September 22, 2014

Robot Chicken: Star Wars Special

by Richard Keller, posted Jun 18th 2007 11:23PM

Emperor Palpatine from the Robot Chicken Star Wars Special

Before action figures became collectibles that should never, ever be removed from their little plastic bubble packaging boys and girls actually played with them. Sometimes, the adventures that these little characters had were not what they were intended for. In fact, I'm sure that some of these action figures did things that would make a grown man blush.

I'm guessing that Seth Green and Matt Senreich were not too gentle with their action figures. That's a good thing, though, because they were able to take the ideas that they had and put them on television in the form of Robot Chicken, one of the more popular shows on Adult Swim. Then, they did something magical. They took their love of everything Star Wars, combined it with the goings-on at Robot Chicken, got the blessing of George Lucas, and produced a special for the Star Wars hater and lover in all of us.

Boy, what a good job they did! You could tell that this was a labor of love for Green, Senreich, and everyone else who participated in the special. Not only was it a homage to the historic movie serial, but it was also a thanks to the fans who have supported Robot Chicken since it premiered back in 2005.

While most of the scenes featured the characters from the classic trio of movies, there were references to the not-so-classic group of new Star Wars movies as well. I won't go through all of the scenes of the special, because I'm sure you recorded it or watched it every hour it was on Sunday. So, I'll just highlight some of my favorite ones for you, then you can tell me what your favorites were.

Introduction: I had a feeling that they would give this episode of the show a Star Wars intro, and I wasn't disappointed.

Palpatine gets the bad news: 'It wasn't even paid for yet! Do you know what this is going to do to my credit?' Seth MacFarlane as Emperor Palpatine was superb voice casting. It made him sound like a combination of Quagmire and Stewie Griffin.

Your Mama Smackdown: Another good segment with Palpatine and Luke (voiced by Mark Hamill) in a 'Your Mama' contest. Luke's Mama thought a light saber had less calories? I thought it was funny.

Luke and Leia in bed: 'This is so wrong.'

Galactic Empire Orientation: So, Darth Vader didn't really choke anyone; the soldiers just did it to massage his ego. The best part of this was that the Private who had been choked 30-someodd times appeared with Darth in another scene, which was . . .

Darth Vader and JarJar: The least liked character in the Star Wars universe, JarJar makes an appearance on Darth's Star Destroyer. He jumps around, pulls off Darth's helmet, and eventually gets shot out of the airlock. Unfortunately, he turns out to be a Jedi, it seems, and his spirit comes back to be with Darth. He's even annoying in stop-motion animation.

Bad Day: This was probably my favorite scene. All the guy wants to do is work hard to get a promotion. But, his friend talks him into going to the bar, where his arm gets cut off by Obi Wan's lightsaber. What I liked the most about this scene is the way that the Robot Chicken crew reproduced the bar scene from the first Star Wars film.

Finally . . .

George Lucas in the elevator: Nerd: 'And that was the greatest day of my life.'; Nerd Son: 'What about when I was born'; Nerd: 'Not even close.'

That's it for me. Now it's your turn.

De

If you think its not hard to come up wiht Star Wars jokes then you come up with a bunch of them tough guy!!! Lampbane
Heck i think the whole show was great and funny, and i barely watch Robot Chicken.
I think the "Bobafett with Hon Solo" scene was funny.
Bobafett "Your hands are like their are begging for it"
"Oh no blasters o oo too slow"
And the JarJar binks with annie is funny. I almost died from laughing. He is so anoying and funny, and the part when JarJar pulled out annie's helmet and poking it!! and he got freakout after he saw annie's face. "Me Sa what the happened to you little annie" That is just funny.
And the last part when he dance for joy that he can stay with "Little annie" forever and anoy him to death!!

June 25 2007 at 7:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

I'm nowhere near the biggest Star Wars fan (I saw the movies once, that's about it), and, although I enjoy the show, I don't watch too much Robot Chicken since I usually just don't stay up that late. I was looking forward to this though, and really enjoyed it. Loved Chewbacca chaneling Fonzie, the Cloud City weather report, the Yo Momma fight, Palpatine on the phone, the hyperactive ghost of JarJar, Death Star Orientation Day, and the running gag about the janitor. I need to watch this show more often!

June 19 2007 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lampbane

The amount of recycled material just kind of ruined it for me, especially when the old stuff was better than the new skits they prepared.

It's not hard to come up with jokes about Star Wars. Heck, they pretty much ignored the prequel trilogy, which still has lots of untold jokes.

I don't know... it's just that after all that hype, we should have gotten something better.

June 19 2007 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DeJuan

Since I sporadically watch Robot Chicken, the whole episode was fresh for me. I loved the janitor guy and the choking class. I also thought the light saber falling through the floors was pretty funny.

June 19 2007 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Maybe so, Fabrice; maybe so. But then I'm proud to be a nerd!

June 19 2007 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fabrice

ok. Is that the same show we are talking about ?
I stopped half way and watched a rerun of South Park. Sorry, dudes, this ones for nerds only.

June 19 2007 at 11:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chet

The recurring corpse-sweep bits just slayed me.

And I don't care if it's a recycled bit, I'll never get tired of "what the hell is an aluminum falcon?"

June 19 2007 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

I did not have any problem with the reused material (except for the Dubya one, that one is crap) All of the new stuff ranged from acceptable to awesome. The other perspective of Mos Eisley and the Cantina was great.

The "lite" saber yo mama was funny but not as good as
"Yo Mama so dumb she spent all day saying 'Am Not' to 'R2!'"
and
"Yo Mama so dumb, she went to Bankok to get a Tie-Fighter"

June 19 2007 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj

Admiral Ackbar Cereal!!

Also a reuse... but it was hysterical. It did seem like there were quite a few reused segments. Still all good... but it would've been nice if it had been all new.

--mj

June 19 2007 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beanspants1

i also loved the retread of the "if you're not gonna take this seriously, then i'm out" skit.

it captured the total tack-on job and huge plot holes not even addressed, and does it with applomb. even if the whole rest had sucked (like 30 minutes of star wars on ice) that skit would have made the whole thing worthwhile.

June 19 2007 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply