September 18, 2014

7-Elevens converted to Kwik-E-Marts to promote The Simpsons Movie

by Joel Keller, posted Jul 2nd 2007 12:02PM
Kwik-E-Mart / 7-ElevenEarlier this year, we told you about a possible advertising deal brewing between the producers of The Simpsons Movie and 7-Eleven. Well, that advertising deal is now a reality; to promote the movie, which is opening on July 27, selected 7-Eleven outlets have been changed into Kwik-E-Marts, in what the chain called its "most massive and complex" promotion ever.

AdAge.com details what's been changed in the promotion, which runs until the end of the month. The signs out front will be different, of course, but a series of Simpsons-branded products will be sold in the store, including Buzz Cola and Krusty-Os cereal. Even the Slurpees will be called Squishees.

It's a fairly extensive effort, and despite how much the Kwik-E-Mart is made fun of on the show -- it's expensive, it always gets robbed, the hot dogs are from the Carter administration -- 7-Eleven thinks the fact that they're in on the joke will endear themselves to customers. Too bad they refused to display the old hot dogs, though; those would have been cool to look at.

[via Mediabistro]

Mel

I stopped by one in the Florissant, MO area last night, and while it wasn't fully decorated, it did have a good range of neat Simpsons merchandise. Shirts, hats, keychains, bobbleheads, Krusty-O's and Buzz Cola, and collectable yellow plastic cups and straws to go with your Squishee. I tried the WooHoo! Blue Vanilla flavor, and it was very good. I guess the blue is supposed to represent Marge's hair, but I'm not sure where vanilla fits in.

July 04 2007 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
B

Who needs the Quickie Mart?
"I dooooooooooo."

July 03 2007 at 9:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel Keller

Here you go:

I added it to the post, under the words "selected 7-Elevens".

July 02 2007 at 4:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pete

real cool, but like whats his face said, how do you know the locations of said kwik e marts. google maps? or what?!!

July 02 2007 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

I'm going to just drive by the two 7-11s around here now just for the hell of it and see if they were transformed.

July 02 2007 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

I so hope that I get to see one here in the St. Louis area. If not the whole store facade, at least some of the merchandise. Those WooHoo! Blue Vanilla Slushies sound pretty good to me.

July 02 2007 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teddy

I guess they're hoping we've forgotten all the jokes "The Simpsons" has made over the years about how nasty, unhealthful and ridiculously expensive the stuff sold at the Kwik-E-Mart is. (Because, of course, 7-Elevens are nothing like that!)

July 02 2007 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
William

I went by a Kwik-E-Mart this morning and it was pretty impressive what they had done. I visited the one in Henderson, NV outside of Vegas and they had put up a facade over the entire front of the building and they had changed the signage in the parking area with the "5min parking, violators will be executed" signs. Inisde they had a good supply of Buzz cola and Krusty-Os. It was early so I didnt get a Squishee but I think I'm gonna stop by later on for one.

Oh, the checker when I was there today had a nametag that read "I. P. Freely" :)

Oh, and the hardcore Simpsons/Reality mashup fans will remember that Henderson, NV was the home of the Simpsons house that was given away a few years back. It's still there but its been repainted and the new owner hasnt kept it up too well.

July 02 2007 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

Is there going to be some online listing so people know whether or not their local 7-Eleven is going to be a Kwik-e-Mart?

July 02 2007 at 1:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply