Clay Aiken takes credit for reviving Jericho

by Jay Black, posted Jul 6th 2007 4:01PM
We bow before thee oh master of the Claymates.TV Tattle reports today (via SyFyPoral via The Houston Chronicle -- ah, the twisty fun of giving internet credit!) that, if you're a Jericho fan, you apparently have Clay Aiken to thank for the show's upcoming revival.

Aiken said he "...started blogging about [Jericho] on my fan site. It got canceled and I started blogging about how upset I was. I said, 'The Claymates can do anything. How do we get this show back on the air?'"

His fans sprung into action and, "Honestly, within a week, they had organized a campaign amongst Jericho fans to send nuts to CBS. It kind of started in that place. And it's back on the air. It just blows my mind."

I have a few questions about these comments...

1) Does he honestly believe that it was his blog that was the genesis of the online campaign? Isn't it more probable that his blogging about it simply reflected what other people were also feeling? Isn't saying that you started the campaign kind of like someone saying to one of their buddies in 1955, "Hey wouldn't it be awesome if we sent men to the moon?" and then trying to take credit for the Apollo program? If that's all you have to do to get credit for something, let me say now and for the entire internet to see: I would like the war in Iraq to end and for someone to create a cookie that never gets any smaller no matter how many bites are taken out of it. If either of those things happen in my lifetime, remember -- you read it here first!

2) Is there any fan nickname creepier than "Claymates"? I mean, I'm not making up the psuedosexual implication there am I? PLAYmate? CLAYmate? Beside that, is he really calling his fans by that name without irony? On some level, he's got to disrespect them, doesn't he? Someone should get a hidden camera on him while he's blogging because you know as soon as he's finished banging out another 300 words on why purple is his favorite gumdrop color, he'll have an Uncle Don Carney moment: "There that ought to hold the little bastards for another week."

3) How could his fans possibly allow themselves to be called that without feeling stripped of their dignity? I've been a fan of musicians before, but I'm pretty sure I'd set myself on fire before I'd let Roger Waters call me his "Waterboy" or whatever. If someone in your family told you, "Hey, you know what, I'm just a total Claymate!" wouldn't you convene a family meeting about how to fix the situation?

One question you won't be seeing me ask is whether or not the Claymates "can do anything". This is because in researching this article, I've discovered that yes, the Claymates can do anything. Some of their more impressive accomplishments:

• controlling the British Crown
  • keeping the metric system down
  • keeping Atlantis off the maps
  • keeping the Martians under wraps
  • holding back the electric car
  • making Steve Guttenberg a star
  • robbing cavefish of their sight
  • rigging every Oscar night.
As you can see, it's a pretty amazing list. For a dramatization of what a meeting of the Claymates looks like, click here.

One wonders, however, seeing as it's true that the Claymates have such amazing powers, why their master hasn't order them to do something more constructive with their time other than bring back a serialized television drama. I'd personally like to see a workable plan for universal health care or at the very least a definitive answer on global warming.

By the way, if any of those two things happen, I'm taking credit for them too.

lynnation

A lot of people helped get Jericho back - and I'm grateful to each and every one of them for making it so I can watch my favorite show again - Thanks!!

July 16 2007 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patty

the picture you have is not the lady in the picture that hit clay! she got in the way!thanks SC

July 14 2007 at 8:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shaun

http://www.cbs.com/jericho here is where the save jericho campaign started and with whom

July 13 2007 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol Byrnes

Jay, Didn't your Mother teach you better manners? CLAY AIKEN is the 3rd most successful "Idol" behind Kelly and Carrie (and MOST successful MALE). He is a GREAT Singer. He just said that about "Jericho" with "tongue-in-cheek. GROW UP!!! And, unlike Kelly, he doesn't have to cancel ANY Tours because of POOR Sales!! And I also love Kelly. I think she is overworked.

July 11 2007 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chester

From an airline employee:

We just got this email in our Inbox about The Gayken’s airplane altercation on Saturday.

I work for the airline he was on. Attached is a picture a fellow staffer took. I wish to remain anonymous but I had to send you the real story. We got a call from the Captain who said the Clay was being “bothered” by a fan. This was while the flight was still in the air. When the flight landed, the FBI was called because the flight attendant had said that Mr. Aiken was belligerent. All passengers were questioned. We heard nothing of a passenger who assaulted Mr., Aiken. In fact, it was Mr. Aiken and his ego that had the crew concerned and the Captain wanted the police at the gate on arrival into Tulsa. The woman in the picture is the supposed fan who bothered Mr. Aiken. Doesn’t look like she could hurt a fly.

Sorry for the poor picture quality. It was taken with a cell phone. I will send you another picture in a second e-mail of Mr. Aiken filling out paperwork in the jetway. No one else was asked to fill out any paperwork.

July 08 2007 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chester

Seems Clay and his Ego can't get along with fellow passengers......the FBI had to be called to meet the plane at the Tulsa airport.
The Diva strikes again

July 08 2007 at 6:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin,,,

"We will out last and out live you."

Do Claymates sign a billion year contract like the Scientologists?

(actually is Aiken a scientologist? I know they like having guys like that as members)

July 08 2007 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KartofflMuter

I am not a Claymate. Never have been. Never will be. I am a serious fan of Clayton Aiken. I am NOT single,don't own a cat,have no video tapes of Mr.Aiken and don't believe everything I read. You people must be naive enough to believe every stereotype presented to you. Tough luck. We will out last and out live you.

July 08 2007 at 1:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe Bua

I have a feeling it had a lot more with the peanuts, the many web resources the sprung up and the calls to CBS than it did an army of middle-aged single women who talk to their cats while they play their VHS tapes of his TV appearances and rattle off screeds in emails over their 56K modems to anyone who dare say something real about their little non-threatening androgo-pet who they flock to like a Southern Baptist to a tent revival.

July 07 2007 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patty

I am a claymate and I love the show I am glad its on also we all help in raiseing money for different things. you guys are to be happy its back on! SC

July 07 2007 at 10:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply