September 2, 2014

Do the pregnancy problems of Studio 60's Danny and Jordan have an ER connection?

by Richard Keller, posted Jun 18th 2007 9:31AM

Bradley Whitford from ER's Love's Labor Lost episodeEither the following is an extraordinary coincidence, a homage to another NBC drama, or another plot rip-off by Aaron Sorkin. One of the storylines that is running through the remaining episodes of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is the problem pregnancy of Danny Tripp's (Bradley Whitford) new fiance Jordan McDeere. When we last left Danny, he had learned that she was facing placenta accreta as well as disseminated intravascular coagulation (please don't ask me to explain what they are). And, while the doctor said not to worry there was quite a bit of concern.

Maybe that's because of what happened to Danny in his previous incarnation as Sean O'Brien while in the emergency room of County General Hospital. Yes, it seems that this whole pregnancy nightmare scenario is very similar to one Whitford was in during the first season of ER. In the episode entitled 'Love's Labor Lost' (which one several Emmys) Sean and his wife, Jodi, go to the emergency room because of her stomach pains. Dr. Mark Greene chalks it up to a bladder infection and lets the couple go.

The couple return moments later as Jodi collapses then goes into seizures. From that point on a series of blunders take place in the ER, most courtesy of Dr. Greene, that makes a simple induction turn gravely serious. Turns out Jodi experiences many of the same conditions Jordan has encountered on Studio 60. The results for Jodi, however, were not as rosy as Jordan's seem to be. At the end of the episode Jodi dies, leaving Sean a single father.

Now, the overview for this week's episode of Studio 60 doesn't really tell us the fate of Jordan. As she is a major cast member my guess is that everything turns out okay. Then again, since the show has been canceled, Sorkin may give all of us a big 'Screw You', take a page from ER, and have a Bradley Whitford character become a single father for the second time on NBC. We'll find out on Thursday.

[Thanks for commenter Rodney for pointing this out]

Annie

Thanks for the ER connection... I didn't know! Still going to miss the show. :(

June 22 2007 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabella

Mr. Whitford is a great actor and I have always enjoyed his performances. Very impressed by his "Danny" so different from his Josh Lyman character. I am so sorry to see this show go, and I hope Jordan doesn't die. I like her too.

June 19 2007 at 8:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
segsig

I'm sure the stories been told more times that hasn't involved Mr. Whitford than it has...maybe he has just been acting too long. He should have stopped when horror of horrors he repeated playing Chief of Staff to the Pres. first in "My Fellow Americans" and then at the end of "West Wing" or how many times has that guy played a lawyer?

June 18 2007 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike m

ehem..."which one several Emmys" one several? you don't mean "won several"?

June 18 2007 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WhizGidget

*sits down next to Vince* I like Studio 60 and I wish NBC would give it more of a chance...

June 18 2007 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vince

Well, since all stories have been told before I guess no one should ever tell them again. This TV show gets more than its fair share of criticism. Too bad, its actually entertaining for some of us and never got a fair shake.

Given time I am sure it would have been moderately sucsessful given all the talent assembled.

June 18 2007 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Who cares? The show is ending and the whole baby storyline was made up at the last second.

June 18 2007 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Curt

Um, except he won't become a single dad. Like they said on the show, engaged won't mean shit if she dies birthing another mans baby.

June 18 2007 at 10:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply