December 19, 2014

Isaiah Washington says T.R. Knight should've been fired

by Anna Johns, posted Jun 21st 2007 3:25PM
isaiah washingtonAt this point, it just feels like we're watching Isaiah Washington self-destruct. Since being fired from Grey's Anatomy, he has said some pretty stupid stuff. But this one takes the cake.

Washington gave an interview to the Houston Chronicle, his hometown newspaper, where he says that actor T.R. Knight is the one who should have been fired from Grey's Anatomy. Sure, Washington is the one who practically got into a fistfight on set with co-star Patrick Dempsey after Washington used a derogatory gay slur referring to Knight. But, Washington says, Knight went on to have the nerve to be offended by it and ended up creating a negative work environment.

Plus, Washington alleges, Knight was just angling for a raise. Washington says that Knight is lying about even hearing the comment because, he says, "I used the word during a disagreement with Patrick. I apologized for that. We shook hands and went back to work."

And, once again, he blamed the media when he used the same gay slur in front of reporters at the Golden Globes. He says it was "taken out of context". How is that possible, exactly? He said the word... again... into a microphone... with a room full of reporters. Video is here.

While everything I've heard and read sounds like Washington is the bad guy, he does make a good point about defending his own honor. He said that he kept quiet like ABC asked and he still got fired and only now does he have the opportunity to try and clear his name. And, hey, we probably don't know the entire story.

At this point, I am not sure anyone is going to believe Isaiah Washington. It doesn't matter anymore if the incident has been blown out of proportion. It's really time for him to stop trying to clear his name, shut the hell up, and appreciate that he's even working right now. So far, he doesn't seem to be doing himself any favors.

gabrielle

So, here we are in September... and not a peep from IW since June!

Well, no peeps, but I think maybe he sneaked in some written thoughts in this forum back in July: posts #34 - 40. Sure, there were different names attached, but the syntax, the name-calling, the skewed logic -- it all fits!

To his credit, however, immediately following that multiple-post slip-up, he made the right move:

He fired his new publicists in order to hire TomB (comment #28) before it was too late!

September 09 2007 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jazzie

Why no review on the brilliant performance of Isaiah Washington on the Larry King Live Show? This is the one and only time we have heard the real story, yet you do not report on it...strange!

July 05 2007 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

When it comes right down to it, Isaiah Washington is a great actor. I'd go see anything he is in. Plus he is gorgous to look at! Disney/abc are unforgiveable idiots for firing him. God bless Isaiah, I know it's hurtful right now and the hurt is mostly that people you thought cared about you kick you to the curb. Hang in there and stay strong. You have a lot of people that support you and can't wait to see you act again soon.

July 03 2007 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

Hmmmmm, lets see. . . A man that likes other men, hmmmm ??? what do you call that??? Oh, yeah! A faggot! A queer, fairy! Ya know if the shoe fits! Give me a break! How could T.R., be so offended by being called a faggot? He is one! Can he deny it? Yes, maybe he would have preferred to be called a lover of men, but what Isaiah Washington called him was not a lie, maybe rude, but did not deserve being fired over! Especially when he apologized. No body's perfect!

July 03 2007 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

What has happened to freedom of speech? This is the Land of the Free! Isaiah Washington is an actor and does his job well. What he says or his personal opinions are his business. I think it is terrible of Disney/abc to have fired him over his choice of words. He made the show and I for one will miss him greatly! Not sure if I will continue to watch now that he is gone. What is Disney/abc trying to prove. They should take him back and be a model of forgiveness!

July 03 2007 at 7:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Juanita

As black people will will never get a fair chance.

July 03 2007 at 1:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Juanita

I never watch Grey's because I never like that the black man had to be with a Asian women. Why couldn't he be with a sista. Some things will never change. I think Isaiah got a raw deal. He did everything the executives asked him to do and they still fired him. If I was Isaiah, I tell them to kiss my black as*. White folks always do black people wrong. Isaiah apologies several times. He did not beat anyone up or stalk anyone. Everyone is saying poor T. R. Knight. What a wimp? He is gay. I am sure he has heard name worst that "faggot". I am sure T. R. has called other people bad names too. No one is perfect. What a big baby? I like Isaiah. I always though he was a very talented actor. It's too bad. I wish him good luck in his career. Stay Black and proud.

July 03 2007 at 1:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Juanita

I was never a Grey's fan and I will never be after they fired Isaiah. I believe his story. I heard a different story what T. R. and print media wrote about. I know how it is working with white folks. They will lie on you in heart beat. They will not feel guilty about it. I think if T. R. Knight had a problem with Isaiah. He should have talked to Isaiah man to man. He is a faggot and a wimp. I have always admired and like Isaiah before he was cast on Grey's. He has been is numerous movies. I don't think he should have been fired. Some things never change. White folks if they want to get you fired. Blacks people are always last hired and first fired. They (white folks) will find one way or another to get even to back at you. I wish Isaiah well. I think he is a talented and very attractive. I will support his future films. Isaiah forgot he was working for THE MAN and in Hollyweird. It is full of whites, gays, and lesbians.

July 03 2007 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

I hope he has a voice recognition system or someone reading him these posts while he is at home coloring. He is clearly too stupid to read and understand them without assistance.

June 30 2007 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply