October 25, 2014

Anchorwoman has Texas town talking

by Adam Finley, posted Jun 11th 2007 2:02PM

anchorwomanOn August 21 at 8:00 p.m., FOX will debut Anchorwoman, a comedy/reality TV program focusing on a swimsuit model who moves to the quiet community of Tyler, Texas to try her hand at local news reporting.

As a twist, the series will take place in an actual newsroom, KYTX-TV, a CBS affiliate. Actual newspersons will appear on the program, which has many people in the community asking if this is such a good idea.

Many feel that in an age when journalism is being slammed for focusing more on entertainment than information, making a local news station the center of a comedy is not the best idea in the world. Phil Hurley, the station president and general manager of KYTX, says it's only a comedy series that happens to be shooting in his station. Folks within the station's broadcast area can find out for themselves this evening when former WWE vixen and star of Anchorwoman Lauren Jones makes her debut on KYTX.

While I don't want to see a small town exploited for cheap laughs, my main concern as a viewer is whether or not this series will be funny. If nothing else, I think it would be cool if Stormy the Weather Dog became the breakout character and wound up with his own series.

Look for Anchorwoman to debut August 21 and then slip into its permanent timeslot of Tuesdays at 8:00 p.m. on August 28.

Perryman

Jeez o' flip this is funny.

Yeah, Tyler is my hometown as well, and most of my family still lives there while I am in Wash DC these days.
I watched the pilot... quite by accident was channel surfing and recognized background scenery going by... lol! I caught about the last 10 minutes of it.

I read all the "Tylerite" comments.... yup, you folks are bang on with your descriptions of Tyler... glad the show was cancelled.

BTW... my mom makes fun of the local news there. She lived in northern VA for 13 yrs and became accustomed to a little higher quality reporting. I was home in Feb and have to admit... it is pretty sad. But Tyler will always be home ;-)

I just found this blog sad, interesting and funny all at the same time..

Mike

August 24 2007 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gin

I watched the show last night and was never so embarressed of the portrayal of a town in my life. I was born and raised in Tyler, Texas. I went to a private school here and attended Tyler Junior College. I promise you that this mockery will not be taken lightly in this town. We pride ourselves in being a well educated and thriving town. We are not uneducated hicks.

There is really only ONE news chanel in this town and most of us know which one it is. The people on the ONE news station are true jounalist but are still personable and quite intellegent.

It seem to me that the young lady by the name of AnnaLisa seems to be jealous of not Jones intellegence but of Ms. Jones looks. If she were as intellegent as she claims to be she would NOT be on this reality joke.

The other Tylerites that appeared on the show are people that are always searching for the limelight any time the opportunity comes around. They always seem to fine a camera, be it in the news or in the BSeen magazine. (a local "who's who in tyler" magazine)

Mr. Hurley will probably be relocating away from Tyler permanently after this.

August 23 2007 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lisa

I watched the show tonight and it was hilarious! What was funny was not Lauren but the chick who was worried about being serious (Annalisa I think). It is a shame how serious local news people take themselves and it is refreshing to see that someone knows that covering stories of waterskiing squirrels is bs

August 23 2007 at 12:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
linda

As a person in the news industry, I am sick. This makes every journalist who put in their time in college, internships, and at a crappy small station look like fools! I worked hard to make it up the broadcasting ladder. I guess all I really needed to do was get a boob job and a blonde wig.

August 22 2007 at 9:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

Sandy Duncan was raised and educated in Tyler...just the next street over from me. We all used to go to her father's gas station. Tyler is a perfect place to raise a family with a branch of the University of Texas and a thriving economic sector co-mingled with various reglious factions co-existing peacefully toghter.

I don't think people will laugh at Tyler, but at the station manager, Mr. Hurley..literally the ringmaster of a true local(Stormy....the weather) dog and pony show..

Imagine him to be a brunette cousin of tele-evangalist Robert Tilton...ever believing in his own self generating publicity....inspiring his minions to assume the watching public is just a "Hee Haw" watching bunch of unwashed gun-toting peasants.....(I think this is his "target market" LOL! as the educated in the city prefer the other station).

Obviously, he has compromised his integrity (what little he has as the premiere station in Tyler has no need for anything less than professional journalism) and reputation by twisting real news affecting the lives of real people (some involving death, injury and suffering) to become trivialized and marginalized and ultimately lining his the pockets of his slick custom tailored suits (did I mention he also wears handmade shoes?)...

I will watch because a family member is part of the new business in a bigger market and because the legendary antics, gimmicks and schemes of Phil Hurley denote his greed and intentions to appears as a "mogul" on par with the likes of Rupert Murdoch (actually this town is chock full of people who could never make it a week anywhere else). But ironically, he is a laughing stock here in town with or without the stunningly gorgeous Miss Jones or his beloved "Stormy.....the weather dog".

Miss Jones would do well to go back to modelling skimpy bikinis...it would be a lot less embarrasing than hitching her beautiful cart to the likes of a snake in the grass as Mr. Hurley.

August 22 2007 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry

I also live in Tyler and find it strange that I will not be able to view this show tonight. As best I can see, Channel 19 which the show is about will be airing something else at 7pm. At first I thought it was because I had Dish instead of local cable but no, it isn't on any channels here. We take the Dallas paper and I saw that it will be on there so I am calling my son to ask him to watch it for me. Figures-Tyler isn't showing a show that is from here. Good grief! Oh well, I can watch Stormy each night-he's cuter than the show looks to be !

August 22 2007 at 8:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
k

I have lived in tyler all my life and I know this is not going to go over well. They are going to portray a city with around a 100 thousand people as losers and that's not cool. We may not be New York or LA, but we're not a nowhere hicktown either.

Certain ones in tyler, especially the news stations are always trying to look important and this is just another example of that that will backfire in the city's face.

August 19 2007 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bryan Michels

I left Tyler a year ago, to go to the "great" state of New York. Believe me when I say, Tyler is better!!!! Until Phil Hurley tries to do anything in town. He's been kicked out of one station there already, left the state, kicked out of there, and then came back. NOW HE"S TRYING TO MAKE TYLER A LAUGHING STOCK. SHAME ON HIM!!!!
He needs to get out of the news business and try to better something else, HIMSELF!!

July 18 2007 at 12:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
me

I have moved away from Tyler, for now. Somedays, I get so homesick I could just die! I cannot wait to see this show and maybe some familiar surroundings, as well.

July 04 2007 at 7:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patrick Clark

I was born in Tyler,then spent the next 18 years wanting to leave the HELL hole . But now I see a reason to return.

June 21 2007 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply