Kelly Clarkson cancels summer tour

by Liz Finn-Arnold, posted Jun 15th 2007 2:02PM
Kelly ClarksonKelly Clarkson has held the title of the "most successful American Idol recording artist" for a very long time. But things aren't going so well for Kelly who has cancelled her summer tour due to poor ticket sales.

Kelly posted the following statement on her website: "In the craziness of the music business, performing is what I look forward to doing the most, so it is really disappointing to me to have to tell you that I won't be coming out to tour this summer ... But I promise you that we're going to get back out there as soon as is humanly possible to give you a show that will be even better."

While recording her latest CD, "My December," Kelly clashed with RCA's Clive Davis over creative control. And earlier this week she fired her longtime manager, Jeff Kwatinetz. In a recent interview with Elle Magazine, a bitter-sounding Kelly complained, "I've sold more than 15 million records worldwide, and still nobody listens to what I have to say. Because I'm 25 and a woman."

"If you read the tea leaves, [the cancellation] is not really a surprise. There's so much turmoil going around her with her management situation and her record company ... taking a step back and rethinking everything might not be a bad idea," said Gary Bongiovanni, editor of Pollstar (the magazine that tracks the concert industry).

Kelly's tour to promote the upcoming release of "My December" would have taken her to 31 North American cities. The tour's promoter, Michael Rapino, chairman of Live Nation, issued a statement saying, "We came to the realization that we bit off more than we could chew."

What does this mean for Kelly Clarkson and her fans? Will Kelly be able to regroup and sell-out smaller, more intimate venues? Or have American Idol-related tours simply over-saturated the concert market? Will Kelly bounce back to sell millions of albums? Or has her time to shine simply passed?

Is Kelly Clarkson in danger of becoming a "fallen Idol?"

Kathie

I went to one of her concerts last summer. She sang a few of the songs on the new CD and I thought they were great. Yes, they are different, but they show the growth in her amazing talent. I didn't buy a ticket to this year's concert because the price nearly tripled from last year. I hope when she resumes her concert tours, they can do something to keep the ticket prices more reasonable. I will be buying her new album.

June 26 2007 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jess

I have to say that I am shocked and extremely disappointed. I have been to each and every one of her concerts since the AI tour in the very beginning. I just hope that she isn't becoming an overwhelming diva and is making this decision for all the right reasons..not wrong ones. I only wish her all the best and hope that she is able to sort all of this drama out.

June 22 2007 at 6:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jess

June 22 2007 at 6:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christopher

I was looking forward to seeing her. Her older stuff is OK, but this new album has really caught my attention because it is more raw and edgier. Some of her older stuff was nice, but seemed formulaic and kind of punk rock. Perhaps that is what she is fighting? Anyhow, I can't wait. Her voice is awesome and she loves REBA MCINTYRE. That's aces in my book.

June 20 2007 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
frank

I Have a pre-released version of the Kelly Clarkson Cd, and yes it may be darker but there are many incredible songs on it.....give it a chance! After a few listens youll love it!!!!!

June 20 2007 at 11:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

I'm thinking her new album will likely disappoint fans and will definately sell less than the prior album. The new song is just okay, nothing special.

It would seem she has peaked and is now on the downward side of her career.

June 18 2007 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Philip

Who cares about a tour, yeah i am disappointed but Kelly Needs to do what is good for her. kelly clarkson is amazing on so many levels. It is really sad to see her label to treat her like that. She is indeed one of the best voices in the world, she has proved she can SING ANYTHING!!! I think who cares if her new stuff is not as commercial as her previous but hey people love it when an artist sings music that is real. That is what the radio world lacks, which is REAL music that people can relate with. Kelly Clarkson will be around for a long time. So i think if her lable backs her up she will be fine, So to Clive Davis, come on man, Kelly knows what she is doing. We her fans love her and have lots of faith in all that she does. Breakaway was the same way, people didnt necessarily love it for the songs on the radio but for the Album as a whole. She is Phenominal and she will prove that when people her My December as a Whole!!! Lots of love to Kelly Clarkson!!!

Sincerely,

Chicago’s #1 Kelly Clarkson Fan
Philip Leodoro

June 18 2007 at 3:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

"My December" will still sell millions, but not as many as "Breakaway". I saw her in concert a couple of years ago, and she puts on a great show.

June 16 2007 at 9:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
christina

Kelly is a talented girl. She will definitely be able to bounce back from this.

Plus, her new cd sounds amazing. The only reason why she's been getting so much negative press about her new album is because there aren't any "radio-friendly" songs on it. My December definitely sounds darker and edgier than Breakaway.

Kelly is an amazing singer and I really hope she can get through all this bad press she's been getting. I wish her much success.

June 16 2007 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pete

Touché tom, you showed me. Comical.

June 15 2007 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply