October 2, 2014

John from Cincinnati: His Visit: Day Four

by Julia Ward, posted Jul 9th 2007 12:36AM
John from Cincinnati His Visit Day Four

(S01E05)
What was going on in this episode? I don't know Butchie instead. Is Zippy your personal Lord and Savior? I don't know Butchie instead. Would you keep watching this show if you weren't reviewing it? I don't know Butchie instead.

Up until, say, an hour ago, I was mildly obsessed with John from Cincinnati. I love David Milch. I can deal with weird, and the only other thing I've been watching on television this summer is mini-Top Chef marathons on Bravo. Then, this episode comes along and, well, underwhelms. This is the halfway point of the ten episode season, and let's face it, the likelihood of there being a second season is on par with the likelihood of John taking an actual dump. Theoretically, these episodes should be coalescing into little gems. Granted, we're dealing with a flawed diamond here, but there have been glimpses of greatness - the Sarah Brightman scene, the "See God" halfpipe moment, etc.

This episode was a bit of a disappointment. Even the music wasn't as dead-on as it usually is. It seemed like an exposition episode - putting various actors in place for the eventual cosmic checkmate coming to us in the season's second half, but the biggest bummer of them all - the prominent role played by Cissy "home perm" Yost. This show would be so much more pleasurable if there were no Yosts in it at all. No whiny, soul surfing, self-serving Mitch. No golden child Shaunie, and God bless her, no Cissy. The scene with her banging on the side of Kai's trailer was laughably bad. Who's directing that poor, histrionic woman? If anyone is in need of a little miracle mojo, it's Cissy. Maybe John could prevent her from bursting a blood vessel and send her to anger management school on the astral plane.

And, what of John this week? Hanging out with Cass, who seems to think she'll get bumped up from "Wise Man Number Three" to "Virgin Mary" in the Christmas Pageant by letting the holy man cop a feel. Wonder what she'll see on that tape of John hugging it out Lucha Libre-style? At least, I appreciated those sequences more than I did seeing Linc and Tina play games or poor Vietnam Joe figuring out that he, too, may have been a victim of a divine, frat boy intervention. (Alright, the "go f@ck yourself" automated finger was pretty funny, and Jim Beaver rules even if I'm just experiencing residual affection from his Deadwood days.)

The more interesting of our characters only put in cameo appearances this week. Freddy's prepping for a bloodbath and Zippy's still doling out mandates to a lonely Bill. I stand by my proposal for the all Steady Freddy hour, and with this much Cissy on the horizon, I'd gladly take a larger helping of Barry, Ramon and Lawyer Dickstein. Where were those three? I hope they were out surfing because no one else seems to get to surf much on the surf show.

I've still got the John from Cincinnati faith, but this episode tried even my patience. Fortunately, the preview for next week looked mighty interesting. At least having John and Bill in close proximity won't be boring. "I've got my eye on you."

Anonymous

I disagree with your review. There is no way that in this one slow episode could I be completely turned away from a series that is indubitably more interesting than most any other series I have ever watched. While the episode itself, I will admit was relatively slow compared to the previous ones, it is most likely an episode designed to help build upon the plot. The only reason you all seem to be so disappointed by this episode is because it was less interesting than the rest, but it was still more interesting than most shows that are on now...

August 11 2007 at 8:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Z

The only line I really liked in this episode was when John said "The camera's up in the air" to Cass. Do you think when she looks at the recording it will show things she didn't see when taking it? I agree this show wasn't as good as the first 4 but I am still hooked! Why did John pick the Yost's to visit? Do you think the initials of John from Cincinatti (JC) have any significance? John's wound is in the same place as JC. Is the Hotel going to become the location of some big event? Who is in room 24 with the black socks? Some things I know, some things I don't. Great show!

July 14 2007 at 10:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

The Yosts are the trunk. Bill and Freddie and Cass and Linc and Barry and Ramon are the leaves that make the tree beautiful, but without the Yosts they'd just be floating there like Mitch on a meditation bender. I'm not sure where John fits into my analogy. The bark maybe?

Anyway, I'm glad I wasn't the only one disappointed by this episode. This show has so much to offer, it is just a let-down when it doesn't exceed my expectations.

July 13 2007 at 11:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hank

pretty much agree. a big let down after the second half of last week's episode. it would definitely be more interesting without 3 of the 4 Yosts.

July 09 2007 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

John seemed to be creating few more original statements in this episode.
Beyond that, yes, a suckfest indeed. Why do we care about the Yosts? More importantly why do all these characters care so goddamn much about the Yosts?

What I wouldn't give for John to pull Al Swearengen or Farnum or Jane or even Wu out of his magic pockets. (i'd love to see John get into a repitition loop with Al, "You're a cocksucker" "I AM a cocksucker.")

Err, am I allowed to say cocksucker on TV squad?

July 09 2007 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

This was the first episode I didn't like. I really didn't understand the Cass plot thread. I'm not sure what purpose the Linc-has-chest-pain-but-wants-to-boink-Tina thread served, except as filler around the Tina/Shaunie thread which was the only thing that made sense to me this episode.

BTW, I found myself uttering out loud that I hoped Kai wouldn't off herself in her trailer. For a few seconds there, Milch had me on the edge of my seat.

July 09 2007 at 9:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
az1324

no one else seems to get to surf much on the surf show.

I think you're dancing around two important themes there.

July 09 2007 at 6:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teddy

One of the key points of David Milch's work is that the gray area between good and bad -- the villains have a lot of redeeming qualities, while the heroes can be self-righteous and annoying. So is Mitch an annoying hero, or a villain in the place where the hero should be? I could see him as a "fallen angel," since his injury took him out of the heavenly realm of surfing. The only question is whether he'll take others with him.

How is it that downtown Imperial Beach is more crowded with fun-loving crazies than Canal Street on Mardi Gras? If that's the way things are every weekend there, it would be a nice place to visit. (There was a hilarious shout-out to "The O.C." from one of the gang types who hurt on John last week: "This is how we do it in I.B.")

July 09 2007 at 1:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bmcclure

I agree it was boring, but every show has one or two bridge episodes. Don't lose the faith.

July 09 2007 at 1:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Man I hated this episode. Cissy Yost...what a joke... The worst TV character of all time. I almost stopped watching at the trailer scene or put the TV on mute. I've gone from addicted to pissed off and ready to quit in one episode.

July 09 2007 at 1:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply