have to understand that the Nielsens are not telling the story anymore." The networks need to find the coveted 18-49 demographic by going online. I thought they had figured that out by putting so many shows online, but apparently CBS wasn't taking that online community seriously.

**UPDATE: CBS officially announces Jericho is back... for seven episodes. The full letter is in comments (Thanks, Mark!)

mj green

every week, for months, I emailed CBS begging them to keep Jericho. Today I emailed them to thank them. Even half a season is good. HBO and Deadwood, take the hint!!! I am going to do everything I can to get people to watch. I'm passing the news to everyone I know. Go, CBS,

June 08 2007 at 9:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

Could tvsquad institute the same policy that engadget has done - and completely ban the idiotic "here's my blog, come visit" posts with some fluff commentary to somehow "justify" it all. These comments seem to populate every post on tvsquad and it's getting absolutely ridiculous. Even if you just put a ban in for the most frequent offenders, it'd be really appreciated.

June 07 2007 at 6:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

:D

It's midnight now, and I must say this is a great way to start my day! Never seen the show, but I'm just really happy that fans have been able to accomplish this. Great news everybody! I never want any shows to be canceled, but if something happens like this again in the future, I hope this kind of success can be replicated.

June 07 2007 at 1:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Wow. It's stunning to think that CBS actually listened to the loyal "Jericho" viewers and admitted its mistake. CBS, which has so many "CSI" shows and "Survivor" that it really doesn't need to bother.

I only hope that the new 7 episodes continue the string of very good episodes that closed out "Jericho's" now first season, and we don't return to the middling shows that it began with. Personally, I would've been happy with a 2-hour movie, especially with Gerald McRaney out of the picture.

June 06 2007 at 11:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Actually, I think that having it return as a midseason replacement is probably a pretty good thing. Let's look at the reasons why for a second:

1. All the new show failures will have already occurred and the networks will already have finished moving the schedule around. This means that CBS can find the optimum spot for Jericho and we can actually count on it staying put in one place.

2. Several other returning shows are also coming on board later than this fall - LOST, 24, Medium and Criminal Minds to name a few. This means the series premieres won't have to fight against everything else starting up at the same time. When the show starts up, CBS can really make a big deal about it and it won't get lost in the shuffle.

3. No hiatus and no repeats. As we all know from last season, this was (almost) the kiss of death for them this year. With eight shows already approved, that gives Jericho a good running start to keep going. Again, the shows after the hiatus were definitely some of the best of the bunch.

4. Grass roots. Yeah, this is definitely a factor. After all the work that's been done already, none of us are going to assume that it couldn't happen again. It sounds like CBS is going to help out with an early release of the DVD and then really push the season with reruns over the summer. I know I'll be pushing all my friends that missed it the first time to catch up and be on board for Season 2. Again, it worked for both Heroes this year and then BSG each season its made its way back for a new season. Both shows have a strong base and I'm sure Jericho can expect the same.

Congrats to all! Welcome back!!!

June 06 2007 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M

See my take on Jericho and other save the show campaigns at http://mytvmusings.com/2007/06/06/save-the-show-campaigns/

June 06 2007 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WhizGidget

Whoohooo! The fans rallied and you have results - the same thing happened with 'Farscape' so that we could have an ending (even if it was a "movie event") to that series.

Now if only we could do the same with 'Studio 60'....

June 06 2007 at 7:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

I don't care if it's back for 8 episodes, a 2 hour movie, or 3 whole seasons.

All I want is the loose ends to actually be tied up in a similar fashion to how they were loosened in the first place (iow, no book, no graphic novel, no radio play. Give me the same production values [such as they were]). Finish the story. That's all I want.

June 06 2007 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marc Wenning

It's official the show is coming back!!!!!

Below is a message from CBS Entertainment.

June 6, 2007

To the Fans of Jericho:

Wow!

Over the past few weeks you have put forth an impressive and probably unprecedented display of passion in support of a prime time television series. You got our attention; your emails and collective voice have been heard.

As a result, CBS has ordered seven episodes of “Jericho” for mid-season next year. In success, there is the potential for more. But, for there to be more “Jericho,” we will need more viewers.

A loyal and passionate community has clearly formed around the show. But that community needs to grow. It needs to grow on the CBS Television Network, as well as on the many digital platforms where we make the show available.

We will count on you to rally around the show, to recruit new viewers with the same grass-roots energy, intensity and volume you have displayed in recent weeks.

At this time, I cannot tell you the specific date or time period that “Jericho” will return to our schedule. However, in the interim, we are working on several initiatives to help introduce the show to new audiences. This includes re-broadcasting “Jericho” on CBS this summer, streaming episodes and clips from these episodes across the CBS Audience Network (online), releasing the first season DVD on September 25 and continuing the story of Jericho in the digital world until the new episodes return. We will let you know specifics when we have them so you can pass them on.

On behalf of everyone at CBS, thank you for expressing your support of “Jericho” in such an extraordinary manner. Your protest was creative, sustained and very thoughtful and respectful in tone. You made a difference.

Sincerely,

Nina Tassler

President, CBS Entertainment

P.S. Please stop sending us nuts :)

June 06 2007 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frederick

This is both good and bad news. Obviously, the return of Jericho is a good thing, but am I the only one who thinks not having it return until mid-season will do to the ratings what the 3-month hiatus did, and possibly worse?

June 06 2007 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply