September 30, 2014

Even Christopher Hitchens is writing about Paris Hilton

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 12th 2007 4:01PM

Paris HiltonI always look forward to what Christopher Hitchens has to say. I don't always agree with him (for example, his Vanity Fair piece saying that female comedians aren't funny was just stooopid), but he's an intelligent guy and always has a unique take on politics, history, and culture. And now he has written an article for Slate on the Paris Hilton case.

Should he even be writing about someone like the Simple Life star, when he himself admits that the case has been covered way too much? He confronts this paradox, but I still wonder if he succeeds in defending his choice to write about her (though I don't really think he needs to defend it).

But the piece is interesting. Hitchens admits he has seen the Hilton sex video, says he doesn't like Sarah Silverman (big shock), and thinks that the treatment Hilton is getting "stinks" and that she should be left to live the life she has been given.

alan simonson

I would like to know what Christopfer Hitchens thinks of " Humanistic Judaism" & Rabbie Sherwin Wine.

July 28 2007 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hyb43

I love Christopher (not Chris, as he often corrects people) Hitchens' writing, but there's no doubt that he's always been a wee bit defensive about people hitting the bottle.

June 12 2007 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hylo

I love Chris Hitchens. He's such an intelligent bloke and boy does he avoid sitting on the fence. I love him, and I love his new book. I don't of the female comedian article that was referred to but I've been thinking about it and I can't think of one funny female comedian.

June 12 2007 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

can you really agree vehemently?...

I suppose so,.. but it just doesn't sound right to me.

Moving on.............

June 12 2007 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

Hitchens is definitely a very interesting character. I agree with him vehemently on some things, disagree vehemently on others (his politics sometimes).

Though it's stupid to say that there aren't any funny women, you have to admit there aren't really any great female comedians. There was Roseanne, and now there's Sarah Silverman, who imo is largely hit-and-miss.

June 12 2007 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
homerj312

When it comes to politics Hitchens is God (and yes, I realize the irony).

June 12 2007 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tess Capra

I don't think he proves his point at all with comments like this:

"Purportedly unaware that her license was still suspended, a result of being found with a whiff of alcohol on her breath...."

The word he is looking for is DRUNK. Whether she blew a .08 or .30, she was still driving while legally intoxicated. I have zero sympathy for her and am horrified at the media coverage in the same way I was by the wall-to-wall coverage of Anna Nicole Smith's death.

June 12 2007 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply