October 21, 2014

Kyle XY: Balancing Act

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Jul 6th 2007 11:01PM
Kyle XY(S02E04) It was inevitable: Kyle would soon have problems juggling between family life and his secret superhuman one. This week's episode was all about that balancing act Kyle must perform. The episode didn't only allow Kyle to work on a new ability and save the say, but also provided Josh and Lori a time to shine. Sadly, "Balancing Act" was XX-less but that doesn't mean that her storyline didn't evolve.

XX-less?
Even though Jessi does not appear in the episode, Emily is there to remind us that XX is close and that the threat is coming. The way Emily lures herself in the Tragers life is genius even a little devilish. At first, I really thought that Nicole had accidentally bumped into Emily but after thinking about it (and seeing more of the episode), it was clear the run in was planned by Agent Hollander. Evil! Yet, really clever. It not only allowed Emily to get closer to Kyle but also opened the door for Nicole to treat Jessi, having her to get closer to XY too.

Unnecessary Declan
I'm not sure I like Declan's storyline this season. The Tragers may not be actively searching for answers to whom Kyle is, but we know that they eventually will have him spill the beans. Do we really need Declan then? I don't think so. Plus, now that he and Lori are not a couple anymore, Declan seems to be superfluous. Since Declan stopped being Kyle's confident, I see myself almost want to flip channels when he is on the screen as I know it will be pointless and just put Kyle in some danger that is nothing compared to what XX will soon bring. Even though I think the character has run his course, I'm still interested to see him succeed in his quest. I also want to know who took the pictures. Foss? Will Declan take the threat seriously and is Lori really in danger? If Foss took the pictures, will he really hurt Lori if Declan doesn't stop? Because if he does, Foss can be sure that Kyle will not be a happy camper.

Code ***
This episode showed a more human Foss. Even though he still is on a mission, the man really cares for Kyle. Learning more about his wife and daughter and seeing how lonely he now is made the character more real. Again in this episode, a tragic event has Kyle succeed at controlling one of his abilities. This time it was Foss who needed help. The event not only had Foss and Kyle connect but also showed that Kyle appreciated Foss and what he does for him. Otherwise, Kyle would have gone to Josh's birthday dinner.

The Birthday Boy
Josh gets a year older and a bit wiser. As it is the case for most teens his age, he has his mind set on one thing: a new car. Sadly, Stephen just lost his job and can't afford a new car. Josh's hopes are crushed but he shows maturity in the way he deals with the fact his father can't give him the gift he promised. Josh also shows maturity in his "relationship" with Andy. I really do hope they start to date. They are already good friends, they connect on a lot of levels, and care for one another. How cool, yet simple, was the gift Andy gave him? It will be a nice male-bonding activity for the three guys to repair the car. Question is, will Kyle find the time?

G, D, C
Let's face it, in Season 1 Lori was a spoiled brat. In Season 2, she is a totally different person. She is truly trying to deal with her breakup with maturity. The scene where she is looking for her guitar clearly showed how much she grew: at first, she bought a lot of stuff and never committed to anything and now she is ready to start something and see it through. Playing the guitar is not easy but it will be a great way for her to express her feelings and escape. Kyle, of course, needs a mere minute or two to learn how to play guitar. Interestingly, the first song he plays is Pachelbel's Canon, which is the song he heard Amanda play on the piano in the first episode of the series.

Family and Friends
In this episode, Kyle learned a lot about family. He sees what the lack of family love can do to a man (see Foss) and he can see the importance of it thanks to the Tragers. Things weren't easy between Kyle and the Tragers this week as XY had a hard time balancing his time between family and training. Josh even thought that Kyle didn't care about them anymore. He had such a hard time being there for his new family that Nicole and Stephen thought that Kyle didn't want to live with them anymore. Kyle will need to better organize his time if he wants the Tragers to not become more suspicious than they already are. Kyle also had to make amends with his friends. It wasn't a done deal with Amanda but she eventually forgave him. As for Declan, since Kyle can't tell him the truth, it'll be a while before the two become best buds again.

"Balancing Act" may be seen as a filler episode by some, but the episode set a few things in motion while having characters grow.

(Kyle XY - S02E04) Do you think Declan should be written off the show?
Yes, as you say, the character ran his course.26 (13.9%)
No! I want him back with Lori.120 (64.2%)
Don't care.41 (21.9%)

Jon88

ABC is pulling the Friday reruns of Kyle in favor of introducing "Greek," for this week at least. Time to find friends who get ABC Family, folks.

July 10 2007 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

If I had to summarize the stark differences between seasons one and two, it would be a character-driven storyline (in season one) vs. a plot-driven storyline (in season two). The differences in this case are very subtle. I think last season we watched characters struggle with issues, from which they learned things. This season the characters have magically already learned things, and we don't watch them go through life with any sense of discovery. Lori went from teenaged girl to maturing young woman without us watching it. Josh went from bratty teenage boy to maturing teenage boy, again without us watching it. There's so little interaction between Nicole and Kyle, which served as the backbone of last season.

Worse, Kyle isn't much of a mystery anymore, and for me, that was a big part of the magic of season one -- the mystery of Kyle XY. Without any mystery, Kyle Dallas and the episode directors better step up on the acting and character direction, because the character as-presented is one-dimensional and predictable.

July 08 2007 at 9:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LadyOracle

I really loved this show last season and I am really trying to give it a chance but honestly I am running out of patience with it.

Matt Dallas seems to be a one note player. The innocent, obliviousness (and overly enunciated speaking for that matter) no longer rings true and the genuine sense of discovery that I liked about last season now seems fake and stunted. It is like I suspect there is a descent plot coming but my patience is running out. I can only relate it to reading "The Picture of Dorian Gray" when you get to the middle of the book and Oscar Wilde rants for a chapter on the appeal of tapestries. I know that there is something good coming up, but could we get to it already.

It is a sad commentary when I enjoy watching the Josh and Lori storylines infinitely more than the Kyle ones.

As for Declan, who eventually became my second favorite character at the end of season 1, I am annoyed at best. The dynamic between him and Kyle is more like a gay lover's spat than estranged friends. I find myself flashing back to Lord of the Rings: Two Towers and just wishing they'd make out already and just get it over with. I think Kyle needs to spill the beans or they need to kill Declan off, one of the two.

I have hopes that this season will get better, I'm not canceling my TIVO season pass just yet. Maybe XX will really get things going.

July 07 2007 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Manda

The thing that kind of turns me off of Declan is how much the secrets have messed with him. I really don't think the guy should have worried that badly and lost his relationship with Lori. I do believe he should be spying like he is, just not as emotional as he is.

July 07 2007 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

I'm really enjoying Josh's relationship with Andy. We can see that they've become good friends in the short time that they've known each other, probably because they share similar interests. I like that, unlike how Lori and Declan were in the beginning, there's no tension or antagonism going on with them: Josh and Andy are buddies. It's a fresh take on the teenage relationship, and I think it adds a lot to the show. I've really liked seeing Josh grow since the beginning of the series, he's learned to be more responsible and mature, and it's very interesting to see that. I think he's actually my second favorite character, after Kyle of course.

July 07 2007 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabelle Carreau

mickbw: I did give Declan 4 episodes before somewhat giving up on him. If they want me to think he is useful again, they need to give him something more important to do. Indeed having him hook up (and help) Jessi would be useful for the series.

July 07 2007 at 8:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabelle Carreau

Tele-Toby: I hadn't thought about Madacorp buying Stephen's company. I wonder why I didn't since I'm usually always trying to find links between things in shows. It would be a cool and evil twist if that were the case.

Or, while we are speculating, how about the company was bought by whatever other company but that Stephen lands a job with Madacorp not knowing its ties with Kyle?

July 07 2007 at 8:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mick

I am sure also that Stephen's company was bought by Madacorp.

I also think you are selling out Declan's character prematurely. A pretty obvious meet-up between Declan and Jessie is in his future.

July 07 2007 at 2:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

Maybe I read more into the episode than I should have, but I think MadaCorp was behind the buy-out of Stephen's company. The long-term plan? With money about to be tight in the Trager household, Nicole would be amenable to taking on a new client (Jessi XX).

And they never did I.D. the company that bought out Stephan's, so it's a possibility.

July 07 2007 at 1:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply