April 25, 2014

What I'm watching this summer: Brett's list

by Brett Love, posted Jun 15th 2007 8:00AM
Bruce Campbell

As I started putting this list together it occurred to me, "Holy crap, there is a lot of good TV this summer." The summer used to be the time when my VCRs cooled their worn out heads after nine months of hard work. And now I find myself needing the Tivo and the DVR to keep up with everything. That's progress!

The Loop: I really can't figure out the thinking behind Fox's handling of The Loop. The first season (available on DVD) was only seven episodes, which kind of led one to believe that would be it. For some reason though, they ordered a second go round. But then they postponed and pushed back the premiere of season two until we find it burning up on Sunday nights in the summer. How they came to the decision that Happy Hour was a better option for the fall schedule baffles me. I'll watch the run to the end of the series though, even if I am disappointed that they cut Lizzy and Piper out of the show while giving us more Derek.

Entourage: Almost as puzzling as Fox's handling of The Loop is HBO's decision to start up the new season of Entourage after taking just a couple weeks off. Not that I'm complaining. This is my favorite of the HBO shows, so the more episodes the better. Based on the previews, the action on the set of Medellín should be a lot of fun.

So You Think You Can Dance: American Idol's little brother is well on its way to becoming a summer tradition. And that's a good thing. Once they get past the AI-style audition episodes, which they did this week, it really is a good show.

The cooking tri-fecta: With the premiere of Bravo's Top Chef on Wednesday night I am now following three cooking competition shows. That one joins Hell's Kitchen and Next Food Network Star. Nobody that has had my cooking would ever confuse me with a chef. In fact, the other day I baked tater tots in a frying pan because that's what was clean and available. (They're great with chili on top.) Even with my questionable culinary skills, I still find watching people that can actually do it very interesting.

Erica Cerra Eureka: Battlestar seems to get most of the press, but Eureka is my favorite of the Sci-Fi originals. It's like Northern Exposure with advanced math. And I mean that in a good way. With a great cast and fun stories, there is a lot to like.

Big Brother (maybe): This one is hit and miss for me, based on the casting. I start watching it every year, but it's 50/50 as to whether or not I'll stick with it. If they manage to put together an entertaining cast I'll go ahead and put up with the robotic Julie hosting and head over to Jokers to get all the little details about what we didn't see.

Burn Notice: Bruce Frickin' Campbell. I would watch anything with him in it. I even watched that bad SciFi movie he did with Renee O'Connor, Alien Apocalypse. I knew going in it would be bad, but it had Bruce, so I watched anyway. And it was great, while remaining so very bad.

My Boys: This one actually surprised me when it debuted on TBS last season. I wasn't expecting much, but it is a fun little show. I think Jordin Spiro is great as PJ and the Trouty character quickly became one of my favorites.

Racing: I gave up the stick and ball sports a few years ago for various reasons. Now my televised sports fix comes from curling in the winter, and racing through the spring and summer. I'll watch every Nextel Cup and F1 race, most of the IRL and NHRA schedule, and random NASCAR Truck, AMA, World Rally, and sports car races as time permits.

I Bet You: This one is a little bit obscure. I don't know how many people actually get MOJO. If you do though, it's worth a look. The idea is simple. Poker pros Phil Laak and Antonio Esfandiari walk around town making bets about all manner of things. From the simple, how much is that shirt in the window, to the elaborate, who can learn to surf faster.

Pages of books: Technically, I'll be "watching" them turn as I catch up on some reading that has been put off over the last few months. There is that new Harry Potter book coming out as well. You might have heard about it. Apparently it's pretty popular. And since I've read the first six, I figure I might as well see how it all turns out. But damn, if Hagrid starts singing Journey songs and then the book just runs out of pages unexpectedly, I'll be pissed.

vacelts

Eureka is wonderful. And I'll be trying out Burns List.

June 22 2007 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

Does kinda suck that they had to cut some Loop characters, but at least they kept Hockey Monkey. Is there a weirder and more awesome choice of theme songs on network TV?

June 15 2007 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Meaghan

I love cash cab, but what kills me is that I wish that they would play the video challenge, even if the people choose to walk with their money. It would be soooo much more fun to see if they would have gambled well or poorly, and besides, I am playing along and I bet the whole thing every time.... I'd like to see if I would double my money. Come on cash cab- play the video clue every time!!!!!

June 15 2007 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Crow

Love Cash Cab. It really is addicting. Ben Bailey rocks!

June 15 2007 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

For all you Cash Cab lovers, check out this awesome short film staring Ben Bailey:

June 15 2007 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J8675309

100% agree with Cash Cab. Love the speed, love the attitude, love the host, love the questions, love the contestants.

Cash Cab, best game show on TV.

June 15 2007 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bd

Still no 4400 love? Come on TV Squad! Step up.

June 15 2007 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Love

Tammy, I'm right with you on Cash Cab. It comes on right after I get home from work and I watch it regularly. The thing that always bothered me about Millionaire was that they took so long between questions. No such worries with Cash Cab. They get so many questions jammed into a half hour that it makes it very fun.

June 15 2007 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

One very under rated Game Show that has new episodes this summer is Cash Cab on the Discovery Channel. I learned about it months ago and started Tivoing it every day. It's a game show inside a NYC taxi cab. They answer questions while he drives them to their destination and if they get three wrong, he drops them off on the street wherever they are. It's a quick show and I'm addicted. I have say "RED LIGHT CHALLENGE" with him every time. I highly recommend this to anyone who loves trivia.

I'm also a So You Think You Can Dance person. I refused to watch it the first season because it was right after AI and it just seemed like too much. But last season I got hooked right away because the group of contestants had so much personality and they had some fantastic choreographers. Who knew that some of these choreographers would become household names. Last night I knew immediately who did the opening number and that made it even more enjoyable. Now if only Mary could control that laugh.... it makes my husband's skin crawl so he can't stand to watch the show with me.

I agree with Eureka as well. I'm not a big SciFi fan but I adore this show. I like quirky town shows like this. My top summer shows are Rescue Me and The Closer.... "Thank You, Thank You Very Much".... I'm planning on checking out Burn Notice, Damage, and Saving Grace though.

June 15 2007 at 9:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Leach

My wife and I love I Bet You. Phil and Antonio are hilarious. I am glad to see someone else is watching this show.

June 15 2007 at 9:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply