September 23, 2014

Stargate Atlantis: Submersion

by Brett Love, posted Jun 9th 2007 9:53AM
David Hewlett, Torri Higginson, Joe Flanigan

(S03E18) OK, before we get to the story, let me backtrack to last week for a moment. I wasn't a fan of how Beckett died because I didn't think it was big enough for such an important character. This week, that same thing kind of highlights one small issue with the episode. I know SG Atlantis isn't a strict serial and that they are planning to be showing these all over our television for years to come, but could a brother get a mention? Maybe just a little acknowledgment that one of the main characters died? Perhaps even a reaction, or something to show that anyone might be just a wee bit effected by his passing? I guess not.

Anyway... with that out of the way, back to "Submersion." This is what I would call a solid episode. It's not one that is going to have you rewatching it on the DVR again and again. No late night calls/IMs to all your pals making sure they didn't miss it. But it did deliver a pretty good story and marked the return of the wraith. Something I have been looking forward to.

The story was somewhat reminiscent of "The Defiant One" from season one. It would have been nice to see something more original, but I'm generally pretty easy on Stargate, so I was happy to go along for the ride. The change in venue added to this one quite nicely. I really enjoy the exploration of Atlantis and its surroundings. The voyage to the bottom of the ocean to find the portable drilling rig offered a compelling reason to get all of the characters down there. Although, exactly why Elizabeth was along for the ride I'm not completely sure of . Other than the obvious, of course.

The misadventures of Graydon and Dickinson didn't really come as a surprise. When they were sent off on their own you had to be thinking, "Why don't you just go ahead and issue them their red shirts right now." While the eventually amounted to cannon fodder, I did like the little name game they introduced to the story. Rodney hiring the wrong guy, "Are you sure?" "Yeah, it's my name." And it played out well when Dickinson actually knew Grayson, a heck of a scientist.

I really liked Teyla's part of the story. She's always just a little bit off center anyway, so it was fun to see that amped up even a bit more when she was taken over by the queen. The ending did come as a bit of a surprise. Based on how it all set up I thought we would see Teyla embracing her inner strength and laying the mental smack down on the queen, ripping the code right out of her head. Planting the false memory was quite the gamble, but being 30 minutes away from certain doom, gambles are in the ballpark.

As far as the queen herself, another nice job by Andee Frizzell. She's carved out a nice little niche playing wraith queens. That's the beauty of full facial make-up I suppose. I just really dig the wraith as an enemy. They're creepy as all get out and just badass. One thing I wasn't completely sure on though, is she really dead? The shootout would tend to suggest that, but this is not just a wraith we are talking about, but a wraith queen. And that last lingering shot of her lying on the floor seemed to suggest the possibility that we could see her again.

It remains to be seen just how, or if, this will all play into the story at large. Another huge power source is certainly an exciting idea. As is the possibility that Rodney could get the wraith ship operational again. I'm rooting for that, mostly because I just want to see a big showdown with the wraith, and that seems the most likely use of the ship. Just two episodes to go in the season, there should be big things on the horizon.

How do you feel about the lack of a mention for Beckett?
I already forgot about him, so why shouldn't the writers?15 (8.5%)
It's episodic TV, not a big deal.33 (18.6%)
It was a definite oversight.45 (25.4%)
No Beckett? Those bastards!84 (47.5%)

Akbar Fazil

Actually, bearxor you couldn't be MORE wrong.

The ratings DO count. Because of the way season 4 will be airing SciFi will be using the ratings from the back half of season 4 to plan for a possible season 5.

June 11 2007 at 6:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tcc3

bearxor, i think what i amounts to is that i just didnt care that much. I'm only watching SG1 out of morbid curiosity at this point. Its a shadow of its former self. Besides, a few months ago when they became available on the net I was busy watching the major network shows. Almost more than i have time for already. No real incentive to jump the gun.

June 11 2007 at 5:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bearxor

They mention Beckett in the next episode (is the next episode the finale?) whenever that girl from Firefly is sweating being the new doctor or something.

Honestly, I don't know why people would have waited to watch these episodes. SG1 is out regardless and Atlantis has been renewed regardless so ratings for these shows don't matter at this point. Both shows all the way up to the finales have been available for months in glorious HD through various bittorrent sites. Do you want to wait two more weeks to see the end of the series in shitty SD or watch it now in HD?

If Sci-Fi pulls the same crap they pulled this year with delaying the episodes for the US after they were done and aired in other parts of the world, I'll have no problems torrenting the episodes.

June 11 2007 at 10:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Omar, you must have seen this played in Canada or a different country then. This is the first time it has been aired in the US.

As for the no mention of Beckett in this episode, more than likely this was shot earlier than 'Sunday' but you can also consider that this mission took place shortly after those events. Diving (no pun intended) head first into a mission is a great way to not try to think to much about your loss.
You could also consider that this mission took place a long time after Beckett's death so they had already dealt with it and there was no need to mention it and bring up old pains.

June 10 2007 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

No rating?

Come on, I need a number from 1 to 7 to know how to bash you for choosing it ;-)

June 10 2007 at 5:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

I think the episodes were shot out of sequence or something. Sunday was filmed as episode 18 of 19 of this current season. Beckett eventually gets that mention in the season finale. So it's not the writers moving on so much as it hasn't happened yet.

June 09 2007 at 11:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
omar

how are any of these new episodes? I saw this four months ago on tv, as with the beckett being blown up one. were they mistakingly aired, or what?

June 09 2007 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C. Hernandez

I thought this was an okay episode, but that the whole fake-memory thing was too much like The Return Pt. 2.

June 09 2007 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Original and Stargate in the same sentence? hahahaha Please....

June 09 2007 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply