November 27, 2014

The Doctor is still doing well with the ladies

by Annie Wu, posted Jul 4th 2007 10:01AM
Tennant and MinoguePlease note that the title was meant to be said in a very sleazy voice, stretching out the word "ladies" to "lay-deez" accompanied by an inappropriate waggle of the eyebrows. Now that the finale of Doctor Who has aired, loads of news regarding the upcoming Christmas special and fourth series has started coming in and all that news is about the ladies (again: "lay-deez").

First off, it has been announced that music super-star Kylie Minogue will be the Christmas special companion. The only film I have seen her in is Moulin Rouge!, but I don't think the Green Fairy's giggling and playful rump-shaking is enough to create a fair appraisal. But judging by Kylie's overall fabulousness, I think she'll do a pretty good job in "Voyage of the Damned" special. There's two more bits of casting news I've included after the jump, but they include spoilers from the series three finale! Don't keep reading unless you've seen it already! You have been warned! Exclamation mark!

[SPOILERS AHEAD]

Martha Jones may have said her farewells in the final episode, but this is definitely not the last of Freema Agyeman. She has signed on for a starring role on Torchwood and, after three episodes of that, she will return to Doctor Who mid-season. I actually quite like Martha the way she is, but I think she'll acquire some interesting traits after doing a stint with the Torchwood gang. After all, hanging out with Captain Jack for extended periods of time can really do a number on a person.

Another familiar face will be returning to the Doctor, in the form of the new companion... The runaway bride herself, Donna, played by Catherine Tate. Her character was the special guest in last year's Christmas special and the Doctor initially invited her to join him on some more adventures, but she refused. I guess Donna has had a change of heart and decided that the TARDIS is way too cool to pass up. And yes, she will remain with the Doctor even upon Martha's return. I expect multiple catfights as the ladies vie for the Doctor's unattainable attention. Honestly, I didn't really care for loud Donna the first time around and was rather glad to be rid of her. This news doesn't exactly please me, but I understand that there are plenty of Donna fans out there and I have slowly come to accept over the past few months that Doctor Who wasn't created specifically to cater to me. Otherwise, I'd be the new companion. You've got to win me over, Tate!

lisa bowman

I have written to the scifi network making sure that they will put series four next july as it is a great ratings grabber a million viewers a week for series two i should say Lisa bowman

August 26 2007 at 9:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
slantagn

I guess I'm in the minority but I found Martha to be a deadly dull character, and, while Freema Agyeman was just fine as an actress, I never found her particularly engaging to watch. A shake-up in the TARDIS is exactly what this show needs.

July 04 2007 at 7:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawn

Rose is no loss and although I wasn't massively keen on Donna she will be an improvement on the appalling Kylie. Personally I quite liked Martha and will be interested to see what she does in Torchwood (which I also loved). Let's face it, the doctor has had some pretty awful companions in the past. I mention here Peri, Mel and the horrific Tegan, surely nothing could be worse than them. Jo Grant and Ace were pretty good, Romana and Nyssa were tolerable and I think I must be the only person in existence who liked Adric. The best (rightly reserved for last) was, of course, Sarah Jane and I sadly think we shall never see her like again.

July 04 2007 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lampbane

Uh, Kylie Minogue was in that horrible Street Fighter movie.

I don't like Donna, and I was a bit peeved that Martha is going to be out for a while, given that I thought she was a vast improvement over Rose, who wasn't the brightest bulb.

July 04 2007 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
monkeypox

yeah, rose was crap. martha, much better. but sally sparrow? by far the best.

July 04 2007 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Will you people stop pining for Rose? She is never coming back.

And for the rest, I too am not 100% thrilled with this decision but lets not judge all of the upcoming series with Donna on just her performance in TRB.

July 04 2007 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Derek

I think a Sally Sparrow show would be cool; it could focus on more "X-Files-ish" stuff than WHO or TORCHWOOD but I don't want her as a companion.

This news really doesn't excite me.
I hate the idea of that screeching harpy Donna becoming a permanent part of the show.
I dread what will happen to Martha Jones on Torchwood since every character on the show not named Capt. Jack is a complete ass.

I really just don't see any reason to upset the applecart right now. Martha is awesome and she deserves to be an equal partner on the show not a third banana behind the most annoying character to ever grace my tv screen.

July 04 2007 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
n33t

Donna's fine, but why not Sally Sparrow. I mean come ON. She practically deserves her OWN show...

July 04 2007 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

No Rose? :(

July 04 2007 at 11:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent

I dunno - did you see the sketch comedy they did together? - http://youtube.com/watch?v=f9uugVWW_XE

July 04 2007 at 10:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply