October 31, 2014

Gawker lays the smackdown on Zach Braff

by Joel Keller, posted Jun 7th 2007 3:19PM
Zach Braff gets a grammyI usually don't like to respond directly to posts by our friends at Gawker because, to be honest, they tend to remind me of those friends from college that started hating Nirvana as soon as they became popular. Snide for snide's sake tends to get tiring after a while. But I had to write something with regards to their takedown of Zach Braff, riffing off a sighting of the Scrubs star by one of their "Gawker Stalkers" in a New York bar.

Listen, I can understand how Mr. Braff might not be everyone's cup of tea; even though I liked the movie, many people thought Garden State was a bit too precious for their tastes (I mean, I like The Shins and all, but their song from that movie did not change my life, as Natalie Portman's character said it would). And I've personally seen that his comic persona on screen doesn't necessarily translate to real life; to say that the man is introverted would be an understatement. But this takedown is a bit much, even for Gawker.

In the post, written under the pseudonym "The Stalkerettes," the folks at Gawker write that if a celebrity isn't talented, he or she should at least be attractive, and that Braff is neither. "If all that's required to be famous these days is a bulbous nose, weak chin and average acting chops, why don't we just go ahead and make everybody a celebrity?" they ask. They also lump him in with Julia Stiles and Yahoo Serious (!) as equally untalented people who have not earned their celebrity status.

Jeez, Gawker... see a guy hang out with a hot blond and you just go into a jealous rage, don't you? Lay off the guy... I mean, what shy Jewish kid wouldn't want to grow up to be one of the richest actors on television and surrounded by hot babes, all at the relatively tender age of 32? Wait... maybe I understand where the Stalkerettes are coming from...

steven

Zach Braff is one of the best actors out there today i'm a BIG fan of his and how dare you insult him like that!!!!

July 27 2007 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Hmm I thought about LumpyGs comment for a long time and then I finally got it.

You know I am from germany and for thirteen years in school I was taught that I am guilty for what "we" did 60 to 70 years ago.

Now since I don't know what to hate about jewish people I already wrote three different posts inquiring about why LumpyG wrote what he wrote - because I thought somebody could just hate Zach Braff's guts because they might just not like him.

And now, after almost half an hour of writing and deleting and re-editing my comment I finally got it - I remembered what jews were hated for back in the 1920s and 1930s here in germany. I actually had to read the german Wikipedia. They were accused of being greedy, rich and that they have large noses. Wow. I actually first thought that Lumpy might have pulled the race card unjustified... wow.

I guess there's not really a point in my comment but honestly I was quite baffled that there's still places in the world where jewish people are really hated and react to certain criticism because of it. To me, it was always just irritating that most of the sitcoms I watch are produced by people who have names that sound kind of german (you know, stuff I would find in my local phonebook).

It's kind of sad that in the US the criteria for hating jews are still that common that you can identify them as anti-semitism. I never got it until now. I guess i had about four years worth of WWII history classes in school where we talked about the atrocities and looking back I have to admit after a while it bored me. I always thought that it was unecessary to repeat it every year and thought that the lessons were useless. I guess they kind of were - I never learned why jews were hated - but in the end I am kind of glad about that.

June 08 2007 at 2:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

So I went over to check out their hit piece. When I got to the mention of friendster, Wolf Parade and I Heart Huckabees I had to check to make sure the date of the post wasn't 2005.

Way to be two years behind on the pop cultural references.

June 07 2007 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
trevor

First off, I do not read Gawker at all. I read and article or two on Gizmodo every month or so, but that is it. But isn't it at least a little important to point out that Gawker and Weblogs Inc. (owners of TVS) are competitors? This is the second article I have noticed on TVS that backed Gawker (the first being the video with Jimmy Kimmel and the lady from Gawker on Larry King).

June 07 2007 at 5:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

Keller, bitch about this in your own blog.

Have some standards for your posts.

June 07 2007 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tess Capra

He sent cupcakes to Pam Fischer when she broke her back, and that goes a long way in my book. C'mon! Delicious sugary treats with just a touch of whimsy.

June 07 2007 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
F Story

Gawker stinks. No need to read it, I'll give you their formula.

Not to be confused with the Maxim formula (which consists of adding the words "... kind of like your sister" to the end of every sentence), the Gawker formula for writing is as follows:

Take a topic no one cares about, make a joke about it being "too easy" to make a certain joke, proceed to make that joke, then copy and paste things from other websites. Throw in a splash of overinflated self-importance (the kind where you deny that you're some nobody loser playing with your laptop in a Starbucks) and you've got a Gawker article.

June 07 2007 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Western

I saw Mr. Braff at a screening of Garden State in Dallas. He was there for some Q&A afterwards. He was very friendly and funny. So maybe he's introverted on his own personal time and funny and extroverted in his public persona... And so...hmmm. People like the "Gawkers" attitude is, "We wish you were someone, so we could take you down a notch. So we will build you up, then knock you down to make my miserable life a tiny bit less miserable"

June 07 2007 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LumpyG

Maybe it's the bulbous nose comment but perhaps some anti-semitism is at work here.

June 07 2007 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Haunt

I hate haters. Seriously.

June 07 2007 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply