July 28, 2014

24 writers are sent back to work

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Jul 9th 2007 3:40PM
24 TV Guide's Michael Ausiello reports that the production of Season 7 of FOX's hit show 24 will be delayed. The reason: Fox asked for a complete rewrite of the storyline writers came with for the upcoming season.

The trashed plot was not revolving around Quebec separatists, as a rumor back in mid-April revealed. Instead, the show was set to partially take place in Africa. However, that turned out to be too expensive which is why FOX asked for a new storyline.
Ausiello reports that before opting for a rewrite, the show tried to find a location that could be used to shoot the Africa scenes but didn't find what they needed.

Not much is known about the upcoming seventh season other than that Jack and Chloe are back and that they are looking for an actress to play the new president. It's unlikely that the new rewrites will affect those three casting items.

Production of new episodes should start around mid-August now. Fans should not worry as it's unlikely it will have the network postpone the premiere date since the show will have a good number of episodes ready when 24 returns on FOX.

Allan

Wow, a season about Quebec separatists. I don't know if I will be able to stand the excitement. The world will be hanging on every word.

July 15 2007 at 1:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Another writer's strike? Wow. I guess reality TV isn't going anywhere soon.

Anyway, I bet Fox scrapped it because it sucked, nothing else. I bet they wish they has done the same thing last season.

July 10 2007 at 9:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Whoa. Isabelle Carreau. Trippy...please tell me if I will be rich some day.

July 10 2007 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

I have a feeling that the scraping of next season's plot may be due to the possibility of a writers' strike. The Writers Guild contract expires in late October, and negotiations between the guild and industry management are going to take place in the next couple of weeks to reach a new agreement. Right now, things are not looking promising.

The networks are preparing for a potential strike. They have ordered extra scripts for their main series so they can continue shooting if the strike happens. 24 is a different story. Being a serial, they can't stockpile scripts. If the strike hits, and lasts for any serious length of time, the producers and writers of 24 are seriously screwed. They will probably only have a third to half of the season written by late October.

Actually, this may be the first sign that a strike is really coming. I'm wondering if the 24 producers know this, and are having to consider doing something "different" next season, like having a whole day in fewer episodes.

July 09 2007 at 11:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stone

A 24 story in Africa would've been amazing, but yeah, I see how that could be expensive. Somehow the Lost crew managed to film their Africa scenes (for Mr. Eko's backstory) in Hawaii so I don't think it's completely improbable.

Here's to hoping that they don't try to blow up LA this year...

July 09 2007 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabelle Carreau

jake: No the movie idea is not dead but they are focusing on the upcoming season first.

July 09 2007 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

Is the feature film idea now dead? I've heard nothing since the announcement last year.

July 09 2007 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

africa, that could have been interesting. the rewrite probably will be about quebec now because everyone knows how cheap it is to film in canada (see every movie made in the last 10 years) and kiefer could get back to the homeland.

it should be set in chicago. daley would bend over backwards (closing major streets, damn the traffic) to have more filming in the city.

July 09 2007 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

I just hope they keep Papa Bauer dead. That was a bad bad idea. As was most of last season.

July 09 2007 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply