August 21, 2014

James Gandolfini returns to HBO with new documentary

by Richard Keller, posted Jun 30th 2007 11:30AM

James Gandolfini executive produces a new documentary for HBORemember that exclusive three-year deal that James Gandolfini signed with HBO last year? Well, it's finally bearing fruit in the form of a documentary that focuses on the wounded soldiers of the Iraq War.

Alive Day Memories: Home From Iraq is Gandolfini's first post-Sopranos project for HBO as well as the first project from his new production company, Attaboy Films. The documentary, which will debut on Sunday, September 9, will focus on the new generation of wounded veterans who have returned from Iraq. Gandolfini, the documentary's executive producer, interviews ten of the wounded veterans who reveal their severe disabilities and their plans for the future.

This will be the third HBO Documentary Films production focusing on the Iraq War. The first, Baghdad ER, focused on the personnel of a Combat Support Hospital and won an Emmy and Peabody award. The second, Last Letters Home: Voices of American Troops from the Battlefields of Iraq, featured the letters of ten men and women killed in action over in the Middle East.

Emilie Cohen, P.T.

Thank you, Mr Gandolfini, for allowing these veterans to tell their stories. I am a physical therapist and am saddened and alarmed by the number of amputees returning home from iraq. Their individual personal struggles need to be made "real" to the population of our country. It is so important that each of us never take an ordinary day for granted. These young men and women no longer have that luxury. A normal day for these individuals is sure to seem surreal to us. I applaud their strength. I want everyone to realize how difficult the physical rehabilitation alone is. It is relentless and requires effort that is so far beyond one hundred percent. The bottom line is that there is no other choice than to apply this effort. I thought of the work that I ask of my patients as I watched each interview. I was also touched by the humanity evident in each story. I can only again thank you for allowing "us" to get to know just a handfull of these veterans. With gratitude to our armed forces, Emilie Cohen, P.T.

September 21 2007 at 9:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jan

I just finished watching "Alive Day" and am still wiping away my tears. I just want to "Thank you" for sharing warriors stories, and their incredible attitudes. One of them could have very easily been my son. But, I want all the freedom fighters to know, that they are my sons and daughters in a sense. I am free because of them and those who have gone before.
My heartfilled appreciation and prayers are with them.
God bless them and their families,
We love them all.....and know that God has reserved a special place in heaven for them.
We are with them and their battles....
The Reilly Family
Texas

September 14 2007 at 1:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rosalie Gaudiello

The HBO special was heartful. Thank God for our men and women who serve this country and to Mr. Gandolfini for his attention to these sometimes forgotten heros. I am married to a Vietman vet who had no support when he came home. God bless you all

September 10 2007 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sherry

i want to thank hbo and attaboy films, along with producer james gandolfini for one of the finest documentaries i have ever seen on television. i was overwhelmed by the courage and bravery of these men and women. i am the mother of two grown sons. as i watched story after story, i watched as a mother and cried. i also watched as a proud american. put your political views aside and just look into the faces of these soldiers as they tell their stories. they represent the bravest and best our nation has to offer. striking was the lack of self-pity. touching and well done.

September 10 2007 at 8:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michelle Ellison

I hope that everyone who sees Alive Day Memories realizes just what is sacrificed in the name of freedom. There are only two words that need to be said now: THANK YOU. Thanks to our military first and foremost, to their families, and thanks to Mr. Gandolfini and HBO for bringing this reality home. I am married to a wounded soldier and there is nobody I am more proud of. Regardless of your beliefs, please say thank you to those who wear the uniform. Never let your thoughts and prayers be far from them.

September 09 2007 at 11:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply