August 29, 2014

The Dead Zone: Heritage (season premiere)

by Jen Creer, posted Jun 20th 2007 1:21PM
Bannerman(S06E01) I love the name of this episode: Heritage. With the shocking death of Walt Bannerman (the always great Chris Bruno) (I didn't see it coming, but my 13 year old son says he did), we have not only Reverend Purdy's Heritage foundation (where Bannerman died), but also the heritage he leaves to Johnny, and his son J.J. One of the primary questions that has endured for five seasons can now be explored: If Walt were not there, would Johnny and Sarah get together? Are they fated to be together? (If the previews for next week are any indication, the answer would be, "Not just yet.")

I worry because Greg Stillson has persistently pursued Sarah too. I am not convinced that she sees him for the villain that we (the audience) and Johnny know him to be. Though, Stillson did tell Johnny this episode that he isn't as bad as Johnny thinks he is...

Having seen Stillson's murderous past, I don't think anything will convince us of that. However, it will be interesting to see if the show tries to sugarcoat Vice President Stillson, particularly with his evil advisor Malcolm Janus dead.

I wondered during this episode if perhaps David Ogden Stiers was leaving the show, because at one point, Johnny's visions led him to believe that Purdy was dead. However, Johnny, even realizing that anything he does to try to change one vision can lead to bad things, warned Walt that now Purdy (rather than Walt) was dead in the vision, and that warning ultimately led to Walt's demise. Or, at least Johnny thinks so.

When Walt got the contents of the envelope from the older woman, he opened it and remarked that John Smith was in for a big surprise. I was wondering what that could be about (I mean, could anything really shock Johnny at this point?), and then I realized what it must be: Look again at the name of the episode. Heritage. I bet we are going to find out that John Smith (and his oh, so laughably generic name) is actually something like John Purcell. Or maybe even John Stillson... wouldn't that be great? Can't you just see it? Johnny's mother lets the Bible salesman in, has an affair, has a child-- and boom! Johnny and Greg are brothers.

This is sheer speculation on my part, but wouldn't that be sort of delicious?

I am pretty sure Nicole de Boer (Sarah) is pregnant in real life (or has just had a child): Her face has the slight puffiness you see in pregnant women that actresses simply can't reproduce with a prosthetic uterus. So, it could be that she and J.J. will disappear for awhile to deal with their grief over Walt's death. I don't know, but it seems plausible.

I was frustrated last season because the episodes seemed to have lost their focus: Johnny's prevention of the apocalypse. They seem to be on track, and as sad as Walt's death is, it certainly provides some great material for the coming season!

Do you think Johnny and Sarah belong together?
No44 (17.3%)
Yes94 (37.0%)
Yes, but not right now.116 (45.7%)

VFR

I do not think Walt is really dead. I can't explain why, but it is just a feeling I have. Walt is probably the only person on the show that could fool Johnny in one of his visions. He needed Johnny for everyone to believe he was really dead. Did they actually show Walt in the casket at his real funeral? Did we see that? I don't recall. I don't know how he did it, but I think Walt is maybe deep undercover or something. Why else would they keep up the storyline of investigating him? What is the point? They want to keep Walt in the show's storyline somehow. I don't know. Maybe, I'm over thinking it, but I can't wait to find out.

July 21 2007 at 1:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MelindaSky

Oh, please, not Johnny and Sarah together again. Been there, done that.

When I read the results of the poll -- so MANY want J&S back together -- I couldn't believe it. When Sarah agreed to live in his house, my reaction was, "Get away from him, you b*tch!" (Aliens)

Johnny will support Sarah as she bears someone else's child. Please, we've been there, done that with Walt. If anyone deserved to see the birth of his child, it was Walt Bannerman. He should not have died on the show.

I'm glad the Armegeddon plot was wrapped so quickly (after dragging it out for five seasons!) but killing Walt was the wrong wrong WRONG decision to make. < sigh >

July 01 2007 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
l wirth

I should add that in the books it was george bannerman, but I thought that walt was based on this character, am I wrong? I do not like that they so majorly changed this story!!

June 26 2007 at 9:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
l wirth

I'm a huge Stephen King fan, and have always loved the dead zone, unless I'm going crazy, I thought walt bannerman was in other king novels and died when he was an old man?!!

June 25 2007 at 10:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
esp

I liked Walt! The Walt/Johnny combo was great male bonding and great eye candy for the girls. I thought it opened up a lot of possible story lines where the police were needed and Johnny's talents solved un solveable cases. The W/J combo seemed to give structure but leeway. I liked Walt. Did he want to leave. I really hated to see him go.

June 25 2007 at 3:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
esp

I have to agree with Georgie (June 24, 2997). I, too, am tired of the apocalypse line. I saw the movie and that whole thing was brought to a conclusion. A TV show carn rarely be an exact re-creation of a movie. There just isn't enough diversity or enough storylines for the kind of hit Dead Zone has been. New people, new directions, and new storylines. Move on from the movie.
I'm one of those that want's the good guy to be good and the bad guy to be bad and the bad guy to get his - not continue to profit from his badness. (If I wanted that, Id just watch politicians lying, cheating, and profiting. sheesh. I want them to wrap it up each week and Then start all over next week.

June 25 2007 at 3:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
georgie

I am sorry, but I have to disagree with the majority of the voices here. I thought the apocalypse story line was the most ridiculous line I have seen in some time - it is overused. I am glad it is over, and I hope it does NOT resurface!

June 24 2007 at 11:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

Hey Rob. The show aired a week ago. No spoilers in the title. Saying that they spoiled it for you is like saying your parents spoiled Christmas because YOU unwrapped your present early.

June 23 2007 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rsqdoc

Those people that recall the Dead Zone movie (I didn't read the novel) can speculate on a different ending involving Johnny, Sarah and Tillson.Tillson does seem to be stalking her.
Also if JJ isn't Johnny's,and if Sarah thought this might be a possibility,don't you think by now she might have had a paternity test done ? (no, I didn't think so,either).
John and Stillson as brothers would be interesting altho at first, I thought it would be that John was Purdy's son (no longer do;who cares if that were true?)
I was stunned that they killed off Walt and I don't think it's so they Johnny and Sarah can get back together. I think those two have made their peace with what has happened between them. I also hope there is no romance with the new sheriff. If anything,there might be a lot of friction until she understands and trusts Johnny like Walt did.RIP Walt.

June 21 2007 at 7:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jg

Is it a coincidence that the Colby on Numbers (Dylan Bruno, Chris Bruno's brother) had a similar "you'll never see it coming" role in their season ender? What are the Bruno brothers up to.....

June 21 2007 at 6:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply