November 23, 2014

What I'm watching this summer: Anna's list

by Anna Johns, posted Jun 7th 2007 10:46AM
creature comforts
I'm actually looking forward to summer television this year as a break from all the hype and mania surrounding shows like Lost, 24, and American Idol. I get a little burned out on all the talk as the mainstream media outlets (Today, Good Morning America, all cable news channels) try to get their grubby hands on a fraction of the ratings for each show by covering them... heavily.

This summer, I'm taking it easy. I'm watching a few intense dramas that I enjoy and picking up a few more new programs that look light-hearted. No reality programming here. And, unlike Bob and Jonathan, I don't feel any allegiance to Studio 60. It's just not good.

Creature Comforts: This already started airing and the episode is still sitting on my TiVo. I loved the British version of the claymation show and I'm glad to see an American version here on CBS this summer. In case you don't know what it's about, it's real-life interviews with common folk but the audio is set to stop-motion clay animals. It's drop-dead hilarious, both for what the people say into the microphone but also for the matching clay characters with the trademark overbite from the Aardman Animation studios. Airs Mondays at 8 pm on CBS.

The Closer: I'm reviewing The Closer this summer for TV Squad. I am really looking forward to reuniting with one of the wackiest characters on television, Brenda Leigh Johnson. I'm curious as to what this third season will bring to Brenda. Her first season was about gaining the respect of the homicide team and her second season was about her and the team fighting against the rest of the LAPD (it was also about her eating healthier and moving in with Fritz). The Closer premieres on Monday, June 18 at 9 pm on TNT.

Rescue Me: I just got hooked on this show last summer and now I'm really looking forward to season 3. I think the appeal is just how bad all the characters are. Tommy Gavin is the most self-destructive, effed-up person on cable and even though I find myself wincing through episodes, I just can't look away. Rescue Me premieres Wednesday, June 13 at 10 pm on FX.

Robot Chicken: I'm looking forward to the Star Wars episode that Robot Chicken got to do in conjunction with George Lucas. Robot Chicken has already done some pretty great stuff with Star Wars action figures and it'll be fun to see what Seth Green and Matthew Senreich have dreamed up (the stills on the official website look pretty rad). The half-hour special airs on Cartoon Network on June 17 at 10 pm. Here's a link to the trailer.

Lil' Bush: I think I'm going to give this a try. My reasons are totally political. The Daily Show and Countdown with Keith Olbermann just aren't enough anymore as outlets that understand my frustration with the Bush Administration. I'm hoping for some good zingers in Lil' Bush, but if it's just childish rather than clever, I'll quickly tune out. Premieres June 13 at 10:30 pm on Comedy Central.

The Real Deal: TLC managed to steal Richard C. Davis and the Trademark team from Flip This House on A&E. This team of house flippers was by far the most interesting to watch. They scavenge for cheap real estate in South Carolina and work their employees hard and fast to flip homes in two weeks or less. I think it's the Southern accents and good ol' boy attitude that keeps me entertained. Airs Saturdays at 7 pm on TLC, beginning June 9.

Veronica Mars: I missed the boat on Veronica Mars. I've seen a few episodes here and there and thought they were great, but I was just too far behind on the series. This summer is the summer that I will Netflix the series and hope that this last season comes out on DVD real soon.

Mel

rvkey (#9)--

Kyle XY is returning for a second (longer!) season on June 11, in it's regular Monday at 7 timeslot. It looks really exciting, much deeper than the first season. Season one is out on DVD now as well.

June 07 2007 at 10:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vacelts

I can't wait for Rescue Me to start next week. I agree with Courtney about Eureka and with Regina about Psych and Monk.

I'm also hooked on Traveler.

Like you, I missed the boat on Veronica Mars, but have always wanted to catch it. Maybe I'll follow your lead and catch it on DVD this summer.

June 07 2007 at 8:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaymez

Creature Comforts sounds an awful lot like a slight variation of a SNL cartoon. Maybe it's from MadTV, I don't know. It sounds as if they replaced animation with claymation. Sounds rather lame.

June 07 2007 at 5:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rvkey

Did "Kyle XY" get canceled on ABC Family? If not, I suggest watching it. I like that show. Also, I don't know if "Hustle" on AMC counts as a summer show, but it's on now and it's great!

June 07 2007 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PB

Creature Comforts was totally hysterical this week. The episode started out a little slow, but the last half had me bursting out laughing constantly. So perhaps 5 minutes wasn't enough to get the feel? Just my two cents :-)

Personally, I'm glad that BBC America is rerunning MI-5 from the beginning. A&E totally screwed up when they broadcast this series and I missed a ton of episodes, so now I can start from the beginning and get my fix. It's great television and I can highly recommend it.

June 07 2007 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Duane

I really don't get the appeal of Creature Comforts. I Tivo'd it entirely based on the praise this site gives it, and couldn't stand it for more than 5 minutes.

Count me among the ones anxiously awaiting the return of Richard Davis and Trademark Properties to the airwaves. Coincidentally just this past weekend my wife and I were googling for information on whatever happened to him, and discovered his new show. (The fact that they've got a website www.flipthislawsuit.com gives you some idea of whatever happened to the first show...)

June 07 2007 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elliott

Lil' Bush does not look clever. I've watched a couple scenes that are included with episodes of other shows OnDemand. It would almost be more fun if they were poking fun at a fictitious person.

All the jokes I've seen have been done before. Perhaps if I wasn't a pop culture / Stewart / Colbert junkie it would seem remotely fresh and funny. I don't think even Iggy Pop or Dave Grohl can save it.

Speaking of which, I noticed TDS and TCR are missing from your list, but I guess they're kind of a no-brainer.

June 07 2007 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gabriel

You can watch some episodes of lil bush on their official website.

I don't think it's funny at all.

June 07 2007 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
OnlyRumors

I don't think TLC "stole" Richard Davis, didn't he actually have a falling out with A&E? Like, they stole his idea?

I'm glad someone finally acknowledged Richard Davis of Trademark Properties on this blog, he's my favorite person in reality television!

June 07 2007 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Regina

I have to agree with Courtney - Eureka is a great show and I'm looking forward to the second season. Also, Pscyh and Monk will be coming back for their summer runs and while Monk is good, Psych became one of my faves last year.

June 07 2007 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply