October 1, 2014

Veronica Mars may return -- in print

by Richard Keller, posted Jun 13th 2007 10:01AM

Veronica Mars -- Possibly coming to a comic book near youThose of you who have been diligently sending Mars candy bars to Dawn Ostroff, head of CW programming to save Veronica Mars from permanent cancellation may want to hold off on the next shipment when you hear what creator Rob Thomas has to say. In a recent newspaper interview Thomas pretty much said that VM is over for good as a television series.

Oh, he's not upset with the fans for trying. In fact, according to the interview, he loves that the fans have been making this all-out effort to renew the show. It's just that the CW's Ostroff doesn't get to make the final call if the show stays or not. That call is made by sister company CBS. Thomas believes that head honcho Les Moonves doesn't want to continue the show.

However, that doesn't mean that we won't see Veronica and her friends again. Thomas recently had a meeting with DC Comics and they are interested in producing a season 4 comic book. I'm not sure this work work for Veronica Mars. I can see it with shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel and Star Trek because the science-fiction and fantasy elements these shows include fit well into a comic book format. Would you buy a season 4 Veronica Mars comic?

[Thanks to Lampbane for the tip]

Andrea Martin

I have enjoyed the show so much and it is crazy that the heads at CBS dont look at the quality of story and actors and take it for themselves and really give it a shot. I mean do they even know what the ratings would be could we all get the channel on our local affiliates. I have to snatch it off the web just to watch every week. You big shots dont know all the info you dont get.

June 25 2007 at 9:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pepper

I agree with the 3rd comment.

I think it is better if book series are published rather than comic books.

Or better yet, let another pick VM up.

I am disappointed that it is gone since the ratings were low, but it is still worth watching even though the last season was lackluster.

June 18 2007 at 12:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SocKiah

Honestly, I think Veronica Mars could be great as either a comic book or a regular book. Veronica Mars was a brilliant show, in part because it's storytelling shared many elements with that of a book. Watching season one totally feels like reading a book storywise (to me anyway). Unless the story completely sucks, I am positive Veronica Mars would work in this format.

June 13 2007 at 11:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Geof F. Morris

Only if Kristen Bell came over to read it to me.

June 13 2007 at 10:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
snife

I'm not really into comic books - years of television have ruined my imagination, i've been reading Buffy Season 8 but it doesn't compare to having a TV season.

VM wouldn't work as a comic as it wouldn't have at least 50% of what makes VM great : Kristen Bell.

I'm thinking positively - we'll get another season or at least a mini season, those CW bitches better not just keep our Mars Bars and give us nothing.

June 13 2007 at 6:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Berto

F* yeah.

June 13 2007 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

People claiming that comics are too "childish" should try some books like Fables or the Walking Dead series or Y:The Last Man. I think VM could easily translate to comic book format.

June 13 2007 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

Rather read a real book. Comics are too childish for my taste.

June 13 2007 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rex from Ars

I'll take a 4th season of Veronica Mars any way I can get it. I haven't read a comic book since I was 12 years old, but if your article had a link to subscribe to said comic, I woulda signed up already.

Then again, I also ordered "Nepture Noir" last week on Whitney Matheson's recommendation alone.

June 13 2007 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bgdc

1. Veronica Mars Season 1 was supposed to be a novel. Rob Thomas said he was too lazy to write it that way.

2. The strength of Mars wasn't just the writing but also the perfect casting of the principals (Keith, Veronica, Logan, Lamb, Van Lowe). The actors took good writing and made it better with exceptional line readings.

3. Comics...eh. No way. See above. Reading VM would be worthless without the actors adding their spin to the parts.

June 13 2007 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply