September 17, 2014

A man to replace Rosie on The View?

by Annie Wu, posted Jun 21st 2007 2:23PM
Ross and RosieRumors continue to fly as more and more people speculate who will take over Rosie O'Donnell's spot on The View. I haven't paid much attention to the ever-expanding list, but the two most recent names managed to catch my eye: Mario Cantone from Sex and the City and Ross "the Intern" Mathews from, most recently, Celebrity Fit Club. The View has always been about showcasing varying women's points of view, so how do Cantone and Mathews fit in there? Are they possible candidates just because they're gay men? Come on.

I'm not a big fan of Cantone, because he's a little too loud and obnoxious for my liking. However, the group might be looking for someone a little edgier to push everyone's buttons and make Elisabeth's blonde head explode in fury. Then again, I adore Ross' sweetheart charm, but I can't really see himself holding his own once discussions get too heated. Well, we'll get to see how everyone gets along when Cantone and Mathews do their guest spots on July 12 and July 17, respectively.

One of my friends suggested bringing back drunk Danny DeVito. He totally gets my vote. I think he'd bring a lot of class to the place. He'd sit there and, like, Elisabeth would say something and then Joy would be all like, "Nuh-uh" and then DeVito would sit there and then Elisabeth would be like, "Oh, my word, Danny. You're right. I shouldn't have lashed out like that. You're so wise" and then Joy would be like, "Wow, yeah" and DeVito would sit there and Barbara would go "I'm Bawbawa Waltehs" and -- and -- yeah.

Jon

Ross seems like a wonderful nice guy. Honest, sweet, and gets my vote out of the two guys mentioned. I have only watched him one time on Rosie's blog but I liked what I saw.

June 22 2007 at 8:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

I vote for Kathy Griffin!!

June 22 2007 at 3:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bri

I would love Ross, I thought that last time he was a guest they should pick him as a host. He is funny and loveable. He's way funnier then Joy!

June 22 2007 at 12:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Josh

Well said David. I hate that they automatically equate a gay man to a woman. Obviously those two are, but they and most other TV shows make it seem like every gay man is the same, which just isn't the case.

The View may as well hire one of the female comedians they've talked about. Wanda Sykes, Kathy Griffin, Whoopi, they'd be fine replacements.

June 21 2007 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

I think Ross Mathews would be an asset to the View. He is very smart and very real. And I do think he could hold his own against the ladies! GO ROSS!

June 21 2007 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ESK

Either of these guys would probably offer a lot more of a female world view that O'Donnell.

June 21 2007 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dee

I watch this show for women's views...a gay man is not a woman. This isn't a clever twist if it happens...it's just plain stupid.

June 21 2007 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KMF

Yeah gimme a break if they're trolling for gay guys to replace the gals for the heck of it. It seems like they view think a gay man might be a 'safe' alternative, you know dish about shoes, clothes, and celebs. Puleeeze!It feels so token. And like poster 1# David said tv always runs for the stereotypical sort. I've been friends with many gay men and not a single one was like what you see on tv!

If they really want a VIEW add a straight guy and a gay guy inot the mix with the gals, see how that goes for ratings!

June 21 2007 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

I know he's a bit over the top, but I LOVE Mario Cantone. Whenever he's on The View doing his "reviews" of awards shows, he leaves my mother and me in stitches. I don't know about him being a co-host though. He might be a little too quirky to fit in at the "View" table.

June 21 2007 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Porchland

Meh. I vote for Kathy Griffin.

June 21 2007 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply