July 30, 2014

Doctor Who: Blink

by Martin Conaghan, posted Jun 26th 2007 6:27PM
Blink(S03E10) Apologies for the lack of Doctor Who reviews recently, but I was sunning myself in Italy, and returned home to find a bumper hoard of episodes waiting for me on my Sky+ box.

Before I begin, let me ask you a question: how many times in recent years have you watched a stand-alone episode of a big sci-fi show and walked away from it thinking, "Man, that was brilliant"?

Seriously -- it can't be more than once or twice. Maybe a few episodes of X-Files, or Star Trek:TNG - possibly some Babylon 5 or Battlestar Galactica.

Well, I'm really not overstating things when I say that "Blink" was one of the best stand-alone episodes of any sci-fi show I've watched in years, let alone a great episode of Doctor Who.

For me, it ranks up there with the 1995 episode of X-Files, "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose", starring the brilliant Peter Boyle, and surpasses my previous top Doctor Who episode from series one, "Father's Day" and "The Girl in the Fireplace" from series two.

Everything about screamed clever; it was well-scripted, emotional, scary, intriguing, romantic, funny -- and damn good fun.

Not only was it a brilliant mixture of science-fiction and horror, but it was one of the cleverest time-travelling stories I can remember for years, replete with a mind-bogglingly genius scene where The Doctor held a conversation across time with the episode's heroine, Sally Sparrow, via a series of edited-together Easter Eggs from 17 unrelated DVDs.

Even more interestingly, the episode featured much less of The Doctor and Martha we've been used to in recent months (due to filming two episodes simultaneously), and paradoxically, centred around events our favourite time-traveller had yet to experience.

So, am I going to tell you anything about this episode?

Well, okay then. It was about Weeping Angels, statues that can only move when you're not looking at them -- and if they touch you, they steal energy from the life you might have lived, by catapulting you into the past and stranding you there.

The Doctor and Martha ended up in such a state, but via a series of messages passed down through the years by people who have been sent back in time by the Weeping Angels, they gradually work towards engineering their escape in a classic ontological paradox.

I really can't overstate how good this episode was -- and I'll tell you what, I want a t-shirt with "The Angels Took My Phone Box" on it.

Oh, and in case you're wondering -- yes, I have watched "Utopia" and "The Sound of Drums" -- keep watching this space before the nail-biting finale on Saturday...

Was this the best time-travelling Doctor Who episode ever?
Yes676 (84.3%)
No24 (3.0%)
I'll tell you when I get back from the future102 (12.7%)

Amy

FINALLY!!! We got to see it in the States!!! That was absolutely the best science fiction I have ever seen - totally amazing!!! Totally terrifying, totally creepy - I'm going to be terrified of statues for the rest of my life!

I'm still confused about how the angels got the phone box in the first place, but I don't even care - I'll just enjoy figuring it out when I get the dvd.

It was just brilliant - so funny, so sharp - best tv ever!!!

Going to CafePress to see about a t-shirt now!!

September 17 2007 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chuck

This finally just aired in the US, and it was completey amazing. I spent the entire episode half gasping at the statues (which are creepy anyway, all statues are) and and half smiling at the sheer delight of watching such a great episode of my favorite TV show. The only sad part is I can only watch it for the first time once!

September 14 2007 at 10:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
benny

I watched this episode on the internet this past weekend and it blew my mind. I went about the internet to tell other Sci Fi friends of mine that they need to see this episode of Doctor Who.
You and I must have the same taste for Sci Fi as my favourite episodes of Doctor Who are also Father's Day, and The Girl In The Fireplace (which I have a DVD of and keep trying to get people to watch it). That is, of course, until Blink came along.
Blink totally smoked my brain and left me dizzy when it was over!

August 29 2007 at 7:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iamzil

I'm a bit late with my comments. Blink just aired last night in Canada. I agree it was very enjoyable.

I have just one question.

Why did The Dr. have to use Billy to deliver the message? Couldn't he have just lived from 1969 to 2007 himself?

I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that Martha and The Dr. don't ultimately stay in 1969 & it would have taken some of the fun out of it.

Thanks

August 28 2007 at 10:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wary Traveler

Not meaning to hop on the band wagon, but I also thought that this episode was one of the best. I rank it up there with "The Satan Pit" and "The Girl In The Fireplace".

I found Carey Mulligan captivating. I'd like to see Sally Sparrow become the Doctor's companion. Her character has all the qualities that the Doctor's companions should have (like smart and brave and spunky and ...). And she's very cute.

August 27 2007 at 4:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cognimaniac

When they put this season out on DVD, they'd be remiss if they didn't include an easter egg containing the Doctor's half of the conversation.

July 11 2007 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ffcrazydude

Excellent episode, and possibly one of the best t.v episodes of an particular show i've ever seen. She would make a great companion in the future as well, she just seems, so perfect for it. That fact that shes hot too just makes her even more perfect :D. On another note, are they making another series of Torchwood? I hope so, and what did people think of Primevil on ITV?

June 30 2007 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrC

Not only was Blink a great episode, as a strange coicidence I was given a copy of the Dr Who parody "Dr Who and the Curse of the Fatal Death" which was done for BBC Comic relief in 1998 or 1999.

Funniest part? Also written by Mr Moffat.

There's a new series "Jekyll" which is a modern take on the J&H stuff and he wrote that too. So far in two episodes it's been pretty cool.

June 29 2007 at 12:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fred

If Carey Mulligan's name isn't placed on top of the list of potential future companions, there's no justice in this world!

June 27 2007 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mugsy

True greatness.
Oddly, this and my previous favorite episode "Love and Monsters" feature very little of the Doctor. Heck, the Doctor didn't even make a proper appearance until half way through this episode. Here are some screenshots: http://tvtanline.blogspot.com/search/label/Doctor%20Who

June 27 2007 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply