April 19, 2014

Cookie Monster loses cookie at disco - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 10th 2007 1:29PM
Cookie MonsterIf you're of a certain age, you know that disco infiltrated every aspect of popular culture many years ago. Every sitcom had to have at least one episode where the characters talked about going to a disco or practicing for a dance or actually going to a disco. Rock songs were disco-cized, commercials had disco music, and everyone wore bad clothes.

It happened with Sesame Street too. I don't know what year this is video is from, but it features Cookie Monster in a disco looking for a cookie. Or maybe some blow, if this is Studio 54. Not sure. But it's rather disturbing, especially since CM is wearing a bowtie and necklace that I don't think even Liberace would have been caught in. Video after the jump.

Tammy

I actually still have that album "Sesame Street Disco" ... Man, that was a classic album.

Here's a good list of Muppet bios ...

June 10 2007 at 11:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

I remember this when I was a kid, but didn't remember Elmo in it near the end. I can recall Elmo being around then but he had a different voice and everything. Wasn't used much "back in the day". :)

June 10 2007 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Asherbean

The best Sesame Street album of all time was "Sesame Street Fever." The jacket design alone was brilliant. I still have the disco version of "Doin' the Pidgeon" in my head from time to time. Pure genius.

June 10 2007 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam Finley

I had this album when I was a kid. Classic.

June 10 2007 at 5:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert

"Disco and bad Clothes" what do you call todays music?
Vulgar, obscene? And the clothes..Baggy Sloppy, is this the Age of Aquarius we all were waiting for? Is this good taste? No longer in need of dress codes? We dress too well for it ??????

June 10 2007 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Ott

Am I the only one who noticed, or are those 3 anything
muppets the same back-up singers who were found in
the 1977 Sesame Street disco classic, "Cookies (Shaft)".
He's shaggy, he's blue and he knows how to chew...
Cookiiiiiieeees!" This clip would've been funnier if Cookie
Monster strolled by the microphone stand and ate the
equipment again like he did in the older clip. Gags like that
are always funnier the second time around, but Cookie
Monster decided to continue his search for the cookie,
instead, begging the other people to help him find it. I
also noticed the studio is the same one featured with the
2-Headed Monster (D-ANCE), Grover dancing to the
alphabet song, some more anything muppets singing
"Salida" and "In, Out (That's what this song is all about)",
and "Honk Around The Clock" performed by The Honkers.
I have to commend the camera pan work on "In, Out", it
was a spectacular effect. One song also done in the same
studio backdrop was the repetative "I'm A Baby (Rock Me/
Da-Da, Goo-Goo, Wah-Wah-Wah-Wah!), which wasn't as
big a hit as the other disco songs on Sesame Street, at
least to my ears. Anyway, thanks for bringing back this
clip. By the way, is there any chance someone can remove
the National Association Of W Lovers spoof of bert being
portraited as Hitler from YouTube? That song is definatly
not "What is the letter we love/That sound that we're
extra found of?/It's not any trouble-u when you hear W/
when you hear W, W, W, W!" I suggest if something isn't
done to remove this terrible clip (color & b&w) "W Is For
Wechinstef" or whatever it's called from Youtube, have
the original Sesame Street clip removed from Youtube
until that other spoof is taken down from Youtube, then
bring back the original clip from Sesame Street again, as
"The National Association Of W Lovers.", with a special
icon telling people not to use it for um...evil purpouses,
and do the same for every other bad Youtube clip from
here on out, featuring any Sesame Street characters.
Please, give us more of the classics, and less of the junk,
unless it's Sesame Street classics from Oscar The Grouch.

June 10 2007 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply