September 23, 2014

What I'm watching this summer: Adam's list

by Adam Finley, posted Jun 13th 2007 1:01PM

ice road truckers

Hey gang, here's a few shows I plan on checking out this summer. Some are old, some are new.

Creature Comforts [Mondays at 8:00 p.m. on CBS]: What can I say that I haven't said already? It's a charming little animated show that pipes the everyday conversation of normal human beings through animated animals. It's such a simple idea, but at the same time it demonstrates how we probably have more in common with one another than we realize.

Ice Road Truckers [begins June 17 at 10:00 p.m. on the History Channel]: This new series focuses on truck drivers who risk injury and death while driving their big rigs across frozen lakes. It's one of the world's most dangerous occupations, and one I wasn't even aware existed until hearing about this new series a few months ago.

State of Mind [begins on Lifetime July 15]: I'm a fan of actress Lili Taylor, and, being impressed by the premiere of Army Wives, I'm guessing this one just might be worth checking out, too. Taylor plays a therapist whose personal problems are far worse than those of her patients.

Frontline and NOVA [PBS, check listings]: I'm a sucker for well-constructed news documentaries and anything having to do with science, what can I say?

Monk [season six begins July 13 at 9:00 p.m.]: I don't cover this show anymore for TV Squad, but I still watch it. Yeah, every episode is pretty much the same, but Monk is like that comfortable pair of sneakers I just can't bring myself to throw out.

Moral Orel; Saul of the Molemen; Frisky Dingo; Lucy, Daughter of the Devil; and the Robot Chicken Star Wars Special: As Moral Orel and Saul finish off their respective seasons, Adult Swim fans can look forward to new episodes of Frisky Dingo, Harvey Birdman (the last couple episodes, anyway), Robot Chicken and the premiere of Lucy, Daughter of the Devil. Check out the schedule.

I've also been watching a lot of reruns of The Wonder Years and Magnum P.I.

Adam Finley

Fett's Vette is on my iPod, as well. :)

MC Chris rocks.

June 13 2007 at 10:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

@Bash: Must be the same rock I live under because I've never heard of it either. But, I bet I could name some things that I think everyone has heard of that you haven't, but I wouldn't be so rude as to say 'What, do you live under a rock or something?'

As for the Robot Chicken Star Wars special... As I was listening to my mp3 player, I had the sudden dear, dear hope that they were going to use Fett's Vette. Please, oh please... tell me its in there.

June 13 2007 at 10:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

I wonder under which rock you lived not to have come across ice road trucking yet.

And "Creature Comforts" stinks. I love Artman Animation but the interviews are of people who are so plain stupid... who would embarrass themselves doing these kinds of interviews? The answer is: stupid people. And honestly, exploiting people with a small IQ and then adding animated scenes is just not my kind of humor. I don't like making fun of people who might just have been less fortunate in their upbringing or maybe don't have the best set of DNA strands. It's not their fault so don't drag them in front of a microphone and make them say stuff they'd rather write into their diary than talk about on television.

June 13 2007 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaymez

As a former truck driver, I'm really looking forward to Ice Road Truckers. I hope they get into some of the mechanicals of the trucks in the course of the show, too. That enviorment isn't exactly well suited for diesels. It's the only new show I'm looking forward to.

June 13 2007 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vacelts

I love Monk. Tony Shaloub is wonderful and Natalie is even starting to grow on me. Sure you can guess the killer from the very beginning, but it's not about the crime. It's about watching Monk obsess about everything.

June 13 2007 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pamela

The Closer, Rescue Me, The Dead Zone, The 4400, Eureka, Psych, and Monk. I also started watching Traveler.

June 13 2007 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

If this is the first time you've heard of ice road trucking, I guess History is doing a better job of promoting the series than they did the 2003 episode of "Modern Marvels" which featured it. I'm not sure what the series is going to tell us that the documentary didn't, but it sounds like "The Real Truck Drivers of Nome, Alaska".

June 13 2007 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
F Story

That list kind of stinks. Except for Frontline - that show is almost as good as The Nine.

Egan, out.