October 31, 2014

Over half a million viewers have left NBC Nightly News

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 25th 2007 3:42PM

Brian WilliamsAll this talk about how Katie Couric is single-handedly destroying network news (supposedly) overlooks one fact: she's actually losing less viewers than Brian Williams over on NBC.

Couric lost 287,000 viewers over the first 39 weeks of her show compared to what the show did last year, and during that same time, Williams lost 533,000. He's now in second place behind ABC and Charles Gibson.

Of course, it doesn't mean that everyone who is leaving NBC or CBS is going over to ABC and Gibson. I think it's an indication of what's going on with network news in general (and NBC in particular).

Nina

She’s losing ‘less’ viewers because she didn’t have that many to begin with. With cable news and the Internet providing up to the minute info 24/7, WHY the hell would anybody watch evening news anyway – to keep them company while they read the cue cards?

June 28 2007 at 3:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

...which is what, Bob?

June 27 2007 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chester

Karen, thanks for clarification.
I should "have" noticed that myself, however you did get Bob's attention!

June 27 2007 at 8:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

Karen: If you want the nitty gritty of the story, click on the link. This is a blog, and we want you to follow the link.

But believe me: Williams' NBC bosses are more worried about him losing over half a million viewers than Couric's CBS bosses are worried about her losing 287,000. But you got "betes noires" into a post. Nice!

June 26 2007 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Bob, those absolute numbers don't mean much if you're not going to tell us what percentage of viewers each anchor lost. If Williams lost 533,000 of 30 million viewers, and Couric lost 287,000 of 10 million viewers, then she's still doing worse than he is.

Which is why they say there are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

And that "less viewers" hit my ears like nails on blackboard, too. The less/fewer issue is one of my personal betes noires. Oh, and Chester: you said "should not of been there" instead of "should not have been there," which is what Jim is referring to. An all too common recent consequence of the contraction "should've"....

June 26 2007 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vince

With this kind of commentary, TV squad will have less viewers.

June 26 2007 at 10:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Jam, what is wrong with having respect for our language?

June 26 2007 at 8:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jam

what the hell is wrong with you people?

June 26 2007 at 1:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Thanks for the clarification, Chester.

June 25 2007 at 10:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chester

Jim, I am confused with your #6 post.

My #5 post was a correction to my #4 post.
I was saying that "Sorry Porchland & Jim, but you have that backwards." should not of been there.

I don't know where I said " should of" as you state in your #6 post.

June 25 2007 at 9:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply