August 2, 2014

WWE wrestler accused in murder-suicide

by Anna Johns, posted Jun 26th 2007 1:33PM
chris benoitTMZ is reporting that WWE wrestler Chris Benoit is suspected of killing his wife and 7-year old son before committing suicide. Benoit and his family were found dead in their Atlanta home on Monday afternoon, the same day he was supposed to appear in a "memorial" episode for Vince McMahon's WWE character. TMZ reports that Atlanta police suspect Benoit strangled his wife on Saturday and then smothered his son in bed the next day. Benoit was apparently text messaging friends as he watched Vengeance, a WWE Pay-Per-View program, on Sunday.

I do not watch wrestling, but everything I read says he was very popular among fans. His signature move was the "Crippler Crossface". WWE quickly changed up its programming last night so it did not focus on the "death" of McMahon's character. McMahon made a brief statement to fans about the tragedy, saying Benoit was "one of the greatest WWE superstars of all time."

*UPDATE: Atlanta PD says Benoit killed his wife on Friday, his son on Saturday, and hanged himself (possibly) on Sunday. Sick.

stummies

Oh my God... I don't want to believe it. I was such a big Chris Benoit fan, and I just really don't want to believe that it's true.

When I heard about the murder of him and his family, I was horrified at the tragedy. But this.. this is making me sick to my stomach to think that I was a fan of someone who could do this, to his own family no less.

What a sick and twisted man.

June 27 2007 at 11:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Benoit fan no more

RE: 7. I was so absolutely shocked to hear this news last night. When Eddie Guererro died last year, it was an accident, a heart attack, horribly tragic and sad, but nonetheless, accident.

FYI: Guererro's death was preventable. He died from complications of an enlarged heart brought on by long-term steroid abuse.

June 27 2007 at 9:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jarrad

Chris Benoit "The Rabid Wolverine" was a great wrestler. He was one of my favorites. I was a big fan and cannot belive this has happened. He was a very popular wrestler, but now he wont have any more fans. How can a guy that murdered his family have fans. Im officially not a fan. Yes this sucks but wats already happened has happened and theres no way for change.He is a psycho. A crazed and angry man. He should've talked to someone about his problems, then now he would still be alive with his family and would be able to have a good life. R.I.P Benoit Family.

June 27 2007 at 11:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Norman Sitali

I was shocked out of my skin when I heard of this Wrestler's rather bizzare demise.In my country, Zambia,though John Cena is the biggest "thing " ,Benoit also had a place in many a fan's heart.It is even sadder that he had to take other people along.

It is difficult to understand why such incidences occur, however, this serves to open up to the rest of us the fact that ,behind the veneer of pomp and glamour , lay the ugly mystery that drove this man to do what he did.

The lesson that we can all learn is that when we feel weighed down by whatever, TALK TO SOMEONE ABOUT IT!
It does'nt have to be a shrink.TALK TO SOMEBODY,NOW!

June 27 2007 at 4:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phish

very very sad day indeed, for all the fans. how can anyone call themselves fans of this guy now!?

he's a muderer and a coward. and thats what his legacy will be.

RIP wife and child, burn in hell chris, u monster!

June 27 2007 at 4:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary

I being a huge wrestling fan have been watching Benoit since his beginning in Calgary on Stampede wrestling. To hear how he killed his wife then his son then himself was horrific. WWE made a statement that he passed his drug test in April so the argument of "Roid Rage" is debunked. I can only guess that Nancy(his wife) was going to leave him and something in him snapped. These wrestlers are on the road more than they're home. Sometimes the only thing that keeps some of these guys going is knowing they have a loving wife and family to go home to.
Thank god his two other children from a previous relationship weren't there or this could have been much worse. A tragedy either way. I could have felt sympathy for Benoit if he only took his own life but to kill your wife and child is cowardly.
I guess a person can have millions of fans, millions of dollars but it means shit if your losing the ones you love.

June 27 2007 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RedStarRevolution

This is just so out of that stratosphere it's unbelievable. I have loved Chris for a long time, and honestly I can remember watching him masterfully apply his craft as much as 15 years ago. To see him go out in this way, doing what he did, sickens me to my core.

He was always such a blue-collar, working class, all in all 'good guy', one of those guys you just want to see succeed because he worked so hard and loved it so much. So to hear of something as vile as this, I almost don't know what to do with it.

I want to remember Chris Benoit the wrestler as just what he was, one of the greatest of all time, but I just can't make it mesh with the kind of man he clearly was outside of the ring, and how someone I had loved for so long in that ring, could murder his own wife and son, especially the way he did it.

I know it sounds dumb, but I almost feel like I lost a family member, because Chris Benoit has always been there, week in and week out, giving it his all.

I still don't know how I feel about all of this, other than I am completely and utterly stunned, saddened and heartbroken.

However everything went down, RIP Benoit family...you will be sorely missed...

June 26 2007 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brian.stuart

What he did was horrific. No would claim otherwise. But he was obviously a psychologically troubled man given the circumstances around the murder and suicide. This is obviously part of Chris Benoit's legacy, but it shouldn't be all of his legacy. We need to find out more about this, if we even can. His industry needs to learn from this, too. If Steroids played a part, then this should absolutely shock the complacency of his industry about steroids. This should show everyone that they don't just harm the user, that they can warp your mind and that his fellow wrestlers need to honor his memory by once and for all taking steroids out of the industry. And WWE needs to show the support and leadership to make this happen. Likewise, they need to encourage more awareness of psychological difficulties that are an epidemic in professional wrestling and they need to encourage wrestlers to seek help and not be afraid of any stigma attached to seeking help. Furthermore, they need to lead as peers on domestic violence and make sure every wrestler knows that this is unacceptable. I think the circumstances suggest that there was more going on here than a man beating his wife. Clearly there were psychological issues. But that doesn't mean that this might not have been stopped with greater education among wrestlers about domestic abuse. Frankly, that's a problem hardly unique to pro-wrestling and its one a lot of arenas need to show more leadership on, including pro-athletes and other entertainers. But especially in wrestling with the physical and psychological strain they are under, it is all the important to enforce appropriate behavior and its wrestlers who need to take the lead on that among their peers.

This is a tragedy and it does tarnish the memory of an amazing entertainer. His friends must be struggling to make sense of all this. The best thing they can do to respect who he was as a friend is to try to learn something from this and act as a community to prevent anything like it from every happening again.

June 26 2007 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Can you say "'roid rage?"

June 26 2007 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

Benoit was an amazing wrestler, but this is it. His legacy is completely tarnished because of this. Honestly, I'm completely washing my hands of him, and I was a big Benoit fan. I know I'm not the only one, either.

Makes you wonder how the hell someone could snap like that. He had so much to live for. He was at the top of his game. He had a family. The Internet Wrestling Community worshiped the ground he walked on. He was golden, and he completely melted down. Unbelievable.

What a joke this is.