November 1, 2014

Now on iTunes: Great Shows You May Have Missed

by Anna Johns, posted Jun 13th 2007 1:24PM
friday night lightsThe folks over at iTunes have created this handy list for people who want to spend some time this summer catching up on the television shows that don't get as much buzz (anything that's not Lost, Grey's Anatomy, 24). The list includes full seasons of Friday Night Lights, Jericho, 30 Rock, The Shield, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate, The Riches, Dirt and Eureka. Also? You can bask in the glory of hastily canceled shows like Andy Barker, P.I., Veronica Mars, and The Black Donnellys. Oh, and Studio 60 is on there, but I wouldn't call that a "hastily" canceled show. (The current--and final--season of The Loop is also on iTunes, though it's not on the 'Missed' list)

This is a great idea. Many of the shows listed get a lot of buzz on sites like ours (because our readers know good television), but the general population doesn't seem to catch on. If only How I Met Your Mother would get on iTunes... it could definitely use some more fans as it heads into season 3.

Nikki Allen

The Black Donnellys was definitely cancelled way, way too soon!! I don't know what NBC was thinking with this one. It's an amazing show with an incredible cast and crew! If you haven't watched it, head over to NBC.com where they are showing all of the episodes or go to Itunes like I did and buy the whole season. It's worth the money, believe me!!

June 21 2007 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaime

Thanks for the article. Yes There are still people who appreciate great TV. The Black Donnellys was very artful and deep. The masses would rather watch people bicker, act petty and try to sing or dance. That's where America has gone. But we are still here the audience for "The Black Donnellys" is still trying to fight for it to have a space on the tube.

June 19 2007 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dckatiebug

CBS absolutely mis-handles HIMYM. Why isn't the second season coming out on DVD before the third season debut? Why isn't it available on iTunes, CBS.com, or On-Demand (when I had Comcast, I could watch several CBS shows on-demand, but not HIMYM)? Why is the show rarely promoted? I mean, I'm thrilled that there is going to be a third season, but CBS really seems determined to keep the show in the critically acclaimed but rarely seen category.

Oh, and ditto on the Donnellys. I ended up watching the show by accident when it preempted Studio 60 and I liked it more. HDNet is also re-airing the show if you're unwilling to buy a series that you've never seen on iTunes. I would bet that anyone who watches a couple of episodes will be hooked ...

June 19 2007 at 9:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ILoveTommy

iTunes is a great way to see the shows you love when you want. The Black Donnellys is one of those shows that you will want to see the entire season once you've seen the pilot. Thank goodness for iTunes.

June 19 2007 at 12:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ruth82

Hi Anna! Thanks for posting the list. Some of these shows, I'll have to watch for myself.. and I agree, "hastily cancelled" indeed. I'm not sure how you feel about it, but I hate it, when you start to watch something.. and realize how great and special it is.. for it to get the boot.

It really becomes difficult to invest in anything on network tv.. WHICH is why people do result to iTunes, or YouTube. We definitely have a bit more control of what we watch and when.

I for one was one of the individuals downloading the episodes of The Black Donnellys. NBC didn't give this series a chance to thrive.. rather it did pretty well on iTunes. What can you do?

June 16 2007 at 1:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paige

The Black Donnellys; not that is a GREAT show. NBC should have given it a chance but didn't! Check out the pilot on Itunes or NBC.com. You won't be sorry!

June 15 2007 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stefanie

I totally agree about The Black Donnellys being perfect fot Sopranos fans. TBD is an awesome show that really was ended too soon. It had a lot of potential of becoming a hit for NBC. I just wish they would have let it prosper on it own. Episodes can be downloaded on itunes but if you want to check them out before you buy them, episodes can still be viewed at www.NBC.com. TBD really is something special.

June 15 2007 at 7:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mija71

I'd recommend the Black Donnellys to all of the Sopranos fans out there who are looking for a new mob family to fall in love with. The Donnellys aren't the Sopranos but they are every bit as entertaining (more so in my book!). Check out Season 1 on HDNet on Wednesdays at 8 and 11 p.m. EST, on Itunes, or on nbc.com. Then join us in the campaign to get the Donnelly brothers picked up by HBO. Visit www.savetheblackdonnellys.net for more information on the Save The Black Donnellys campaign. Family above all!

June 14 2007 at 1:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vacelts

I highly recommend Friday Night Lights. It's so much better than the movie.

June 13 2007 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

Andy Barker P.I had so much potential...

June 13 2007 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply