September 18, 2014

Dead Like Me movie and series news

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Jul 9th 2007 4:04PM
Dead Like MeA little over two months ago, I told you that a made-for-DVD movie was in the works for Showtime's Dead Like Me. Ellen Muth, star of the series, announced on her MySpace page that she's been informed the series could make a come back on TV if the movie sells well.

In her post, Muth mentions a new concept being featured in the movie and that fans should give it a chance. Does that mean reapers will not get Post Its anymore?

Muth says that she is not allowed to talk about said new concept or the movie. The only info she does give is in answer to whether Mandy Patinkin is back or not: "It's no secret that Mandy has his own show now so he can't be involved in two at once so, there you go." In one reply to fan comments, the actress says "Change is the only thing in life that remains constant." After seeing that fans are reacting to the word "change" a little too much, the actress tries to reassure everyone by saying that "it's still the same story line [and] just a few new changes [are] being [because] Mandy isn't in it and because time, two years, have passed."

Ellen Muth also reveals that Bryan Fuller is not involved with the movie since he is working on Heroes. Muth says that if the series comes back to life it is possible it won't be on Showtime. She doesn't know if it will be on Sci Fi or another network. "I think the producers will have to shop it around," she answers.

I expect changes as the characters surely evolved since they are doing a time jump between the last episode and the movie. I'm all for change but there is such a thing as too much changes. What do you hope for the movie and said new concept?

Will you buy the made-for-DVD Dead Like Me movie?
Yes6542 (98.7%)
No86 (1.3%)

Dansemacabre

I've only just heard about this project and although I am incredibly excitied about it's return, I am of course concered about the said 'changes'. From IMDB it appears that the actress playing Daisy has been replaced once again - this concerns me most perhaps (more so than Rube's removal even). I love the show - but I can't help but think that it's been left too long for a successful return to television. Plus Bryan Fuller isn't involved in the project either (Wonderfalls) (which also shoouldn't have ever left our screens). I sense trouble ahead......sadly.

November 23 2007 at 5:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paulette Miller

I have both seasons of Dead Like Me and have lent it out to several people and they are ALL addicted to it too. After I told them that the series is canceled by Showtime for some real stupid stuff, they were mad and some actually canceled Showtime in protest...WOW!I was SO very happy to tell them it was coming as a movie!!!

September 22 2007 at 3:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary

Any current news on the movie or show? I loved it when it was on, got my daughter hooked on reruns. Loved the original book it was based on, had the entire Incarnations of Immortality book set.

September 19 2007 at 4:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jo Ann wilkinson

I'm absolutely crazy about the series. Bought both sets of DVDs and watch them a lot.
Found them after they were cancelled, but very happy about the movie.
Will miss Laura Harris. I agree, should be a new character. Loved her.
Heard Mandy walked out on Criminal Minds, AND the old Chicago Hope. Oh well, he's entitled to be eccentric, because I think he's that good. Would still watch anything he does in the future.
joannwilkie

August 21 2007 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
werewolf

think showtime was dumb as hell to let dead like me go am really happy that they are making movie will have it as soon as it comes out just like the 2 seasons watch them all the time

August 20 2007 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anneliese

I'm really not happy about Mandy not being part of a movie. *le sigh*

August 14 2007 at 7:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gwen Finer

I can confirm for certain that the movie has wrapped up (as of 7/26/07). I saw Ellen Muth at ComicCon on Saturday and spoke briefly with a gentleman who accompanied her at the booth. I almost missed her entirely, but my husband stopped me and the gentleman (much amused by our amazement) explained that she'd just wrapped up filming two days before. Hope she got some sleep, poor thing looked exhausted, but smiling and friendly with everyone.

July 30 2007 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
caanan

This show ended WAY too early. I'm hoping Roxy (who was remarked as being the 'mother' of the group by Kiffany) steps up into Rube's position. And they never developed that relationship between Reggie and the animal reaper. Plus, they had that moment in the last episode where that Happy Time employee - the creepy one - overheard 'Millie' talking about herself as George then calling up her 'deceased' file. There's still SO much they could do. Laura Harris will be missed though. WHY replace an actress? Better to make a new character. (Although Sarah Chalke on Roseanne remains the exception :o)

July 30 2007 at 4:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HappyThoughtsOfDLM

With today's announcement that Mandy has quit "Criminal Minds," perhaps we have a more realistic chance of seeing him revive Rube in the movie [and, hopefully, the series!].

I'm strongly hoping to see Rebecca Gayheart back as Betty. I NEVER liked Daisy...ugh...but I'd love to find out where Betty went when she jumped off the cliff with the guy she had just reaped.

There was still so much to find out about each of the characters, and so many more storylines to explore--George's family, Crystal (what WAS she doing with all those Post-It notes?), Kiffany (why didn't she find it odd when the reapers were talking to the un-dead?), Delores Herbig...as in HER BIG BROWN EYES!, and so on. Let's hope they get the chance to do it.

July 17 2007 at 1:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

It's Showtimes fault. They didn't even want to give it a second season. it is VERY well known that the Showtime president at that time was a jackass and canceled EVERY sci-fi show on the network even when the ratings were good / great.

I have never heard trouble with MGM, but I will continue to blame Showtime.

July 13 2007 at 11:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply