September 1, 2014

Campbell Brown moves to CNN

by Anna Johns, posted Jun 16th 2007 10:05AM
campbell brownNBC News anchor Campbell Brown is moving to CNN. She has been co-anchoring Weekend Today since 2003, but her contract is up at the end of this month and she is not re-signing with the network. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that she didn't get the Today anchor gig when Katie Couric left for CBS. Brown was reportedly one of the Top 5 contenders for the job, but it went to Meredith Vieira.

While a newsperson's jump from NBC to CNN isn't that exciting, Campbell's move may signal a shake-up at CNN. TV Newser is reporting that she may be getting her own show... in place of Paula Zahn's 8 pm NOW broadcast, which has had dwindling ratings.

It'll be interesting to see what Brown brings to CNN. Except for her recent stint on Weekend Today, her background is hard news. She's been working as a correspondent for NBC since 1996 and has covered everything from Bill Clinton's impeachment trial, the Pentagon, the war in Kosovo, and George W. Bush's 2000 presidential campaign.

sandy kuhar

All I can say is I miss Campbell in the morning. I hope everything is well with her.

November 25 2007 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
niteangel629

I like Cambell, I hope that she's happy at cnn & that she has a very happy healthy baby, anyone know if she's having a boy or a girl?

November 19 2007 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Yong

Oh my gosh, I just saw Campbell on Democratic Debate in Las Vegas. Of course, through news highlights. And I was wondering where she has been all these time outside of Weekend Today Show. I really enjoyed her presence every weekend and more. She was charming, joyful, and cheerful but at the same time when she substituted for Brian Williams for Nightly News, she looked tough. I used to laugh and smiled when I was watching Today Weekend Edition but not any more because there is no Campbell which means boring. I really like that and I'm sure she will do the same at CNN. I used to watch CNN and Headline News time to time when I used to have Prime Cable package. In other words, not basic service. If I get prime edition, I will surely watch Campbell on CNN and NBC Nightly News with Brian and Lester.

The reason Campbell left NBC is because NBC have never gave her primary position like Matt, Brian, Katie, Tom, and Stone. She has her primary and well deserved position as an news anchor now. I know how she feels. I'm really happy for her.

When Mrs. Viera came over to Today, I was shocked because it will not be the "Today" the way it used to be. And guess what, Mrs. Viera is a game and comedy host not a journalist. Nonetheless, she is die-hard Red Sox fan which it bring a lot of hate from New Yorkers. NBC should know better than that. Well, I guess I have to switch to GMA.

November 16 2007 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marcella

I think the Today week-end show is boring now, first Solodad left and now Campbell, and I think the extra hour is too noisy, and will probably follow Campbell to CNN, so let me know what slot she will be in. Thank, and what a mess is the Today Show!

September 12 2007 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara Tardanico

Having been on vacation without television I was not aware of Campbell's leaving. For several weeks since I got back, I noticed her absence. I searched Google for her whereabouts and found out she went to CNN. She was the reason why I turned on NBC on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Her replacement is charming but I still miss Campbell.

September 09 2007 at 10:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Regina

I agree with others that something is missing from the weekend today since Campbell has left. Now that I know she will no longer be there I will probably only watch to see Ann and Lester. They are all very personable. I also agree that Meredith is not a good fit.
I have tried to adjust but the chemistry is just not there. She is just blaaaaa. I record the show and fast forward thru Meredith and Amy.

September 08 2007 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lavada

I'm late because of recently working on weekends mornings, but I just realized that Campbell is not on the Today show anymore. This saddens me. I really liked watching her on NBC. She does a great job! I would have rather seen her get the morning spot of the Today show instead of Meredith V.
Good luck Campbell on CNN, I will follow you to your new show.

September 08 2007 at 9:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cindy Waters Loquidis

Dear Campbell, I wish you all the best. I enjoyed your reports on the Today show. They could send you anywhere. You are a natural beauty and a pony tail and ball cap were just fine. We got the point. No fluff--just important news. NBC is again a loser. They should never have crammed Alexis Glick down our throats. We all knew Katie's time was up when they did that. Then we get a woman who is trying to upstage the cast she has been invited to join not rule. So I am so sorry for Matt and Al and Anne and Natalie...it seems there is a long line of people who have been mistreated. I am sorry you were one of them. You will have a new start and a wonderful family..you will go far. I have been tuning in CNN anyway or watching after Meredith leaves for the day. But I will be watching your program regularly. Thank you for the time we had watching you on Today. Best wishes...Cindy Loquidis

September 06 2007 at 6:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry

What a great opportunity for Campbell. I miss seeing you on the weekends. Weekend Today does not have the same chemistry. Your interaction with Lester was refreshing and genuine.

Best wishes as you taken on a new adventure.

September 04 2007 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rhonda

I'm so sorry to hear that Campbell is gone. There is never even any mention of her. I have watched NBC, the Today show for the past 20 years, but have now switched to any other morning show but NBC. Meredith Viera is awful, she doesn't seem at all comfortable with her job. i can't believe NBC hired her over all the other applicants. Whose idea was that??

September 02 2007 at 8:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply