November 27, 2014

Zach Braff says he's not a jerk

by Joel Keller, posted Jun 26th 2007 11:42AM
Zach BraffGotta hand it to Zach Braff; he's probably one of the most wired celebrities out there. He was one of the first celebs (besides our very own Wil Wheaton, of course) to maintain a blog, and he seems to be well aware of whatever internet buzz is flying around about him or Scrubs.

So it's no surprise to see him respond to the reports from Gawker, Radar Online, and other sites about how he's been tomcatting around New York this summer, seemingly talking up a different woman every night. On the latest entry in his blog (which is also on his MySpace page), he wonders why the tabloid coverage of him is saying that he's being a jerk:

"I'm not sure when or why the tabloid angle on me was decided that I am a cad. I would have much rather it had been that I am secretly a dentist or that I love soup. I am in fact, merely doing what every other single 32 year old man in NYC is doing this summer. I am dating."

That's pretty much what I always thought; the guy's 32, single, filthy rich, and taking what he says is his first vacation in 6 years. I'd be dating as many attractive women as I could find, too. Whether he's acting like a jerk towards them, though, is purely a guess; anyone who sees him acting that way may be taking it out of context. But, of course, that's his business.

Braff seems to be taking the attention in stride, though: "It is probably one of the only real shitty things one has to get used to when living in the public eye, but I suppose one of the benefits of this blog is that you can hear it directly from me."

In other Braff news, he confirms that he is the new voice of Wendy's, and that Scrubs will begin filming its final 18 episodes in August.

[via Pop Candy and People.com]

Jim Murphy

Well, folks...

English is my first language, and if Zach wanted to eschew obfuscation, he should have said:

"I would more strongly have preferred that they say that I am secretly a dentist or that I love soup".

BTW... in the immortal words of Brigitte Dale, web celeb extraordinaire: "I don't get it. What's wrong with soup? I like soup!"

June 27 2007 at 9:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Keli

I met Zach at a press screening event one time and he made a big deal about not wanting anyone to make direct eye contact with him because it would mess up his aura or something. weirdo.

June 27 2007 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

"I would have much rather it had been that I am secretly a dentist or that I love soup"

He mixes "I would have" and "I would rather have".

"I would rather we had lost." is correct English just like "I would have liked it to be (something else)".

I know it feels kind of right because it corrects the feeling I get when I read/use/think about "I'd rather".

The correct sentence would be this:

"I would much rather had it been me secretly being a dentist or that I love soup"

Or maybe more in the present "I'd much rather have it me secretly being a dentist or loving soup".

But then again English isn't my first language. But to me what he wrote felt wrong. Extremely wrong.

June 27 2007 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

I think that *is* correct grammar, actually. But don't quote me on that – I'm just using my grammar-instincts, which though often correct, aren't always.

June 26 2007 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel Keller

Maybe Zach's too busy counting his money to do a grammar check on his blog entries...

June 26 2007 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

"I would have much rather it..." - is that correct English?

June 26 2007 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
debra fink

Zach is funny with a good sense of humor. People get the wrong idea with him. He does have a creative side too.

June 26 2007 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KMF

Seems like Braff is just dating around, nothing wrong with that.

And I thought he was the voice in those Wendy's ads. My sister didn't believe me at first.

June 26 2007 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kurt

The only comment I have is that I can't believe no one commented. I know I can always count on some comment to give me a laugh on tvsquad.

June 26 2007 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply