September 1, 2014

Michael Cassidy joins Smallville

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Jul 7th 2007 9:00AM
Michael CassidyEarly June, I reported in TV Squad's Spoilers Anonymous feature that when Smallville would return in September the Daily Planet would have a new editor. The show was looking for an "extremely hot thirtysomething actor" to play this new character who would be featured in six of the first eight episodes and could become Lois Lane's new love interest.

TV Guide's Michael Ausiello reports that Hidden Palms' Michael Cassidy landed the role.

Cassidy, who also appeared on The O.C., will more than likely make is first appearance on the second episode of Smallville's upcoming season. His character, named Greg or Grant (depending on which source you ask), will replace Carrie Fisher as the Planet's editor. Ausiello adds that Michael Cassidy will appear in at least six episodes, meaning that if fans react positively to his character, he may stick around longer. Ausiello also points out an age problem and I must agree with him: Cassidy is 24 years old. Isn't that a bit young to be editor in chief of a major newspaper? Unless the role was lowered to some assistant editor or junior editor. Nonetheless, Cassidy will sure help bring over some fans who have been following him on The O.C. and Hidden Palms.

Isabelle Carreau

Upsidedown: I know they tried to have McKean back for even an episode and it didn't work because of the actor's schedule. I'm pretty sure they'll keep trying.

July 08 2007 at 8:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Upsidedown

I agree he is too young!! In the other hand, Michael McKean is fantastic! Why don't have Perry White as the new Daily Planet Director (and bring back some dignity to the show)... maybe budget problems?

July 08 2007 at 7:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabelle Carreau

According to an article I read last week, Justin Hartley said that he would be back this season. I haven't read a confirmation from the show's people though.

My guess is that the role will not be editor-in-chief anymore. Even in the Smallville world, it wouldn't make sense to have someone so young run such a big newspaper.

July 07 2007 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucyfan62

What?! No more Carrie Fisher?!?! Wait...Carrie Fisher was on "Smallville"?? I think I saw her maybe once, but yeah, they could have gotten someone a little older. And bring back Justin Hartley! Someone told me this will be the final season. True?

July 07 2007 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

He looks too young for the role. I think at this point on the show Tom Welling is a 30 year old playing a 20 year old. I think they should have Oliver Queen come back to woo Louis, then bring back Carrie Fisher and actually have her make a damn appearence! Or have Perry White get the job and bring back Michael McKean to play him. Or will he not do it anymore now that Annete O'Tool has left the show?

July 07 2007 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lankyguy

He does look way to young but then this IS the show with a 30 year old playing a teenager.

July 07 2007 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

I agree he looks WAY too young to be the editor-in-chief--but then, "Smallville" isn't exactly the most realistic show in the world (TWO people in love with Lana, instead of seeing her as a bore?)

He does look much better here with the short hair than he did in his "O.C." days. He'll make a good addition to the show, although I'd still rather see Justin Hartley come back and be a regular. His character has all the personality that Clark's is lacking.

July 07 2007 at 11:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply