August 21, 2014

What I'm watching this summer: Keith's list

by Keith McDuffee, posted Jun 11th 2007 10:15AM
freaks and geeksAs I'm going over the other TV Squad blogger lists for their summer viewing, I realize there's a whole lot of nothing on TV during the summer, as if I needed anything to tell me that. Sure, there are some gems in there, but not much that gets me excited. Thank the lord for TV on DVD.

- Ghost Hunters -- Always a guilty pleasure of mine, and since last season things have improved. They've cut back on a lot of the drama that most of us just don't care about and seem to find some pretty interesting evidence most of the time, and the fact that these guys roam around my backyard most times (New England) makes it even the more interesting to me.

- Entourage -- It's strange to report that I'll be watching a new season of a show that just had its finale, but there it is. To be honest, I'm not completely sure why I'm lured into this show so much, as I think it's lost its edge. Maybe if they made the show an hour long...

- John from Cincinnati -- I'm not sure yet if this will be weekly viewing yet without seeing a couple of episodes. There's no doubt that it looks ... interesting, though when I read reviews like this one, I'm not sure what to think. I mean, everyone makes mistakes.

- Hell's Kitchen -- Another guilty pleasure. If nothing else, I like Ramsay's hard-ass approach and seeing good food, even if it's being ruined most of the time.

- Freaks and Geeks -- A dead show, but I've got it all on DVD and have already started going through it. I was originally planning on this being a Retro Squad show, but since we're scrapping that this summer, it's just mine, all mine.

- Dead Like Me -- Another "dead" show (haw haw) that I'll be going through this summer. I've only got season one on DVD, so it remains to be seen whether I'll bother with the second season. It'll be interesting to see how this show sizes up to Bryan Fuller's next project, Pushing Daisies, which based on the pilot looks to be a fall hit.

schrute to kill

will be watching...

dead like me seasons 1 & 2
prison break season 1
tom goes to the mayor complete series..again
the riches...dvr
and clearing various other things off the dvr

June 12 2007 at 9:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

I thought Battlestar Galactica was just another SG1 or something, but a friend convinced me to watch the miniseries from a few years ago and I loved it. So this summer I'll be watching seasons 1, 2 and 3 of Battlestar.

After that I'll catch up on the past season of Jericho, Supernatural and Heroes. (In that order.)

June 11 2007 at 11:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

Freaks & Geeks and Dead Like Me are both winners, but you're fooling yourself if you think Pushing Daisies is going to be a hit. Hate to say it, but it'll be awesome, nobody will watch, and it'll get cancelled.

June 11 2007 at 5:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
F Story

I'm not going to watch any of those.

Egan, out.

June 11 2007 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

I loved Dead Like Me. You will really enjoy that.

I'm waiting for second season of Weeds to come out on DVD and the first season of Dexter. What are the due dates for these? anyone know?

We are putting our house on the market soon so I'm addicted to HGTV again. Also I discovered my buddies at Trademark are on TLC now with Real Estate Pros. (Thanks to TV Squad for bringing that to my attention.) They are always entertaining.

Of course my two favorite summer shows are Rescue Me and The Closer. I've go them queued up #1 and #2 on my Tivo!

June 11 2007 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I thought the second season of DLM was bad when it was on SHowtime. Watching the DVD changed my mind. The second season the charaters really grow into their own with their flaws and it is also wonderfuly done.

Plus there is talk of a DVD DLM movie so we shall see.

June 11 2007 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

The first season of Dead Like Me is television watching at its finest. I disagree with someone earlier who said that it got better in the second season. For me the second season couldn't capture the magic that made the first season so awesome.

June 11 2007 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

dead like me and freak and geeks are two great choices. if you havent done it in a while, i'd recommend rewatching (or watching for the first time) my so called life. i just rewatched that and f&g (also undeclared) over the last month or so. i have nothing to do after work now that shows are on summer break (you can only hang out with friends so often, its fucking expensive too).

June 11 2007 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SamMalone

Freaks and Geeks is great. Some of the commentary tracks are even good. Be sure not to miss the one with all the girls from the show together, I had visions of pillowfights in my head with that one.

June 11 2007 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

@JJ -- Well for one, some of us are burned out from doing episode reviews, so the summer's a welcome break. Also, I'm not sure there was all that much interest from the readers.

June 11 2007 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply