October 25, 2014

Jerry Seinfeld gets heat for edgy joke

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 22nd 2007 1:24PM

Jerry SeinfeldQuestion: is it OK to joke about rape when you're talking about insects?

That's what some people are wondering this afternoon as Jerry Seinfeld is getting a little heat from anti-rape groups (hmmm...I would hope that every group is anti-rape, but I digress...) for a remark he made to the New York Daily News promoting his Bee Movie flick:

"Bees have the only perfect society on earth ... They have no crime, they have no drugs, they have no rape. A little rape, but it's not that bad."

Radar is reporting that the National Sexual Violence Resource Center, Students Active For Ending Rape, and The Rape Abuse and Incest Network are all calling Seinfeld's joke offensive and shocking. But I wonder, don't people understand that just because a comic jokes about something doesn't mean he endorses what he is joking about? Or are there some things you just can't joke about?

Maybe he should call Michael Richards for advice...

Update: Seinfeld has apologized: "I don't find anything funny about rape. I was only referring to the insect world. I'm sorry if anyone got upset."

lorilei13

Bees. People. Yeah, same thing. I'm sooooo offended.

June 23 2007 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BobbyBuz

QUOTE: "21. I am waiting for Al Sharpton to weigh in before I decide on whether to be offended about this. He speaks for all of us, now doesn't he?"

He'll only weigh in if the (alleged) bee-rape was perpetrated against an African American bee. (lol)

June 23 2007 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jmalcolm

June 23 2007 at 8:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

Here, I always thought there was a LOT of rape going on in the bee world. My whole world is turned upside-down now that I'm told it's only a little, and it's "not that bad". I had been using my cell phone basically 24/7 just to more quickly exterminate the bee population with as many microwaves as I could muster up, but that was before I knew the truth. I'll have to re-think things now that I know they're not ALL evil, insipid creatures.

June 23 2007 at 6:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

This makes me want to give that group money. I now know they will do everything in their power to prevent insect rape.

June 22 2007 at 8:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patrick R

I laughed out loud when I read that.

"Maybe he should call Mr. Richards for advice..."

I think people have already discussed that issue to death, but to reiterate... Seinfeld was obviously telling a joke, and a successful one at that. Richards? Not so much.

June 22 2007 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BartmanDK

As omar says, this group was just looking for a photo-op!

June 22 2007 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay

I know THIS will be controversial but
I don't care if bee's rape one another
or not.

June 22 2007 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chaim

Ya know, I dont even get the problem. He didnt say HUMAN rape was "not so bad" he said insect rape. Are we really worried if one bee rapes another bee???? Don't we have enough things to get worked about without trying to defend the victims of Bee rape???? Holy moly, people need to get a life and learn to laugh.

June 22 2007 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
coffee

The comedians who make a living out of 'edgy' (mencia, chapelle) never get a second glance for anything they say, but a relatively clean comedian gets noticed for an extremely mild 'edgy' joke.

Offensive and shocking? go suck a .... nevermind. It's just a joke, they wouldn't understand.

//there's only one queen in the bee colony. all the workers must be gay, or she's a slut.

June 22 2007 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply