August 22, 2014

Shatner out, Nimoy in for Star Trek prequel

by Adam Finley, posted Jun 25th 2007 12:03PM

kirk and spockRumors are still abound as to who is playing whom in the upcoming Star Trek prequel from Lost and Alias creator JJ Abrams, but according to the NY Post, at least one man is out: William Shatner. Despite wanting a cameo role in the prequel, Shatner was not offered one. That's kind of a bummer, but what makes it even moreso, if the rumors are true (and it's the Post, so I'm skeptical), is that Leonard "Spock" Nimoy was offered a cameo role, instead.

Ostensibly, it seems unfair to give Nimoy a brief role and shut Shatner out completely, but having no idea the context of Nimoy's supposed cameo, it's tough to have an opinion about it one way or the other. Perhaps the cameo situation is such that it would only work with Nimoy and not Shatner --some kind of clever inside joke-- but I guess we won't know until the movie comes out.

[via Dark Horizons]

GH

I agree. Enterprise was IMO superior to most of the other Trek spin offs. Sure it was a silly science fiction show (almost all tv sci-fi is not to be taken to seriously ) but the best thing about it was that they finally abandoned the wooden acting and toned down the techno-babble dialog that infected TNG, a show I find unwatchable. I think Enterprise returned to the old spirit of the original show far better than any of the other Trek shows. - and i don't give a crap about cannon, as Shatner said many years ago on a famous sketch on SNL, "It's just a tv show!"

September 08 2007 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

Crambam

I know I am a bit late here, but I was just surfing and came across this topic. I do not mean to disparage your comments but I wish to defend one of my favorite shows...Enterprise. Firstly, when it comes to judging shows we all have to admit that you really cannot argue taste. While it is true that some of Enterprise could have been better, but on the whole I found it well written. I never understood the brickbats thrown on this remarkable show. We had two gorgeous babes in T'paul and Hoshi, an energetic captain, and gritty storylines. I, for one thought that Enterprise was superior to the original. As for observing canon, Enterprise did a fairly good job of filling in the important facts. Also, Enterprise resolved one of the most irritable explanation gaps in the franchise by explaining how the Klingons changed thier appearence. Again, all respect to you and those who are were disapointed in Enterprise. I was sorry to see it end after only four seasons. Oh, and for my two cents worth, killing Kirk in that movie was one of the worst mistakes in cinema history. Not only that he died...but HOW...he died.

August 05 2007 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Crambam

It's really not fair to judge all Trek prequels by Enterprise. Enterprise was written by terrible writers who didn't give a damn about the original series or continuity.

I don't think that's the case here. Unlike the writers of Enterprise, these guys actually have made something from scratch and have successful programming on their resume. There's at least some hope here.

Regarding the buzz a cameo would get, that would only work if they actually DID it.

In an era where Stallone is successfully returning to Rocky and Rambo, and Harrison Ford is returning as Indiana Jones, there is no reason that Shatner and Nimoy can't play older versions of Kirk and Spock.

June 26 2007 at 10:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frederick

No matter what the situation truly is regarding cameos, etc. it's generating a lot of buzz.

Maybe that's the point.

June 25 2007 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vince

As a child of the 50s I remember old scu fi shows that I hoped Enterprise would echo promising more adventure and some grittiness the original never had. Too bad they never found their "sea legs" as it were.

I loved the original Star Trek in the 60's, bad acting and cheap effects, it was still better than anything else on TV at the time.

Lets hope they re-invent it with some of the initial enthusiasm the old show had.

June 25 2007 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert Miller

There was already a prequel...Enterprise. They made the mistake of doing several time-travel episodes in the first season, ruining the whole idea of starting from scratch and getting through on their own merits. It also didn't help having the "original" Enterprise look better-built and more futuristic than the ships it was designed to predate. Any prequel will have to do what Superman Returns did, and simply ignore all previous failed strings in the Star Trek series, and reinvent itself. I don't know if this will work with Star Trek, though...Star Trek fans are rabid about unification, tying together all series into a single continuous timeline. I'd like to see what they come up with.

June 25 2007 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Crambam

Wow! An internet tough guy!

June 25 2007 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DBL

Oh, here come the Shatner whiners. Who cares who got the cameo? It's a damn cameo! I bet Shatner and Nimoy don't even really particularly care. Can anyone think that at this late stage either of these men is really taking this show seriously anymore? Maybe Shatner will get a cameo in the next one. Maybe it'll be Uhuru -- actually I hope it's Uhura, because Shatner somehow manages to get even hammier *every single year* -- even though this is like a black hole collapsing in on itself -- you would think there is nowhere left to go, but you would be wrong.

Anyway, if you are not going to see this 2-hr movie simply because Shatner did not get a 30-second part in it, then your mental deficiencies are probably pretty apparent for all to see, so I shouldn't be making your lives that much more difficult by pointing them out.

Good luck with the insane Kirk fetish!

June 25 2007 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KMF

They shouldn't even do a movie like this. They always have to go and ruin a good thing. Some bored producers, directors, or screenwriters are sitting around thinking about if they had done it first they'd have done this or that and somehow people buy into that crap.

They shouldn't even consider a prequel, don't we all remember Spock never met Kirk until Kirk took over for Capt Pike and they didn't get along?

BTW There's no young actors today that even remotely look like Shatner either. And I think Nimoy is doing nudie photgraphy work more.

June 25 2007 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R-Bro

Hasn't Nimoy officially retired from acting? Just because he's been offered a role doesn't mean he'll accept it.

June 25 2007 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply