September 2, 2014

ESPN's Dan Patrick did not audition for The Price Is Right

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 5th 2007 2:01PM

Dan PatrickThis is odd. We've been covering this whole "who is going to replace Bob Barker" story for several months now, and this is the first time I've heard Dan Patrick's name come up.

But the ESPN Radio host told listeners yesterday that although he didn't audition to be the new host of The Price Is Right, producers of the CBS game show did indeed call him and ask if he wanted to audition. He said, um, no. (OK, I added the "um" part, but you can probably imagine he was thinking it that way.)

This is kinda too bad. He's one of the more interesting ideas the show has had in this search. Though probably too snarky. But I don't know who I want to get the gig. Mario Lopez and Ian Ziering? Too young and hip for my tastes (yeah, I know, Bob Barker was young once too, but not in the way they are today). George Hamilton? Just can't see it. Mark Steines and Todd Newton? Not bad, but I wonder if they're too "game show." John O'Hurley? I like him, but for some reason he's too overbearing on game shows.

Barker is going to be hard to replace, not just because he really was the show, but also because he (and daytime game shows in general) came from a different era, and it's not going to be just a matter of plugging some one in there because they a.) speak well and/or b.) they're younger and can get younger viewers. I bet handling the ins and outs of the games can be done by anyone, and as for getting younger viewers, college kids were some of Barker's biggest fans.

This isn't going to be easy.

gambz

How about Drew Carey?

July 20 2012 at 12:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DD

I think Danny Osmond would be a good fit. I came real close to upchucking when fat pig idiotic rude Rosie was mentioned. Maybe Katie Couric (a true light weight) since she is flopping as a newscaster, causing the CBS evening news ratings to go in the toilet--her sophmoric attitude might fit on a game show.

July 10 2007 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Keri

How about Al Roker?

July 09 2007 at 10:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rick

Wayne Brady.

July 06 2007 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

NO to Tom Bergeron!!!!! Overexposure doesn't begin to describe him. Neither does overrated. You might as well just throw Regis Philibin's name into the mix if that's the route you want to go. Marc Summers is someone who totally slipped my mind in thinking about this but I think he would be GREAT. For some reason, I thought Dave Price of the CBS Early Show basically had the job already, though. I heard that somewhere. I see the show lasting only a couple more years, no matter who they get. You can't replace Bob Barker. But you might as well try and get the best fit for the show and let it go out with a decent amount of quality. Bergeron, Patrick and Hamilton ain't it.

July 06 2007 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will Teullive

Dan Patrick? I guess they are not concerned with ratings.

Will Teullive

July 05 2007 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dustin

Personally, its most likey impossible to find anyone that will "save" the Price is Right. It has been and always be Barker's show and without him it will die.

July 05 2007 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I don't have any opinion at all about the new "Price is Right" host. I just want to know who spray-painted Dan Patrick orange. Was it a Syracuse fan??

July 05 2007 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I love Dan Patrick, but he wouldn't be right for "Price is Right", because he's too smug. The new host should embody the same selfless qualities Barker did, in my opinion. To that end, I agree with comment #5, putting forth Tom Bergeron. I've said for a while now that Bergeron is the closest TV has seen to Johnny Carson in a long time. He has so much class and articulates humor so effortlessly.

July 05 2007 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mja

I think Marc Summers is a great idea! He even has a background with the Price is Right because he has hosted stage versions of the show & Bob Barker was a mentor to him when he worked as a page at CBS. My own idea was Tom Bergeron (America's Funniest Home Videos) but I like TVGenius' choice better.

July 05 2007 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply