April 24, 2014

Yup, Ryan did get that promotion on The Office

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 11th 2007 4:21PM

B.J. NovakRemember the twist at the end of the season finale for The Office, where Ryan got the job that Michael, Jim, and Karen interviewed for? Judging from e-mails and other comments, many fans were confused and didn't think that Ryan really got the job, that it was some sort of trick out by the show that would be explained when the new season starts. But it looks like Ryan did indeed get the gig (which is probably good, since it would be weird being in the same office as the girlfriend you just said "we're done" to).

At the end of this New York piece about new NBC head Ben Silverman, it is revealed that B.J. Novak (who plays Ryan) will use Silverman as an inspiration in his new job. He's even studying his mannerisms.

The article is a bit confusing in its own right though. It says that Ryan is "the newly made boss on The Office," which makes it sounds like he got Michael's job.

Joey Geraci

Is anybody else incredibly disappointed with what they did with Jan's character? And it just seems so weird making Ryan the big corporate boss of Michael. It makes no sense whatsoever.

July 21 2007 at 8:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

SpaceCase,

Does it feel good to put me down for stating my opinion and trying to be part of the conversation? I bet it does.

I don't work in a corporate office, but it occured to me that Ryan might take a demotion (yes, I knew it would have been a demotion), because he's so desperate to get out of Scranton.

You know what else? Every morning I wake up, I LOVE going to my job.

July 03 2007 at 1:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anna

The actress who plays Karen has her own show, non-Office-related, on I think FOX next year. So she's gone.

I remember someone thinking that Ryan got Jan's assistant's job before. That just doesn't make sense. And having Ryan become Michael's superior will be awesome in terms of creating awkward situations.

June 23 2007 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tyler Durden

schrute to kill,

Wasn't there something about Karen leaving the show anyway? Thought I read spin-off...

You're right though, Michael couldn't be moved anymore than Dwight, Jim, or Pam.

June 12 2007 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SpaceVenus

I guess there are people who can't understand the show even if they follow it.

Melissa, you're probably the only one who would think that a move from a junior sales associate to an administrative assistant would qualify as a promotion. Very astute.

June 12 2007 at 9:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
schrute to kill

it was obvious that ryan got jan's old job.

there was loose foreshadowing & just certain common sense that helps this move make sense...

-ryan's constant talk of business classes & the fact he was just finishing his mba
-he was never concerned with what it took to make a sale...was always more concerned with promotion
-at some point i believe he mentioned he was looking into another job
-as previously stated by dave, this is perfect satire of the business world...hire the young guy fresh out of college=alleged fresh ideas and lower administrative salary despite a lack of proven worth
-they could never move michael
-you get rid of karen or jim and you releave the tension which was just created by the new "open" pam ruining one of the best plot lines to propel your fourth season

you have to actually follow a good show if you want understand it

June 12 2007 at 9:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deezul

For anyone who watches/watched "The Loop" it's the same thing. Hotshot MBA right out of college goes to the executive boardroom, hilarity ensues. Well, maybe not so much on the the "The Loop," but I liked it. Glad to see FOX burning off the episodes this summer instead of just canning it all together.

June 12 2007 at 7:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

I think the idea is a riff off the corporate culture tendency to reward "fresh ideas" over proven experience; ie Ryan the hot, young MBA is a better bet to shake things up with the revolutionary new ideas only young people can come up with. Bullshit, yes, but pretty spot-on satire I have to say.

June 11 2007 at 11:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

I think the confusion was as to whether Ryan recieved Jan's old job, or if he was replacing Hunter, Jan's assistant.

It makes more sense to me that Ryan would be replacing Hunter rather than Jan.

June 11 2007 at 10:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joshua Stein

I think people were confused by the fact that he was never even mentioned as a candidate, you never saw him making plans to interview, etc. Plus, he still hasn't made a sale. So people were expecting the answer to be "A" "B" or "C", and instead, the answer was "Pineapple".

And technically, since he is getting Jan's old job, he will be the boss of the office.

June 11 2007 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply