July 22, 2014

Criss Angel sued for divorce

by Adam Finley, posted Jul 2nd 2007 3:02PM

criss angelEgad.

According to the New York Post, Criss Angel's wife, Joanne Sarantakos (Sarantakos is Angel's actual surname), is suing her husband for divorce, claiming that he kept their marriage a secret to help his career and make him more appealing to fans.

Their marriage was enough of a secret that I had no idea he was even married, though it's not as if I spend every waking moment keeping up with Angel's personal life. Still, whenever a girl was by Criss' side on Mindfreak, she was always just credited as "Criss' girl" as far as I remember.

In addition, Cameron Diaz is being named as Angel's lover according to Sarantakos' lawyers, and will be subpoenaed. The Post also reports that Angel did not support his wife, despite making millions from his work.

The rest of the Post article doesn't exactly paint Angel in the most flattering light, describing him as self-centered and consumed by the "Criss Angel" character he created. However, it's the Post, so I wouldn't expect a piece full of happiness and sunshine.

Personally, I'm not at all shocked that Angel wanted to keep the marriage a secret, and I'm sure he's not the only famous person to craft a public image in such a manner. Perhaps in this "celebreality" age that's not as easy to do anymore, though.

[via AOL News]

blurrykitten

he's gorgeous and who cares if he's married or not!!
he is so totally sexy and mysterious and he can have any woman....i'll be happy to be his woman...

July 14 2007 at 11:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cheza

People craft their television/movie personas to fit what they believe the public will respond to most and if a single man is what does it, then that's what performers will go with, its called making yourself successful.

Not all women are easily distracted by shiney, expensive objects or are in the pursuit of 36DDD boobs, the Blown up Barbie days have somewhat passed.

I'm think9ing at this point, and until we get more evidence, that Ms. Sarantakos is just being vindictive because she wasn't placed in the spotlight with her man more.
Ultimate revenge right, get your soon-to-be ex and his hussy girlfriend at the same time and place both in the rotten lighting of Humanity's Microscope for a thorough dissection.

Its sad that it came to this, a vengeful wife going on a mud-slinging campaign.
When will people grow the heck up?

July 05 2007 at 2:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Smiley7

And for his next trick, Chris Angel will make his house, his car, and all of his money disappear.

July 02 2007 at 6:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam Finley

Karen:

I should have clarified my point.

Simply, I meant that the "Criss Angel" character he created probably worked better as an unattached and mysterious guy. I don't think his being married would have reduced his appeal per se, I just think it was a personal choice he made: 'I'm married, but Criss Angel, this character I created, is not.'

July 02 2007 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathan

I have watched Mindfreak a lot and would have never guessed he was married, always seemed single and liked the women. Oh wells. Guess he will be paying up now.

July 02 2007 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Whoosh

all women are not stupid. they are just easily distracted by shiny things and the smell of silicon

July 02 2007 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
godsmack

let's just go ahead and say all women are stupid, then.

July 02 2007 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pete

karen is stu-stu-stu-stupid.

July 02 2007 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

"Personally, I'm not at all shocked that Angel wanted to keep the marriage a secret"

I'm curious, Adam--why doesn't this shock you? Are we really at a point where a married man's sex-appeal factor is lower than a bachelor's? Did that happen to, say, Brad Pitt when he was married to Jennifer Aniston? Not so much.

It was one thing, back in the day when studios controlled all of a star's public life. Nowadays, it's really different.

To me, hiding the fact of his marriage only makes it appear that he was ashamed of his wife, which is pretty contemptible.

July 02 2007 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply