September 2, 2014

My top five TV guilty pleasures

by Paul Goebel, posted Jun 19th 2007 9:36AM

After you have spent as many hours watching TV as I have, you grow immune to the out of date idea that television rots your brain or that it's the opiate of the masses or any of the other nonsense that has been spouted throughout the years. However, even though I love television and make no excuses for that love, there are a few shows that I am almost ashamed to say that I love. Here are the top five shows that I can't get enough of.

1. Big Brother
I look forward to this show every summer. Ever since season two, when Dr. Will showed that it's possible to be the biggest prick in the house and still win, I am always amazed by BB.

2. Melrose Place
I've mentioned this show before. Watching the goings on at the apartment complex made legendary by Amanda, Billy, Alison, Jake and the rest was something I did alone. It wasn't until after the show was off the air that I even admitted to watching. In retrospect, I regret not embracing the greatness of MP while it was on.

3. Hells' Kitchen
I am not a fan of cooking shows, but I love people who yell. Watching Chef Ramsey drive people to tears is the highlight of my summer.

4. Spongebob Squarepants
I know I'm not the only adult who watched this show but sometimes after they've gone to bed, I browse through my TiVo and giggle like a little girl.

5. The Partridge Family
David Cassidy has been my biggest boy crush since I was in college. Long ago, I stopped trying to defend the Partridges and just accepted that no one can appreciate them the way that I can.

Mel

Mine is The Lone Gunmen, the X-Files spinoff. I got the DVDs for my birthday last year. The plots aren't that great, and the humor can be kind of dumb sometimes, but the characters of The Lone Gunmen are just so adorable. They're like puppies that can hack computers.

June 19 2007 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stu

For me, it's My Super Sweet 16. I love and hate that show.

June 19 2007 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rebecca

Paul, will you marry me?!?

June 19 2007 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

Why isn't anyone reviewing Hell's Kitchen anymore?

June 19 2007 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Elias

BB's Dr. Will is one of my favorite reality people. He's such a bright and interesting guy. He was great on his first season and great again on the All-Stars edition.

I always had a soft spot for the Partridge Family. Got to say it even ended at the right time.

June 19 2007 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jccalhoun

I loved the first season of the US Big Brother. Since then they've made it much more Survivor-like with back-stabbing and competitiveness. I liked Big Brother because it didn't have those things!

I'm watching lots of Canadian and British television shows that you can't get on US tv.

June 19 2007 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Divorce Court, though I usually turn the TV off in disgust before the verdict comes in.

June 19 2007 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

Ninja warrior is a guilty pleasure? Screw that! I show Ninja Warrior to everyone that comes to my house!

June 19 2007 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Whoosh

all those courtroom shows with a quirky judge must be somebody's guilty pleasure because there are at least 15 of them on now.

June 19 2007 at 10:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elliott

Sometimes I'm extremely hungover and I look to my favorite guilty pleasure for some comfort: MTV's Sweet Sixteen. Some days it's as if the execs know the condition I'm in and decide to air a marathon of episodes.

Yikes, I can't believe I just admitted that.

June 19 2007 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply