November 26, 2014

John from Cincinnati: His Visit: Day Two Continued

by Julia Ward, posted Jun 25th 2007 12:40AM
John from Cincinnati THREE

(S01E03)
Let that be a lesson to you, young padawans. If you're going to get pierced downtown or any other place the sun don't shine outside of Saint-Tropez, it could come back to haunt you given any major religious experiences... or bonings.

I'm bestowing this episode with the alternate title "Burning Sensation." Everything came to a head in a massive montage of sizzle - Kai's piercings, Butchie's implants, Vietnam Joe's shrapnel, Ramon's pea soup spillage and Palaka's hand.

I love this kind of stuff. I spent a couple of years following around religious pilgrims to earn a fancy pants anthropology degree. I read a ridiculous number of books about people's religious experiences and theories of existential connection and liminality. Since this is a TV blog, I'll spare you the better part of my navel gazing, but there's something kind of beautiful about all this oneness at the margins. But, is there anything more beautiful than Dayton Callie?

I have a few ideas for some John from Cincinnati spin-offs. First up, there's the Ramon, Lawyer Dickstein and Barry show. They make a hilariously motley crew. Luis Guzman's delivery of the line "I'm half deaf from the leaf blower" alone would have made this episode worthwhile.

But, the show I really want to see is the Steady Freddie show. He'd just sit in his car listening to Sarah Brightman and commenting on whatever was going on outside. His sidekick Palaka would come by with coffee every once in awhile. I hope these guys are going to be series regulars. They're damn funny. Freddy even got the night's best line, "Retired cops don't get my name, what time it is or pissed on if they go up in flames." And, yet, he's so compassionate. I heart Freddy. I just don't want him to break my hand.

As for the other performers, the jury is no longer out on De Mornay for me. Chica needs to take it down a notch. I know it's a tough role. She's got to be the worry warrior - the bitch from hell who's been hardened by pulling everyone back from the precipice over and over and over again. I appreciate the character, but De Mornay's shrillness is unbearable.

The weakest component of this show, aside from De Mornay's histrionics, is Mitch and Cissy's failing marriage. I really don't care about this relationship and that's a problem seeing as the Yosts are at the center of the show. This universe literally revolves around them. Every other character on this show is either trying to protect them or exploit them. Why? Because they were good surfers once? Closer to God? It would be more convincing if they were at all tolerable as human beings.

Shaunie is the exception, of course. He's the innocent, the real thing. And, now, he's a walking, talking, halfpipe-skating miracle. The last image of Shaun skating with that amazing song (anyone know it offhand?), the flashbulb and John's "See God" incantation was especially well done. This show has had some amazing set pieces in its first three weeks. The Sarah Brightman-accompanied escape from the hospital, Shaun on the half-pipe, episode one's freak-out in the Snug Harbor parking lot. I know this show has proven to be a weird and disconcerting little adventure, but I feel like it came together in a satisfying way this week. I'm in.

As for next week, it looks like everyone's starting to connect the miraculous dots. I'm glad someone finally acknowledged that John has magic pants. I've gotta find out who is tailor is.

Who would you like to see LESS of this season?
Cissy89 (40.6%)
Kai16 (7.3%)
Butchie4 (1.8%)
Linc23 (10.5%)
Cass23 (10.5%)
Shaun31 (14.2%)
Barry14 (6.4%)
Vietnam Joe19 (8.7%)

Steve Hammons

An article that makes reference to "John from Cincinnati" may be of interest:

“Developments in science, human consciousness hold promise of new discoveries, better world”

American Chronicle
June 28, 2007

June 29 2007 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wdc

I've read a number of comments on various boards complaining about Greyson Fletcher's (Shaun) acting: he's too wooden, emotionless, etc. This may be true, but on the other hand, he might be giving a great acting performance. The way he's portraying his character may be exactly the way Milch wants him to. I think Shaun's emotionless personality may be caused by the family that surrounds him, who are intensely emotional people.

I dunno, just a theory. I think we really need to give this great new show a few more episodes to see where the characters really shake out.

p.s. Ramone is quickly becoming my favorite character. His one liners are classic. "I'm half deaf from the leaf blower." lol

June 25 2007 at 9:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarcastig

Nothing impressive about being a student. I'm still learning, and trust me, it's because I know how difficult it is and how likely I am to fail that I am amused by people who so easily draw complicated things into a domain where they are not at all applicable.

June 25 2007 at 6:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gobeyond

Anybody know what kinda shoes those were that Mitch was wearin on last nights (3rd) episode? Thx.

June 25 2007 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

Michael Buble has a great version of "Feeling Good," though I love this version too.

June 25 2007 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
michael

good point #7. i'm MUCH more impressed with the fact that you're a physics student.

June 25 2007 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

is it just me or can shaun not act his way out of a paper bag? I love the show, but some of the acting is bad and some is great. The supporting characters really make this show. I'm not sure how long that can last, but right now it works.

June 25 2007 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarcastig

As a physics student, I just had to laugh about comment #5. Metaphysical mumbo jumbo is good and well, and I'm sure it was part of the inspiration for this fascinating show, but it's better to have at least a little background knowledge before you try impressing people with big words like non-locality.

June 25 2007 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Connie

Ditto everything Julia said. Especially about Rebecca DeMornay. I can't handle her. She needs to dial it down about 500 notches! Most of the rest of the cast I love- particularly the guy that plays Butchie. He's doing a really great job portraying a junkie who "should be dope sick" but isn't... The kid playing Shaun is a little stiff with his lines- but I understand he's a rookie. Ed O'Neill is great. And I also concur with what you said about John- he can get annoying. But I think he has to be played that way so we get the full idea of who (or what) he is- and ISN'T. I'm enjoying the whole "surf" subculture- think it's being portrayed pretty well. Like the music, too. I like how the Dr. SEEMS TO actually be open to the idea that there are things that happen that can't be explained. I'm starting to get hooked...

June 25 2007 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve Hammons

"John from Cincinnati" seems to be delving into areas of the metaphysical that have to do with actual quantum physics. Concepts in "string theory" and other aspects of "non-locality" allege that many things are connected, sometimes in unexpected ways.

So, metal items heating up, as happened in the recent episode, makes some sense. Something is happening at the quantum level with the characters, something that connects them.

John is also demonstrating "anomalous cognition," a fancy term for consciousness somewhat related to ESP and "remote viewing" that has been researched by US military and intelligence personnel.

As far out as these things seem, there are strong indications that they are real. More on this in the articles:

"New HBO series 'John from Cincinnati' has metaphysical mysteries"

- - -

"Emerging discoveries in human consciousness may change many global activities"

June 25 2007 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply