December 19, 2014

ThunderCats, the movie

by Adam Finley, posted Jun 6th 2007 5:38PM

thundercatsOh yeah, it's happening.

Following the soon-to-be -released Transformers and the recently-announced He-Man comes yet another afternoon 'toon from my childhood making its way to the silver screen.

This time, it's ThunderCats, an animated series that aired in the 1980s and focused on a group of warriors that looked like a meld of both human and feline. Warner Bros. has optioned a script from Paul Sopocy for the live-action CGI feature-length adaptation.

The original series, created by Ted "Tobin" Wolf, featured characters Lion-O, Jaga, Panthro, Cheetra and others as citizens of a planet named Thundera who come to Third Earth after their planet is destroyed. Not unlike He-Man, the cartoon mixed all kinds of mythological, fantasy and futuristic elements. Also, it really made you want to buy the action figures, which was probably the point.

Sopocy's script will serve as an "origin story" for the ThunderCats, dealing with a young Lion-O as he begins his journey toward leading the rest of the ThunderCats.

Not to upset any ThunderCats fanatics out there, but I could never really get into this series. I watched it all the time, probably because it was sandwiched between cartoons I liked a lot more, but I always felt the pacing was too slow and the animation a little too stilted.

I also have to wonder exactly who they're trying to reach with this movie. ThunderCats holds a certain nostalgia for many of us, but do kids today really care about it? And are there that many people my age who want to see a film version of this cartoon? Regardless of its popularity, I just can't imagine people flocking to see a movie about humanoid cat warriors.

Now, Transformers, that seems to make a lot more sense. Even if that cartoon was a total bomb, the idea of transforming machines is perfect summer movie fare.

What do you guys think?

edgeworlds

Hm, there are a lot of elements in this story that has the potential to go horribly wrong. That said, I LOVED the cartoon, and believe it should stay that way. Live action would be too kitschy. Thundercats would need to undergo some serious updating if producers want to entice the young crowd. Using a prequel story arc would be a good approach. Bringing back the original voice actors would definitely be a clincher, except for Panthro; I'd imagine he would be the most difficult character to find a VA replacement, since his voice is the most iconic. Anyway, I have some mighty reservations about it, but if they did a good job, I'd watch :)

August 26 2007 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
roger burkhart II

out of all the cartoons i watched as a kid the only cartoons i really remembered were thundercats,he-man,and mighty max i just watched a trailer for the thunderxcats movie that was suppose to be released in '98 with mathew mcanahey and wesley snipes it looked horrible but with the the computers and technology we have today i think it could be pulled off not as a live action movie but if they can do the graphics as they did in final fantasy:advent children and final fantasy :the spirits within i would definately want to see the thundercats movie i think that a thundercats movie in the style of final fantasy:advent children would be a huge success unlike advent children which should have had more publicity and wonder if anyone has thought of a mighty max movie for kids?

August 07 2007 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
christine

What happened to the Thundercats movie that was due to be released in 2000?

July 21 2007 at 9:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Spartan66

Ok... How bout a Samuri Pizza Cat movie? Id love to see cats flying pizzas around in a super jet while fighting bad guys with Samuri Swords just as much as I want to see a "humanoid cat" run around in a blue One piece bathing suit orgasming "Thunder, Thunder, Thunder Cats HO!" While his sword elongates... How about a GI Joe movie with all the new gear and military tech... I wouldnt mind seeing Snake Eyes take some Taliban down a few notches.

July 17 2007 at 4:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lenny

Let me rephrase this

Vin Diesil as Lion-0
cheetara doesnt matter someone that knows some type of martial art.
Like Uma Thurman did in her movie
Mel Gibson as tigra or somebody close to him.
wesley is perfect for the role of pantrho
though i thought jalee white was better for this role

The thing about thundercats was
it never had any killing so i want to see how their going to do this.
Transformers was kind of twisted to see robots killing humas beacuse it never happens in cartoons.

July 14 2007 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lenny

you are crazy.
Thunder Cats if made right will rock
they must make it
hope it doesnt flop
like the first fantastic 4
even though i think lion -o should be vin diessel

July 14 2007 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
me,myself and i

What do i think? well let me see what can i say about your review... you diss thundercats and called transformer cartoons a total bomb... oh i know what to say.. your a complete MORON!!!!!

July 14 2007 at 7:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gabriel

I am excited about this. Its entertainment people, not politics or brain surgery. A thundercats movie would be cool CGI or not. I would have prefered this movie to be live action (Plus, it probably would make a lot more money as a live action). But, CGI is fine I guess. I'm sure this will be fun. Great way to bring generations together. Just watch the movie when it comes out and try to enjoy it. Stop acting like spoiled little movie goers that expect everything to be their way. thundercats were cool to me when I was younger, and now this movie might be cool. I Look forward to it.

July 12 2007 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rico

The movie is sink and die. I'm a young guy and I've heard about the 'ThunderCats' only a few times. Honestly, the people who spend the most money on multi-media entertainment, like movies, are teens. The only way to make money is to reach that audience. Transformers gained so much because of it's killer graphics and because of all the boob-shots of Megan Fox. Do you really think cats prancing and furry chest-shots of Cheetara will make it big on the big screen?

July 10 2007 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tenchiguy

ThunderCats:movie? I'll be in line if the trailers look worth it.
M.A.S.K? Would be a good idea for a flick. NO more He-Man movies!!! 2 of them are enough!! Let's give it 20yrs before a remake be made! Robotech! Now that would be a great movie!

July 01 2007 at 11:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply